GCSE grades for dentistry

Watch this thread
Ayxsh
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently in Year 11 and with my mocks coming in two weeks I’m quite anxious about the grades I will get considering I’m looking to join a grammar sixth form and then go on to do dentistry.

My current predicted grades are:
Biology 7
Chemistry 7
English Lang 6+
English Lit 6+
German 6
History 6
ICT Level 2 pass
Maths 7
Physics 7
R.E 8+

At A-level I want to take chemistry, biology, maths and Psychology as well as maths maybe. The sixth form I want to apply to requires a 7 in chemistry biology maths and a 6 in English Langauge. I’m not sure if this is enough and whether I’ll even be able to achieve these grades.

If anyone’s got any advice I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Dentistry typically requires 6s in English lit/Lang, maths and sciences as a general rule of thumb but there are dental schools that require 7s and some that require 8s.
You should aim for 6/7/8s as a baseline but understand that GCSE grades are are factor considered in the shortlisting process of applicants for many dental schools, therefore the better your GCSEs, the higher your chances of an interview offer.
Take a look at this link which lists the GCSE requirements of all the dental schools as of 2020.

Also you don’t need to do 5 A Levels, it’ll only increase the stress on yourself and increase your likelihood of doing less well than you’d like. 5 A levels also doesn’t give you any advantage over an applicant with 3 A Levels so there’s really no incentive for doing that.
Ayxsh
Rep:
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Dentistry typically requires 6s in English lit/Lang, maths and sciences as a general rule of thumb but there are dental schools that require 7s and some that require 8s.
You should aim for 6/7/8s as a baseline but understand that GCSE grades are are factor considered in the shortlisting process of applicants for many dental schools, therefore the better your GCSEs, the higher your chances of an interview offer.
Take a look at this link which lists the GCSE requirements of all the dental schools as of 2020.

Also you don’t need to do 5 A Levels, it’ll only increase the stress on yourself and increase your likelihood of doing less well than you’d like. 5 A levels also doesn’t give you any advantage over an applicant with 3 A Levels so there’s really no incentive for doing that.
Thank you so much for the reply, i know I need to be aiming for more 8s which I was working at in year 10 but since lockdown and my teacher changes those have all dropped. The sixth form I’m applying to requires you to take 4 Subjects in year 12 and then you drop your weakest one in year 13. I’m scared I won’t get in after all the effort I’ve put in for the past 3 years of high school so I’m really unsure off what to do now.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ayxsh)
Thank you so much for the reply, i know I need to be aiming for more 8s which I was working at in year 10 but since lockdown and my teacher changes those have all dropped. The sixth form I’m applying to requires you to take 4 Subjects in year 12 and then you drop your weakest one in year 13. I’m scared I won’t get in after all the effort I’ve put in for the past 3 years of high school so I’m really unsure off what to do now.
Keep trying and don’t give up. It’s a really stressful time for all students but we just have to do what we can. What are you struggling with at the moment?

My sixth form also made us choose 4 A Levels and then drop one in year 13 which was good because I got an AS in a 4th subject which added to my UCAS points when I was applying for Barts dental school (I did the Linear A Levels like you will, but my school still did the official AS exams so we got an official AS certificate, in case you were wondering).
iBogChemistry
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It really depends on what Sixth Form college you want to go to! I'm also looking at a career in Dentistry and I need 7-8's to take the subjects I need for A-Level e.g Chemistry. Looking at your current predicted grades I'd say you're well on your way, Good Luck!!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

I agree
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iBogChemistry)
It really depends on what Sixth Form college you want to go to! I'm also looking at a career in Dentistry and I need 7-8's to take the subjects I need for A-Level e.g Chemistry. Looking at your current predicted grades I'd say you're well on your way, Good Luck!!
No you should be looking at what universities want from you, not sixth forms. It’s all well and good getting into a sixth form, but if your GCSEs don’t meet the requirements of dental schools, you won’t get far into dentistry.
Ayxsh
Rep:
No you should be looking at what universities want from you, not sixth forms. It’s all well and good getting into a sixth form, but if your GCSEs don’t meet the requirements of dental schools, you won’t get far into dentistry.
I'm looking at Birmingham as my first option mainly because they're very good in terms of their Dentistry course but also because its only 20 mins away from me. My second option would probably be Glasgow or Warwick as the grade requirements are more realistic for me in particular.
Ayxsh
Rep:
(Original post by iBogChemistry)
Thank You!
Yes the Sixth Form I'm applying to requires a 7 in maths, chemistry and biology and I have mocks from the 30th so hopefully I get the grades I need to get a place/ interview. I've been revising non-stop but it's starting to get a bit overwhelming to be honest
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ayxsh)
I'm looking at Birmingham as my first option mainly because they're very good in terms of their Dentistry course but also because its only 20 mins away from me. My second option would probably be Glasgow or Warwick as the grade requirements are more realistic for me in particular.
Warwick don’t offer dentistry.
Ayxsh
Rep:
Warwick don’t offer dentistry.
Oh i didn't realise that, thank you for the help though much apprecited.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ayxsh)
Oh i didn't realise that, thank you for the help though much apprecited.
No problem, if need anything else let me know
sof1a_2005
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Ayxsh)
I’m currently in Year 11 and with my mocks coming in two weeks I’m quite anxious about the grades I will get considering I’m looking to join a grammar sixth form and then go on to do dentistry.

My current predicted grades are:
Biology 7
Chemistry 7
English Lang 6+
English Lit 6+
German 6
History 6
ICT Level 2 pass
Maths 7
Physics 7
R.E 8+

At A-level I want to take chemistry, biology, maths and Psychology as well as maths maybe. The sixth form I want to apply to requires a 7 in chemistry biology maths and a 6 in English Langauge. I’m not sure if this is enough and whether I’ll even be able to achieve these grades.

If anyone’s got any advice I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!
What grammar school for sixth form are you thinking of applying to? Sorry, I am just asking as I went to one in surrey, from years 7-11 and then moved to a state school for years 12-13. I am interested in people's thoughts on grammar schools.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
12%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (6)
6%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
17%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
21%

Watched Threads