Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Im currently doing my titration AS chemistry coursework(OCR) here is the question:

    I have been provided with 250cm3 of a solution which has been made such that it contains approximately 2.5 g dm-3 of calcium hydrogen carbonate. Also available is nitric acid , which has a concentration of exactly 2.00 mol dm-3 the acid is to concentrated and I will need to dilute it.
    I have to plan an experiment which will allow me to determine the concentration in mol dm-3 of the calcium hydrogen carbonate in the solution as accurately as possible. I am allowed to use normal laboratory apparatus and indicator solutions are available I may not use any other chemicals.

    I dont no which indicator to use for the titration either: methyle orange or phenolphthalene. which 1 shall i use and y

    to decide on indicator: think about if it is a strong/weak acid and base and look up the pH ranges over which the indicators change colour. (Look up titration curves as well).

    To plan the experiment, I would suggest: work out the approximate concentration of the calcium hydrogencarbonate, and dilute the acid down to approximately the same concentration. Titrate 25cm^3 aliquot of acid using a burette. From this you should be able to work out the concentration of base using the exact conc of the acid.

    Hope that gets you started.

    you may also find this site useful


    (look especially at the bottom of the page)

University open days

  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.