The Student Room Group

iPhone 12 sent to my house by accident?

Scroll to see replies

Ok guys new info: my mum didn’t sign for the package. The courier left it in front of our door and then walked away from our house, so when my mum opened the door, the courier used some kind of scanner (looks like a barcode) and scanned the package or something. Does it still allow me to return it?
Original post by Anonymous
Ok guys new info: my mum didn’t sign for the package. The courier left it in front of our door and then walked away from our house, so when my mum opened the door, the courier used some kind of scanner (looks like a barcode) and scanned the package or something. Does it still allow me to return it?

@Reality Check is amazing at giving advice, can you help OP please?
Guys I really don’t know what to do, how can I return the phone? It says that the provider is EE. Should I contact them first?

How do you know the provider is EE? If it came with an EE SIM as well then odds are this person ordered from EE and put the wrong address. If you've turned the phone on to find that out, why the hell are you opening the phone? You can contact EE, explain what has happened and get them to sort it out.

If you don't know for sure that it's EE, contact DPD as many others have said. Explain that the parcel arrived at your house but isn't for you. They will be able to return it to the sender. Rules on signing packages are relaxed due to COVID, but your mum should still have checked the adressee. Regardless just get in contact with either EE or DPD and explain what's happened, it's not that complex.

The iPhone scam being mentioned is probably a text message claiming to come from Royal Mail. An attacker cannot take money from your bank account just because you signed for a phone at the wrong address. Lets stop that scaremongering, this is more likely a case of "the real buyer put the wrong address by accident".
maybe search the person on Facebook/ask around if anyone knows them in your area?
Hi guys, I got a delivery package from DPD with an iPhone 12 inside (which I didn’t order). I’ve been trying to trace the person who ordered it by searching up the postcode but the postcode shows my road, and the sticker tag on the package has my door number. There’s no road/street name mentioned on the package, just a name, door number and postcode, what should I do? If this is a scam, what can I do to stop them?

Happened to a friend as well. It's a scam you'll receive a call from someone in a bit telling you to return it, saying its from a random company. Be careful
Original post by AcseI
How do you know the provider is EE? If it came with an EE SIM as well then odds are this person ordered from EE and put the wrong address. If you've turned the phone on to find that out, why the hell are you opening the phone? You can contact EE, explain what has happened and get them to sort it out.

If you don't know for sure that it's EE, contact DPD as many others have said. Explain that the parcel arrived at your house but isn't for you. They will be able to return it to the sender. Rules on signing packages are relaxed due to COVID, but your mum should still have checked the adressee. Regardless just get in contact with either EE or DPD and explain what's happened, it's not that complex.

The iPhone scam being mentioned is probably a text message claiming to come from Royal Mail. An attacker cannot take money from your bank account just because you signed for a phone at the wrong address. Lets stop that scaremongering, this is more likely a case of "the real buyer put the wrong address by accident".

I didn’t open the phone or anything else that came with it. I only opened the package (to see what was inside). I could tell it was from EE since there were also a pack on SIM cards alongside the phone. My mum didn’t sign for anything, she just picked it up and went back in. I ordered some clothes last week so she opened the package thinking it was my new clothes but it turned out to be the phone. We haven’t touched the contents of the package since
I didn’t open the phone or anything else that came with it. I only opened the package (to see what was inside). I could tell it was from EE since there were also a pack on SIM cards alongside the phone. My mum didn’t sign for anything, she just picked it up and went back in. I ordered some clothes last week so she opened the package thinking it was my new clothes but it turned out to be the phone. We haven’t touched the contents of the package since

There was also a letter from EE stating the contents of the package

Sorry I meant to say that I opened the package, and my mum was standing by
Original post by bambi1425
maybe search the person on Facebook/ask around if anyone knows them in your area?

I’ve done this but no ones heard of the name. I’m convinced it’s a fake name because it could be a scam but I honestly don’t know
Happened to a friend as well. It's a scam you'll receive a call from someone in a bit telling you to return it, saying its from a random company. Be careful

But the addressees name was not anyone’s name in my family, how would they be able to get our contact number?
But the addressees name was not anyone’s name in my family, how would they be able to get our contact number?

It wasn't in the name of my friend either. I have no idea how they got it to their house or how they got their number. Just wanted to let you know that it's happening to other people too
I’ve done this but no ones heard of the name. I’m convinced it’s a fake name because it could be a scam but I honestly don’t know

that is odd and definitely air on the side of caution then :/ prolly contact dpd and/or EE to see if they can help
It wasn't in the name of my friend either. I have no idea how they got it to their house or how they got their number. Just wanted to let you know that it's happening to other people too

How long ago did this happen to your friend? Have they done anything to get back their money since? I’m sorry to hear rhis
How long ago did this happen to your friend? Have they done anything to get back their money since? I’m sorry to hear rhis

It happened today. They didn't lose any money from it. They just had an iPhone 12 shipped to their house and a caller telling them to return it to them, talking about a contract
It happened today. They didn't lose any money from it. They just had an iPhone 12 shipped to their house and a caller telling them to return it to them, talking about a contract

How did they return the phone safely to the provider/courier without losing money? Who did they contact to get this done?
How did they return the phone safely to the provider/courier without losing money? Who did they contact to get this done?

They didn't return it yet. They contacted the company that sent it to them, I think it was EE, and EE told them to report fraud because the caller was telling them to sign a contract, claiming they were with EE when they weren't.
They didn't return it yet. They contacted the company that sent it to them, I think it was EE, and EE told them to report fraud because the caller was telling them to sign a contract, claiming they were with EE when they weren't.

Ok I will contact EE and see what happens, thank you!
By the way, why are you anon?
Ok I will contact EE and see what happens, thank you!
By the way, why are you anon?

Good luck hope it gets resolved!
No reason, I just like being mysterious :hat2:

Then literally all you need to do is contact EE and explain what has happened, they'll sort it out. Problem solved
Reply 39
Hi guys, I got a delivery package from DPD with an iPhone 12 inside (which I didn’t order). I’ve been trying to trace the person who ordered it by searching up the postcode but the postcode shows my road, and the sticker tag on the package has my door number. There’s no road/street name mentioned on the package, just a name, door number and postcode, what should I do? If this is a scam, what can I do to stop them?

I would of kept it, ngl

then after 2 months if no one has come looking for it, try and sell it or use it for myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending