The Student Room Group

[Official] Cambridge English Applicants Thread 2021

Couldn't find one, so thought I'd make one, especially with interview offers on the horizon!!!

I'm applying to Magdalene - where has everyone else applied to?

Moderation Note: The sharing of off-site group chats, social media handles and phone numbers is not allowed on TSR to keep our community safe, so please do not share any personal details on the public forum. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff. You can find more information on staying safe on TSR here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Pembroke here :smile: guessing interview offers should be coming out within the next few days? Scary!
how did you find the ELAT?
Original post by Bookworm2002
Pembroke here :smile: guessing interview offers should be coming out within the next few days? Scary!

I know, I'm terrified! Refreshing my email constantly!!! Good luck!

how did you find the ELAT?

Mixed really - my essay wasn't very fluent or articulate but I felt like I got a decent few points down. How about you?
Original post by jessiesinger

Mixed really - my essay wasn't very fluent or articulate but I felt like I got a decent few points down. How about you?

Same with me. I found timing tricky and feel like my points got gradually less and less meaningful as I went through 😂 Though it is difficult to tell with these types of things, same with how sometimes you feel you’ve failed a school essay, and are then pleasantly surprised with the result - hoping that this is the case here 😂 I’ve seen some oxford applicants saying that Oxford don’t issue the various colleges with the ELAT results until 23rd November so perhaps it’s the same with Cambridge, but my college has said successful candidates will get called to interview within the second week of November, so I’m not sure what to think. Has Magdalene given you any guidance in this respect?
Reply 6
Hey thought I’d join the thread :smile: I applied for HSPS at Newnham
Hey :smile: applied for English at Peterhouse. Good luck everyone!
Original post by Caitliiiin_
Hey :smile: applied for English at Peterhouse. Good luck everyone!

Heard anything back yet?
Also, are you guys doing/ have done an EPQ?

I've nearly finished one yeah.
Hi guys! I've applied for English at Christ's. I'm so worried about the personal statement / written work section of the interview!
Same with me. I found timing tricky and feel like my points got gradually less and less meaningful as I went through 😂 Though it is difficult to tell with these types of things, same with how sometimes you feel you’ve failed a school essay, and are then pleasantly surprised with the result - hoping that this is the case here 😂 I’ve seen some oxford applicants saying that Oxford don’t issue the various colleges with the ELAT results until 23rd November so perhaps it’s the same with Cambridge, but my college has said successful candidates will get called to interview within the second week of November, so I’m not sure what to think. Has Magdalene given you any guidance in this respect?

They've just said mid-November so I don't really know what to expect. I'm hoping tomorrow but realistically probably the week after I think, but who can guess
Hey! How come? Personally that's the bit I'm least scared for because it's the stuff I know if that makes sense. I'm more scared of the complete unknown!

Our school flat out didn't offer them for my year which was very frustrating tbh. Would've loved to do one but couldn't. What have people done them on?
Reply 15
hi i'm applying for king's

also my epq is on dialect in 19th century poetry!! it got very niche
Heard anything back yet?

Haven't heard anything about interviews yet, I'm assuming I won't until later this month. Wbu?
Hi everyone :smile: I'm applying for PBS at downing
Hey! I’ve applied for English at Fitzwilliam. Waiting to find out if we have an interview offer or not is stressing me out so badly. I keep overthinking every aspect of my application process and thinking of what I could have done differently haha. How is everyone feeling? Anybody know when we might hear something?
Original post by Livvbarberrxo
Hey! I’ve applied for English at Fitzwilliam. Waiting to find out if we have an interview offer or not is stressing me out so badly. I keep overthinking every aspect of my application process and thinking of what I could have done differently haha. How is everyone feeling? Anybody know when we might hear something?

Not sure because I think most colleges are saying this is the week you will hear if you have been successful, but other people are saying that the university doesn’t even send colleges the ELAT results until the 23rd of November. Though this might just be for Oxford rather than Cambridge, so I honestly have no idea x

Quick Reply