DavidACA96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I need to create a website similar to Xero/Quickbooks in terms of features and functionality but for a slightly different purpose.

For anyone who isn’t aware of these sites basically a user creates their own account and login, then they can enter their bank statement transactions and all sorts of other information to produce financial reports.

Does anyone know how hard this would be? What is the ‘easiest’ way to do this? I have no website development or coding skills at all so would I need to learn or could something like Wordpress be used?

Sorry I know I probably sound very inexperienced (I am) but I have a great idea I would love to have a go at bringing it to life.

Thank you all!
Kernel_Coder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There isn't exactly a "one size fits all" solution for this. You have a few different design options, something like this is typically split into two parts, a "frontend" and a "backend".

The frontend typically consists of a mixture of HTML/JavaScript/CSS and is essentially the actual website/interface that the end user will see.

The backend is the database and communication required for the frontend to save and load information. You have many choices of database (MSSQL, MySQL, PGSQL, No-Sql solutions, etc...) and a program which facilitates communicating with the frontend and the backend. Again, depending on the required complexity this could be written in anything from Python/Ruby/C#/C++/VB, etc...

For a project like this, security and hosting/deployment would also be a consideration, but that's another issue entirely.
Last edited by Kernel_Coder; 2 months ago
DavidACA96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Kernel_Coder)
There isn't exactly a "one size fits all" solution for this. You have a few different design options, something like this is typically split into two parts, a "frontend" and a "backend".

The frontend typically consists of a mixture of HTML/JavaScript/PHP and is essentially the actual website/interface that the end user will see.

The backend is the database and communication required for the frontend to save and load information. You have many choices of database (MSSQL, MySQL, PGSQL, No-Sql solutions, etc...) and a program which facilitates communicating with the frontend and the backend. Again, depending on the required complexity this could be written in anything from Python/Ruby/C#/C++/VB, etc...

For a project like this, security would also be a consideration, but that's another issue entirely.
Thank you for your reply, it’s much appreciated!

From the sound of things I’d have a lot to learn, probably too much, which is disappointing as I have the experience (Chartered Accountant) and the idea, just not the skills to bring the design to life!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
in that case hire someone
Kernel_Coder
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by DavidACA96)
Thank you for your reply, it’s much appreciated!

From the sound of things I’d have a lot to learn, probably too much, which is disappointing as I have the experience (Chartered Accountant) and the idea, just not the skills to bring the design to life!
No problem, glad to help.

I would actually recommend starting to learn 1-2 programming languages, it can be difficult to begin with, but as you're a Chartered Accountant, it's likely that you already have a logical mindset, and the necessary patience required to program. There's a tremendous amount of tutorials and guides on how to get started. It's much easier now than ever before.

I wish you luck, the funny thing is I'm a Software Engineer studying to become a financial adviser, and I'm hoping to get my Diploma in Regulated Financial Planning soon as I have a passion for finance.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Uhm.. since when was PHP the front-end lol..
Kernel_Coder
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Uhm.. since when was PHP the front-end lol..
Fairpoint, I haven't used PHP in almost a decade, my day job is a long way from web development (complete opposite end of the stack).
I just always associate it with generating/interacting heavily with the actual HTML, but yeah it's not really a frontend language.
Last edited by Kernel_Coder; 2 months ago
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Kernel_Coder)
Fairpoint, I haven't used PHP in almost a decade, my day job is a long way from web development (complete opposite end of the stack).
I just always associate it with generating/interacting heavily with the actual HTML, but yeah it's not really a frontend language.
Yeah.. at all.. :laugh:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (429)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (330)
43.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise