student and non-student living together in a student let?

Watch
medazzaland22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey! I'm a first year at Durham and a lot of people have started looking for next year's accommodation so I've followed suit. Ideally, I'm planning for my friend (who is NOT a uni student) to move up here in my second year and for us to rent somewhere together.

I was just wondering how possible it is for us both to live in a flat that's stated to be a student let as I'm a student but he's not. As in, do you think the landlord would even allow it in the first place, and if so, what would be the situation with council tax etc.?

For context, my friend wants to move here and get a job, not study, whilst I'll obviously still be a student. We're the same age.

(Also, side question: how common is it to find student houses/flats that allow pets?? lol)

Thanks!!
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some landlords do allow houseshares with full time students, working professionals and pets.
In a full time student and non-student houseshare, the student is exempt from paying council tax and the non-student has to pay but eligible to receive a discount.

Over the last six I've shared rental accomodation with full time students from the UK & abroad, part time overseas students, professionals and pets.
Landlords tend to be reluctant to rent to tenants that will be living with pet dogs, rodents or exotic animals like meerkats/snakes/lizards.
Those willing to accept tenants with pets usually want larger deposit amounts, guarantors and tend to charge higher monthly rents to cover the extra risks of property damage.
medazzaland22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Some landlords do allow houseshares with full time students, working professionals and pets.
In a full time student and non-student houseshare, the student is exempt from paying council tax and the non-student has to pay but eligible to receive a discount.

Over the last six I've shared rental accomodation with full time students from the UK & abroad, part time overseas students, professionals and pets.
Landlords tend to be reluctant to rent to tenants that will be living with pet dogs, rodents or exotic animals like meerkats/snakes/lizards.
Those willing to accept tenants with pets usually want larger deposit amounts, guarantors and tend to charge higher monthly rents to cover the extra risks of property damage.
Thank you! We're currently messaging a few Landlords to try and wee what we can do/afford. Also, my friend's pet is a cat, if that has any bearing on anything.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by medazzaland22)
Hey! I'm a first year at Durham and a lot of people have started looking for next year's accommodation so I've followed suit. Ideally, I'm planning for my friend (who is NOT a uni student) to move up here in my second year and for us to rent somewhere together.

I was just wondering how possible it is for us both to live in a flat that's stated to be a student let as I'm a student but he's not. As in, do you think the landlord would even allow it in the first place, and if so, what would be the situation with council tax etc.?

For context, my friend wants to move here and get a job, not study, whilst I'll obviously still be a student. We're the same age.

(Also, side question: how common is it to find student houses/flats that allow pets?? lol)

Thanks!!
Hey medazzaland22!

I would keep an eye out for 2 bedroom properties as they come onto the market to be available for the next academic year
When you enquire simply mention your situation about one being a student and one not - this shouldn't be a problem however your friend will have to pay council tax.

As for pets this is where it gets difficult - some places will want a greater deposit and some will simply say no.
You'll have to keep searching until you find one that allows you - but this may be harder with a cat (I have pet rabbits and that was hard enough to find somewhere to live!)

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (52)
17.93%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (82)
28.28%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (108)
37.24%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (38)
13.1%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.45%

Watched Threads