FizzPopBang
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey everyone,

I've just had some a level taster lessons, and I'm really conflicted on what to take. I want to do medicine in the future I think, and most unis that I'm thinking about require biology and chemistry, which I'm going to do. However for my 3rd option, I initially thought I was going to do psychology, as it is relevant to the sciences, but I really enjoyed the politics taster, and I've always been passionate about politics. I'm leaning towards taking politics instead, but is that a stupid decision because of what I want to do in the future?

I am also planning on doing an epq, which I thought if I don't do psychology, I was planning on doing my epq on something relevant to child development or something.

Can someone tell me what they think I should do?
Nautilus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by FizzPopBang)
Hey everyone,

I've just had some a level taster lessons, and I'm really conflicted on what to take. I want to do medicine in the future I think, and most unis that I'm thinking about require biology and chemistry, which I'm going to do. However for my 3rd option, I initially thought I was going to do psychology, as it is relevant to the sciences, but I really enjoyed the politics taster, and I've always been passionate about politics. I'm leaning towards taking politics instead, but is that a stupid decision because of what I want to do in the future?

I am also planning on doing an epq, which I thought if I don't do psychology, I was planning on doing my epq on something relevant to child development or something.

Definitely chemistry and biology. All medical schools ask for a minimum of AAA unless it is a contextual offer, so do the one that you think you will achieve an A in. Most medical schools are't fussy about the third subject, but what they want is someone who is academically able and passionate about wanting to study medicine. They also like to see students who can gain some kind of work experience, which is going to be a little difficult right now.
Krambo_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey everyone,

First of all Medicine is not a career you ‘think’ you want to do. You have to be 100% certain that you want to pursue it. If you’re not passionate about it then you’ll get depressed studying it for 5 long and hard years to only go on and become a junior doctor which will be your tipping point. Seriously consider your motivations to study medicine by doing work experience when it’s possible to do so. I’m not trying to put you off the career but a lot of people use medicine as a ‘filler’ if they don’t know what else to do which is a generally a bad idea. You still have lots of time to research other professions as well.
However, if you do want to pursue medicine, then in terms of A-levels, Biology and Chemistry is the safest combination of sciences which gives you the opportunity to apply to pretty much all universities. Now, me personally, I have never seen someone take politics as the third if they want to pursue medicine. Of course it’s acceptable and if you like the subject then definitely do it. I have, however, seen many people take psychology as the third. The choice is completely yours. Just be prepared to answer the question of how politics relates to the other two subjects you take and medicine. You might get asked this at an interview.
When it comes to EPQ, you can be really clever about this. It’s a great thing to put on your UCAS application and personal statement and you can even talk about it at your interview. Just keep the thought in mind that doing it on a medical related topic may give you an advantage. Some universities ask in their interviews about what medical research you’ve done and if you talk about the EPQ, automatically you have tons to say if you’ve done a medical related topic. Also when you talk about it in your personal statement it looks as if you’ve gone above and beyond to research areas within the profession which shows your interest and motivation in the career.
Although, if you want to do it on something psychology related then by all means do so. You still put it on your UCAS application and you can still put it in your personal statement and it is worth no less just because it’s not on something medical related. You may even get to talk about it at interviews because you learn and use all the same skills. But the majority people who want to do medicine and also do an EPQ will do it on a medical related area as it gives them that edge over others who haven’t done an EPQ, because it shows they’ve done that little bit extra to research the career which may help them later on.
imogenlillyjones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey everyone,

I looked it up on the internet by typing ' what a levels do you need for medicine' and this came up on the ucas website. Medicine requires three a levels at grade A in Chemistry and either biology , physics or maths , plus another academic subject.
If you are thinking of doing medicine surely math's would be more useful. If you do not not like math's you might want to think about which out of psychology or politics you would be able to get a better grade in. Psychology , is more relevant I would imagine although in politics you do learn skills which are applicable for a lot of different A levels. I have heard from other people that the psychology course content is really interesting , make sure to check the course you would follow to see if topics interest you , do the same with politics. Be aware that both psychology and politics do tend to require a lot of writing. This might not help but I wanted to give my opinion on the matter.
Krambo_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by imogenlillyjones)
I looked it up on the internet by typing ' what a levels do you need for medicine' and this came up on the ucas website. Medicine requires three a levels at grade A in Chemistry and either biology , physics or maths , plus another academic subject.
If you are thinking of doing medicine surely math's would be more useful. If you do not not like math's you might want to think about which out of psychology or politics you would be able to get a better grade in. Psychology , is more relevant I would imagine although in politics you do learn skills which are applicable for a lot of different A levels. I have heard from other people that the psychology course content is really interesting , make sure to check the course you would follow to see if topics interest you , do the same with politics. Be aware that both psychology and politics do tend to require a lot of writing. This might not help but I wanted to give my opinion on the matter.
Just want to add one more thing...
To get into medicine you need 3 A’s. However, if you want to go to a medical school in London (Queen Mary’s, UCL, King’s, Imperial, St. George’s) you will need A*AA. Also for oxbridge you will need A*A*A - A*AA.
Anywhere outside of London is AAA.
Also, you should be aware that some (very few) universities (I think Hull York Medical School being one) will actually lower their grade requirements by one grade if you have at least an A in your EPQ.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey everyone,

If you think you will enjoy politics more then do that. Like you said, you can still do something psychology related in the epq.
You could always change your mind in the first few weeks and pick something else instead if you realised you didn't like politics anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed