I'm really nervous for these exams and it's getting to my head. Any advice?

Watch
lyra moore
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I start my GCSE mocks tomorrow and I'm really scared. I know I really shouldn't be cause they're just mocks but I feel I've got so much pressure to do well and it's getting to my head.
It's like there's a little voice saying I've not done enough revision when actually I've revised constantly, probably too much. I feel I know nothing and if you put a test in front of me I'd fail and I don't know how to get past this mindset. Any advice?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by lyra moore)
I start my GCSE mocks tomorrow and I'm really scared. I know I really shouldn't be cause they're just mocks but I feel I've got so much pressure to do well and it's getting to my head.
It's like there's a little voice saying I've not done enough revision when actually I've revised constantly, probably too much. I feel I know nothing and if you put a test in front of me I'd fail and I don't know how to get past this mindset. Any advice?
Its common to be nervous for an exam and most people are.
What you need to remind yourself is if you perform poorly then not much will happen. Mocks are there to test how far you have come and what you need to improve on.

You should also remind yourself what can you do between now and the exams to score marks and do well?
What might you do that takes up energy and causes you to lose marks?

You need to adopt behaviours for the former and stop making things worse with the latter.

Get enough sleep. Go to bed by 10pm.
Get enough food and eat breakfast.
Put aside maybe 4hrs revision time and revise what you can in that time. If you have revision notes you can scan them in the morning for an hour for reassurance.
Go for a walk or do some exercise for 15-30m.
Pack your bag before you go to sleep.
Chill out for an hour after revision TV, music, bath.
Remember to time things in the exam, read the questions twice and spend the proportionate time on each one according to how many marks they are worth.

All these things will support you being at your best.

On the other hand stop worrying as it doesnt score marks.
Its only a mock so it doesnt count for much/ anything.
Time spent thinking about bad things is time you could be spending revising.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Get some restful sleep tonight.
In the morning quickly look at your class notes and flashcards at breakfast. Do not stress either. Have faith in your exam technique too. Answer all questions to the best of your own ability as well. Pack tonight all the stuff you will need. Breathe and relax each night after revision and dinner. Stay positive and calm.
Use any feedback which is given in order to ace the real thing. Avoid joining in any exam related discussions afterwards however. Read all questions carefully once or twice before starting. Make sure that you know the total number of marks, what you need to do to answer it and how long to spend on the actual question.
Ensure you have everything which you need. Turn off the volume on your phone completely or drain the battery. Do your best. Nobody can try harder than that really. It is only a exam at the end of the day though. And ultimately remember that mocks are only a sketchy prediction of how you will eventually do in the real exam on the day.
So treat this as a learning experience more than anything. See my point on how to use feedback above for more detail. Avoid skipping any questions. If you cannot do a question, merely try again at the end. No question will be impossible to tackle. The point is to assess ability not to trick you or to mess up your mind. That is worth remembering.
aiwilo97
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by lyra moore)
Most importantly: Mock exams don't define you!
I will be sitting my mock exams this week as well so I understand that it is very stressful, especially with the whole covid situation. I'm sure that you'll do well (some people don't even revise, you're already in a very good position) but remember that if things don't go as well as you wanted them to then you always have the chance to improve.
Afterall, mock exams let you see your strongest and weakest points so you can see where to work on more, despite them also being an indicator of what you would get if you were to sit the real exam right there and then.
However, the countless hours of revision will be worthless if you don't sleep well (better sleep = remember more for longer) so remember to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep.
Good luck!
Nicholson1882
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The fact that you’re nervous shows you care. The fact that you care shows you’ll do well. Good luck, I’m sure it’ll go fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.71%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.88%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.15%
I need help with my personal statement (53)
38.97%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.74%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.21%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.35%

Watched Threads