[Chemistry A2] Diatomic molecules in Born Haber cycles

Watch
itslibster
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I've been working pretty well with born Haber cycles and I can draw them out fine but when it comes to the calculations I'm stumped with diatomic molecules.

It comes really to molecules like Cl2(g)--> 2Cl(g) or 1/2 Cl2(g)--> Cl (g) with bond dissociation and atomisation.

When is it appropriate to halve or double given values for enthalpy of atomisation or dissociation?

Examples
1) 1/2 F2(g) --> F(g)
2) F2(g)--> 2F(g)
(enthalpy of atomisation of fluorine= +79kj/mol)

Where is it halved or doubled? this is definitely the part I fall down on lol. also, what is the difference between bond dissociation and atomisation when it comes to diatomic molecules??
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by itslibster)
I've been working pretty well with born Haber cycles and I can draw them out fine but when it comes to the calculations I'm stumped with diatomic molecules.

It comes really to molecules like Cl2(g)--> 2Cl(g) or 1/2 Cl2(g)--> Cl (g) with bond dissociation and atomisation.

When is it appropriate to halve or double given values for enthalpy of atomisation or dissociation?

Examples
1) 1/2 F2(g) --> F(g)
2) F2(g)--> 2F(g)
(enthalpy of atomisation of fluorine= +79kj/mol)

Where is it halved or doubled? this is definitely the part I fall down on lol. also, what is the difference between bond dissociation and atomisation when it comes to diatomic molecules??
Decide on how many atoms you need and use:
Enthalpy of atomisation makes 1 mol of atoms
Bond enthalpy breaks 1 mol of bonds and makes 2 mol of atoms
itslibster
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by charco)
Decide on how many atoms you need and use:
Enthalpy of atomisation makes 1 mol of atoms
Bond enthalpy breaks 1 mol of bonds and makes 2 mol of atoms
thanks! So for example 1 it's atomisation and the number remains the same, but for example 2 it's bond dissociation? If I was given the atomisation enthalpy and example 2, I'd double the value right?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by itslibster)
thanks! So for example 1 it's atomisation and the number remains the same, but for example 2 it's bond dissociation? If I was given the atomisation enthalpy and example 2, I'd double the value right?
yes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (59)
38.31%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (16)
10.39%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (7)
4.55%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (34)
22.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
15.58%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
9.09%

Watched Threads