Absolute and Percentage Uncertainties

Watch
Dracorius
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Example: If I am given the equation, a = 2b + c, will all three variables be of the same units, if I'm asked to find the absolute uncertainty in "a"? And, do all three variables have to be of the same unit, if asked to find the percentage uncertainty in "a" instead?
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Dracorius)
Example: If I am given the equation, a = 2b + c, will all three variables be of the same units, if I'm asked to find the absolute uncertainty in "a"? And, do all three variables have to be of the same unit, if asked to find the percentage uncertainty in "a" instead?
a, b and c must all be in the same units if you add them.

The absolute uncertainty in a will be the sum of the 2 x absolute uncertainty in b plus the uncertainty in c.

The % uncertainty in a is then just calculated as usual for any % uncertainty value taking that total uncertainty you just found as a % of the final value.
Dracorius
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Stonebridge)
a, b and c must all be in the same units if you add them.

The absolute uncertainty in a will be the sum of the 2 x absolute uncertainty in b plus the uncertainty in c.

The % uncertainty in a is then just calculated as usual for any % uncertainty value taking that total uncertainty you just found as a % of the final value.
okay, what happens if the equation is a = b^2 + c? would the absolute uncertainty for a be the % uncertainty in b squared plus the % uncertainty in c?
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Dracorius)
okay, what happens if the equation is a = b^2 + c? would the absolute uncertainty for a be the % uncertainty in b squared plus the % uncertainty in c?
In this case, the units of b2 would have to be the same as the unit of c.

You do this by first finding the absolute uncertainty in b2 and adding it to the absolute uncertainty in c
To find the absolute uncertainty in b2, you first find the % uncertainty in b and multiply by 2.
Then convert that % uncertainty back to an absolute uncertainty in b2 before adding it, as said, to the absolute uncertainty in c.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (3)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
33.33%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
16.67%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (0)
0%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads