11hkraus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am applying to study French and German at Cambridge University. I have looked at MML sample papers and I’m a bit confused about the question A in a foreign language. Do I have to take two tests (one for French and one for German) or can I pick which foreign language I answer the question in?
FrenchOwl2212
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 11hkraus)
I am applying to study French and German at Cambridge University. I have looked at MML sample papers and I’m a bit confused about the question A in a foreign language. Do I have to take two tests (one for French and one for German) or can I pick which foreign language I answer the question in?
Hi,

I presume you are studying both languages post Alevel. I think you can write the response in whatever language you want- it would be pointless to rewrite it in a different language. What college are you applying for?
Peaches267
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 11hkraus)
You can choose which language you want to answer it in
11hkraus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by FrenchOwl2212)
Hi,

I presume you are studying both languages post Alevel. I think you can write the response in whatever language you want- it would be pointless to rewrite it in a different language. What college are you applying for?
Thank you for replying! Yes, I’m studying both languages post A-level. That’s great because I’m much stronger in German. I’m applying to Clare College.
FrenchOwl2212
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How are you all finding the MML test? I’m applying for French and History, and I feel like I’m a lot stronger in the part B, however the part A being split 16/16 based on argument and language is something that I like.
Spanishstarfish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How are you all finding the MML test? I’m applying for French and History, and I feel like I’m a lot stronger in the part B, however the part A being split 16/16 based on argument and language is something that I like.
I also find part b easier !
gruffudd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Spanishstarfish)
I also find part b easier !

I go to a Welsh school so I haven't written much in English since GCSE so I'm struggling a bit with section B - I only found out today that I'm doing the test on the second of December!
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gruffudd)
I go to a Welsh school so I haven't written much in English since GCSE so I'm struggling a bit with section B - I only found out today that I'm doing the test on the second of December!
My college only told me yesterday, but I started practicing incase I would have to do the test at some point!
Clw_300
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I’m Chloe and I’m due to sit the admissions test this week. The word count for Section A is 250 words but does anyone know the word count for Section B or at least what is expected? Thank you 😊
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Clw_300)
Hi I’m Chloe and I’m due to sit the admissions test this week. The word count for Section A is 250 words but does anyone know the word count for Section B or at least what is expected? Thank you 😊
I think just as much as you write which is coherent and well structure etc in the time constraints
Clw_300
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok thank you. I’m really worried it’s going to be a random text and I’m not going to know any of the vocab in Spanish to do my Section A😬
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok thank you. I’m really worried it’s going to be a random text and I’m not going to know any of the vocab in Spanish to do my Section A😬
You are probably allowed a dictionary! Don’t panic, just do some timed practice ones
daisy_carter03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone, for the MML assessment tomorrow, how are you splitting section A of your answer? Like how many words are you using for the summary part and then how many for your opinion (of the 250 total)?
sarahwoodley
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I think I might split it evenly and do half for the summary and half for my opinion, but it does kind of depend on how coherent the author's argument is.
Clw_300
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys,
Are you planning on using dictionaries in the assessment tomorrow?
Thanks,
Chloe
Clw_300
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys,
How are you structuring the questions?
Thanks,
Chloe
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys,
Are you planning on using dictionaries in the assessment tomorrow?
Thanks,
Chloe
My college have said I may use one, so yep
Clw_300
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok great I think I have a Spanish to English dictionary in the house. What college are you applying for? I’m applying for Gonville and Caius ☺️
languagefairy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is there a hard limit for the word count in part A? I tend to go over!
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by languagefairy)
Is there a hard limit for the word count in part A? I tend to go over!
No, but it’s been advised to stick roughly to the 250 words
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
14.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (35)
24.82%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
43.26%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (21)
14.89%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed