How to become an actor?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I really want to do acting as a career I have recently just turned 18 and had a sudden interest in it. I have very little experience. Any advice on how I can be an actor?
dardasiya
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm not an actor or anything myself - just guessing these could be some options:

I'd guess there are quite a few routes. I think some actors start out by getting experience as Extras - more to observe what the world of acting is like before you go into it headfirst. Other people go to drama school or acting classes. Other people get private acting classes. Some people go straight in and try out for open auditions. Some people experiment with collaborating on acting for youtube videos, student films or even music videos to help gain experience. Even something like debating or toastmastering can help coz it's practice in performing (that's how the actor Josh Gad started out - you can put "Josh Gad debate" into youtube to see).

If you are attracted to one sort of acting world more than another it helps give you direction - eg theatre vs film vs tv vs improv
Last edited by dardasiya; 6 months ago
username5457326
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I really want to do acting as a career I have recently just turned 18 and had a sudden interest in it. I have very little experience. Any advice on how I can be an actor?
acting classes is a good option to start with
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hello

That is possible. There are several entry routes into the industry. For example you could study it at a local college for a few years. Alternatively you could contact local or foreign theatres and cinemas to find out if they offer work experience or not.
A third pathway is to learn all about the acting world and what to expect whilst working behind the scenes on a tv show that is made for Netflix or a movie. Number four option is to assist behind the scenes with physically disabled folk who love acting. Fifth option is to call or email agencies directly to enquire about any unfilled vacancies at present.
Again teamwork skills are needed. And strong communication ability. You will also need to possess a levelheaded attitude, a growth mindset, a willingness to learn, patience and the ability to stay calm under pressure too. The ability to handle rejection professionally is not a option either.
Good luck. If you have any real life experience of directing or acting in plays at school that is a advantage. It helps also if you have experience of acting in any shape or form. No job is too small really. If you have any valuable experience of working hard behind the scenes that counts. Honestly making it in the acting world is far more about the right skillset and experience more than any qualification.
chopingirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Get involved with some local theatre productions near you and see how you get on. If you like it, you could get an agent or join an acting website which advertises jobs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (28)
26.92%
No (76)
73.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed