Saba_27313
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Applying material from Item A and your knowledge, evaluate the view that ethnic differences in educational achievement are a result of factors outside the education system.
Item A There are significant ethnic differences in educational achievement. Some sociologists believe that factors outside the education system, such as parental attitudes to education, are important in explaining these differences. Variations in family and community life may also play a part. However, other sociologists argue that experiences within school are more important influences on the educational achievement on different ethnic groups. 20 Marks
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need to find case studies that argue both points, for and against the argument, then draw your own view based on what those studies say, and write a conclusion.
Joe Frazier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Start with an introduction summarising how ethnic differences affect achievement e.g which ethnicities consistently perform better than others at GCSE? Use statistics etc.

Then start using examples from the item - it is clear the examiner is looking for you to discuss internal and external factors so do exactly that. For each paragraph, dig deeper than what it says in the item and bring in some of your own examples. Do this by creating a chain of reasoning and finish by evaluating and then linking back to the question. It shouldn’t take you longer than 30 minutes, or at least, that’s how long you would have in the exam.

Remember to use sentence starters linking to the item e.g ‘As the Item says, ...’ or ‘Item A suggests...’. Remember it’s not just about regurgitating knowledge - the examiner wants to see how you an APPLY the knowledge to the item.

Sum up what you’ve said in a quick conclusion.
Last edited by Joe Frazier; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello

Use case studies to your advantage here. Compare and contrast the effects of education on families of all kinds as well. Make up short brief notes as you do your research online. When reading case studies, try to put the information into your own words. Based on those case studies, make a good informed decision wholly on your own taking into account the information. Draw up your own conclusions in addition.
Reference all sources which are used at the bottom of your sociology essay correctly in case. Make sure that you can depend on the information that you happen to read online. In other and more simpler words it is a good idea to see if you carefully check out the true quality of the actual source in question.
Refer back to the case study always for the best results. Then don't forget to add a short and snappy conclusion right down at the bottom of the essay. Set your essay out properly. Six paragraphs is fine.
elontusk123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You want to look at external factors, which are the factors outside the education system. As well as internal factors which are factors within education system. Because the question wants you to focus on external factors, I would recommend doing a couple of paragraphs on external factors. Make sure to add a theorists and evaluations throughout the paragraphs where you look at strengths and weaknesses of the theories/ideas. After doing external factors, then start a couple paragraphs on internal factors and follow the same structure I mentioned above. In the conclusion you can mention how both internal and external factors play a part in influencing ethnic differences in educational attainment.
Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
13.19%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (20)
21.98%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (40)
43.96%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
17.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
3.3%

Watched Threads