The Student Room Group

Access to HE Maths, online

Hi everyone,

I am looking for an Access to HE course in maths which I can take remotely. I am also interested in computer science (and maybe engineering), so a course in computer science and math would also be good. From what I could see, the only Open University course relevant is their 'Science, technology and maths Access module', but even that is mostly focused on science, and less on maths and IT.

Do you know of any good courses in maths (or IT)? Or maybe a good alternative to an access course which will give me a good background for a maths based subject?
Original post by timdr500
Hi everyone,

I am looking for an Access to HE course in maths which I can take remotely. I am also interested in computer science (and maybe engineering), so a course in computer science and math would also be good. From what I could see, the only Open University course relevant is their 'Science, technology and maths Access module', but even that is mostly focused on science, and less on maths and IT.

Do you know of any good courses in maths (or IT)? Or maybe a good alternative to an access course which will give me a good background for a maths based subject?

Hi, I'm currently studying via Learn direct, see link below. They have an engineering course maybe that will be useful.

https://www.learndirect.com/category/access-to-he-diploma-courses
Reply 2
Original post by Theloveofbooks
Hi, I'm currently studying via Learn direct, see link below. They have an engineering course maybe that will be useful.

https://www.learndirect.com/category/access-to-he-diploma-courses

I looked into them a bit, and saw that Ofsted rated them 'inadequate' in their last inspection, in 2017. Have they improved since then? How is your experience with them - good? Are the start and finish dates totally flexible? And do you know if they qualify for an advanced learner loan from the government?

Thanks very much.
Original post by timdr500
I looked into them a bit, and saw that Ofsted rated them 'inadequate' in their last inspection, in 2017. Have they improved since then? How is your experience with them - good? Are the start and finish dates totally flexible? And do you know if they qualify for an advanced learner loan from the government?

Thanks very much.

I must confess I didn't look at Ofsted, due to the fact that I was determined to achieve the best of my ability which is to get the grades into university
So far my experience is good nothing to complain about, my feedback from my tutor has been informative and useful. You start and have 2 years to complete. I will have no choice but to complete my course by June 30th although I will be asking my chosen university if I can potentially finish in July. To lift the pressure and stress a little.
I am unsure about the advanced learner loan, as they had 45% off I took the course and chose to pay in 10 monthly instalments. It'll definitely get you back into the studying mindset.
Reply 4
You will struggle to find an Access to HE Mathematics course.
They just are not popular enough.
Your best bet is finding an Access to HE in Science or Engineering with enough Mathematics credits.

What I'd do if I was you is contact the universities you might consider applying to and ask them if they accept an Access to HE course. If so how many math credits are required. This can range from about 9-21 usually.

Learndirect are a good company to use if you are an independent learner. Most of the critcism they get is because of the lack of support. Which is expected as you are going to get a lot less support compared to a traditional course. For most students they are not prepared for it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I spoke to learn direct, they do not qualify for an advanced learner loan.:frown:
pretty sure for the advanced learner loan you would need to attend college/ it be in person learning. Also before committing to an access course make sure you check entry requirements for universities you're interested in as some may want an a-level in maths as maths at university level is very challenging.
id recommend looking for an access to HE course in science/ engineering. There should be some universities you could into maths with this, and to make sure you know all the stuff needed just look at specifications for a-levels and learn it yourself from youtube etc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending