username5476302
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm picking my A-Level options soon, and was wondering if it would be fine to take A-Level Biology without taking another science. I'm planning on taking History and French, and was thinking of taking biology out of interest, possibly with core maths to complement it. Should I take biology, and if not, what do you suggest I take instead? Would I struggle without taking another science?

I'm also considering Computer Science, as I am taking the GCSE and I am quite decent at it. To anyone who takes Computer Science, how is it compared to the GCSE?
Last edited by username5476302; 2 months ago
c1student
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by meep10)
I'm picking my A-Level options soon, and was wondering if it would be fine to take A-Level Biology without taking another science. I'm planning on taking History and French, and was thinking of taking biology out of interest, possibly with core maths to complement it. Should I take biology, and if not, what do you suggest I take instead? Would I struggle without taking another science?
do you know what you want to study at uni? if you were planning on studying a science degree then you would benefit from taking another science subject, especially chemistry as bio and chem overlap quite a bit. however, you by no means will struggle with biology a-level bc you haven't done another science. ik plently of people who have just taken bio in my class but i would recommend taking maths if you are taking a science a-level bc it will be helpful as bio a-level has roughly 10% maths content in your exams

hope that helps!
DR2002
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi I guess it all depends on what you are planning to study at Uni whether biology is relevant for that course. In terms of taking it alongside another science/maths it doesn't matter. I took Biology/Chemistry/Maths/Physics. Part of physics helped my maths and visa versa but in terms of chemistry, the were elements of biology in there which gave me an advantage over rmy peers. Biology on its own is fine.
Last edited by DR2002; 2 months ago
username5476302
Rep:
?
(Original post by c1student)
do you know what you want to study at uni? if you were planning on studying a science degree then you would benefit from taking another science subject, especially chemistry as bio and chem overlap quite a bit. however, you by no means will struggle with biology a-level bc you haven't done another science. ik plently of people who have just taken bio in my class but i would recommend taking maths if you are taking a science a-level bc it will be helpful as bio a-level has roughly 10% maths content in your exams

hope that helps!
Thanks for your response! I plan on taking Languages at university, so Biology wouldn't necessarily be helpful, but I guess a break from the essays. I also take GCSE Statistics, which overlaps with the A-Level Maths course so I guess that would cut down on content to learn.
username5476302
Rep:
?
(Original post by DR2002)
Hi I guess it all depends on what you are planning to study at Uni whether biology is relevant for that course. In terms of taking it alongside another science/maths it doesn't matter. I took Biology/Chemistry/Maths/Physics. Part of physics helped my maths and visa versa but in terms of chemistry, the were elements of biology in there which gave me an advantage over rmy peers. Biology on its own is fine.
Thanks for your response! I plan to study Languages at university, so Biology wouldn't really be relevant, but I'm reluctant to take another essay-based subject. Chemistry is probably my weakest science so I'd like to avoid it where I can :lol:
c1student
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for your response! I plan on taking Languages at university, so Biology wouldn't necessarily be helpful, but I guess a break from the essays. I also take GCSE Statistics, which overlaps with the A-Level Maths course so I guess that would cut down on content to learn.
oh right i see! just to warn u if your school/college do aqa biology we have to write an essay (25 marks) in paper 3
username5476302
Rep:
?
(Original post by c1student)
oh right i see! just to warn u if your school/college do aqa biology we have to write an essay (25 marks) in paper 3
Thanks for the heads up! I would prefer that to English Literature to be honest.
MaliciousFlower
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I was the only one in my class who took computer science for A levels while I never took it for gcses, at first i was confused with gcse concepts but overall it isn't that hard and I don't think it would be that hard for someone who already has done the GCSE. The only hard thing about the course is the NEA
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (76)
17.92%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
29.01%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.74%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.07%

Watched Threads