Watch
DeadChairSwinger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
UK unis, just in general, not subject-specific

S Tier - Oxford, Cambridge

A Tier - LSE, UCL, Imperial, St Andrews, Warwick, Edinburgh, Durham(?)

B Tier - Bath, Durham(?), Loughborough, Lancaster, Exeter, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow, KCL, Southampton, York, Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield, Cardiff

too many to do after that but what do you think
natasha_13822
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DeadChairSwinger)

B Tier - Bath, Durham(?), Loughborough, Lancaster, Exeter, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow, KCL, Southampton, York, Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield, Cardiff

I'd put durham in A but I'd def put KCL there too it's really prestigious. As for the B tier, I'd probably have to split it more since unis like Bristol and Manchester are arguably better than Sheffield and Cardiff but it's more or less correct.
DeadChairSwinger
Rep:
?
(Original post by natasha_13822)
I'd put durham in A but I'd def put KCL there too it's really prestigious. As for the B tier, I'd probably have to split it more since unis like Bristol and Manchester are arguably better than Sheffield and Cardiff but it's more or less correct.
there's high B and low B but I don't think Sheffield belongs in C, C would be like liverpool and Notts Trent
jebjeb27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think Bath, Bristol, Manchester and Exeter should go in an A- tier
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I stopped reading after Oxford

What's the point? It's highly course dependent, and you need the right environment to perform at your best, which probably won't match your list order.
DeadChairSwinger
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
I stopped reading after Oxford

What's the point? It's highly course dependent, and you need the right environment to perform at your best, which probably won't match your list order.
the point is a bit of fun
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. It seems very arbitrary to me.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

It honestly doesn't matter. It's what the uni means to you in terms of the course that really counts.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, because this isn't measurable and is course dependent
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exactly, according to Guardian, for Medicine: Dundee (1st), Aberdeen (2nd) and Edinburgh (3rd) came before Oxford (4th); and Brighton Sussex (5th) before Cambridge (6th); then it's Swansea (7th), Keele (8th) and St Andrews (9th). Leeds is 10th.

Right at the bottom, you have Hull York (33rd) in 3rd bottom, Manchester (32nd) 4th from bottom, KCL (31st) 5th from bottom and Nottingham (29th) 7th from bottom (there are 35 med schools in this list).
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
No, because this isn't measurable and is course dependent
Exactly, I agree.
Anumu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Exactly, according to Guardian, for Medicine: Dundee (1st), Aberdeen (2nd) and Edinburgh (3rd) came before Oxford (4th); and Brighton Sussex (5th) before Cambridge (6th); then it's Swansea (7th), Keele (8th) and St Andrews (9th). Leeds is 10th.

Right at the bottom, you have Hull York (33rd) in 3rd bottom, Manchester (32nd) 4th from bottom, KCL (31st) 5th from bottom and Nottingham (29th) 7th from bottom (there are 35 med schools in this list).
I don't think that really relates to it being course dependant though, that's just blatant inaccuracies, which happens in most league tables. For example, Dundee ranks higher than Durham for law, when clearly in every single aspect Dundee is inferior.

I do agree with that its course dependant, but you can somewhat generalise them to tiers.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anumu)
I don't think that really relates to it being course dependant though, that's just blatant inaccuracies, which happens in most league tables. For example, Dundee ranks higher than Durham for law, when clearly in every single aspect Dundee is inferior.

I do agree with that its course dependant, but you can somewhat generalise them to tiers.
Well for Medicine where you graduate doesn't matter at all anyway, since NHS is a monopoly employer and for specialty training the assessors are blind as to which med school you got your degree from.

Another meaure: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44413086 - salary discrepancies between unis - for Medicine and Dentistry Oxbridge is 7th or 8th for men, not even in the top 11 for women.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
RoyalBeams
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Quite rubbish when you are putting the likes of Warwick, St Andrews and Durham at the same level with Imperial, LSE and UCL.
AndyChow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LSE is S tier in terms of prestige, many students in my year chose them over Cambridge and I regret not going.
Imperial is in the awkward place between S & A
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Accurate when looking generally at the universities
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where’s Liverpool?
DeadChairSwinger
Rep:
?
(Original post by hootdoot04)
Where’s Liverpool?
C tier, bottom RG
RoyalBeams
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The real tiers are:

A Tier - LSE, UCL, Imperial

B1 Tier - Edinburgh, KCL

B2 Tier - Durham, St Andrews, Manchester, Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham

C Tier - Rest of Russell Group
Anumu
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RoyalBeams)
The real tiers are:

A Tier - LSE, UCL, Imperial

B1 Tier - Edinburgh, KCL

B2 Tier - Durham, St Andrews, Manchester, Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham

C Tier - Rest of Russell Group
Edinburgh and KCL are not their own tier. Durham and Warwick if anything deserve their own tier above Edinburgh. I base that off their entry requirements and the fact they don't use as many admissions tests.
Last edited by Anumu; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
14.71%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (32)
23.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (60)
44.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
14.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.94%

Watched Threads