A-Level Chemistry help again please :) - NMR

Watch
Anonymous -
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hiya!

I have been learning about both Carbon-13 NMR and Proton NMR, and have some queries...

When would each of these be used? I thought that you could use either of these alone to work out the structure?

Many thanks for any help in advance
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous -)
Hiya!

I have been learning about both Carbon-13 NMR and Proton NMR, and have some queries...

When would each of these be used? I thought that you could use either of these alone to work out the structure?

Many thanks for any help in advance
Both provide evidence as to the structure.
Carbon-13 resonance shows the number of different carbon environments, while 1H NMR provides environments, chemical shift, integrals and splitting, which give information as to the atomicity.
Anonymous -
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
Both provide evidence as to the structure.
Carbon-13 resonance shows the number of different carbon environments, while 1H NMR provides environments, chemical shift, integrals and splitting, which give information as to the atomicity.
Ohh ok, thank you!

This might be a silly question, but if 1H NMR gives more information, what is the point in using carbon-13 NMR?

Thanks again
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ohh ok, thank you!

This might be a silly question, but if 1H NMR gives more information, what is the point in using carbon-13 NMR?

Thanks again
There are situations in which it is useful
Anonymous -
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
There are situations in which it is useful
Ok, thank you for the help I really appreciate it
username5466526
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ohh ok, thank you!

Thanks again
Most of the time NMR is done with complex solutions containing multiple compounds, rather than just one molecule, in which case more information can be detrimental (creates lots of overlap). C13 NMR can be used to detect if a solution contains a specific compound - e.g. in forensics
There's also N15 NMR which is used to pinpoint the location of each amino acid in a protein structure, as another example.
Anonymous -
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marindeon)
Most of the time NMR is done with complex solutions containing multiple compounds, rather than just one molecule, in which case more information can be detrimental (creates lots of overlap). C13 NMR can be used to detect if a solution contains a specific compound - e.g. in forensics
There's also N15 NMR which is used to pinpoint the location of each amino acid in a protein structure, as another example.
Ohhh ok, thank you!!

I am really struggling to grasp an understanding of 1H and carbon-13 NMR - Does it get easier with practice?
username5466526
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ohhh ok, thank you!!

I am really struggling to grasp an understanding of 1H and carbon-13 NMR - Does it get easier with practice?
I did have a problem with NMR at A level - I think everyone does when they are first introduced to it - but yes it does get easier to see basic structures and understand the whole concept of NMR, even by the end of year 13 it becomes clearer. Wait until you learn about 2D and 3D NMR, or even 1D NMR with multiple compounds, it probably takes years of practice to understand some of those graphs!
Anonymous -
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marindeon)
I did have a problem with NMR at A level - I think everyone does when they are first introduced to it - but yes it does get easier to see basic structures and understand the whole concept of NMR, even by the end of year 13 it becomes clearer. Wait until you learn about 2D and 3D NMR, or even 1D NMR with multiple compounds, it probably takes years of practice to understand some of those graphs!
Thank you so much for the help and for the reassurance . I’m finding every one of the questions really difficult at the moment which is a bit worrying, as others in my class understand 😬. Hopefully I’ll understand soon though .

Those sound very complex! But also quite interesting .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (106)
27.46%
England (131)
33.94%
Belgium (30)
7.77%
Germany (41)
10.62%
Spain (8)
2.07%