TazmeenX
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
right so currently i'm doing art for gcse however im thinking about dropping and doing geography instead
-I'm terrible at drawing and painting (however my teacher said i could get better?) i really enjoy things like printing and such and i enjoy presenting my work nicely
-I get easily stressed and i feel like art will be more stressful
-It takes up a lot of time
-However i did get a 7 in my recent assessment
-I really enjoyed geography but i didnt realise how much i missed it until i saw what they were doing during class
-although there would be a lot of work to catch up with (we're almost at the end of the first term) i could easily do lots of work during the christmas holiday
-However, what if i don't enjoy geography as much as i thought i wouldve
-my art teacher is also my form tutor so it could be a little awkward if i dropped art
-i feel like it would be easier getting a 8/9 in geography as i would be able to revise for it and such
-the art exam is a couple months before my other gcse exams so that would be one subject out of the way
I DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT TO DO AND I NEED TO MEET MY TEACHER TOMORROW TO DISCUSS MY SUBJECT CHANGE AHHH
pls help
username5447346
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TazmeenX)
right so currently i'm doing art for gcse however im thinking about dropping and doing geography instead
-I'm terrible at drawing and painting (however my teacher said i could get better?) i really enjoy things like printing and such and i enjoy presenting my work nicely
-I really enjoyed geography but i didnt realise how much i missed it until i saw what they were doing during class
-although there would be a lot of work to catch up with (we're almost at the end of the first term) i could easily do lots of work during the christmas holiday
-my art teacher is also my form tutor so it could be a little awkward if i dropped art
-i feel like it would be easier getting a 8/9 in geography as i would be able to revise for it and such
-the art exam is a couple months before my other gcse exams so that would be one subject out of the way
I DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT TO DO AND I NEED TO MEET MY TEACHER TOMORROW TO DISCUSS MY SUBJECT CHANGE AHHH
pls help
Umm so I took Art Textiles at GCSE which I regretted in Year 10 since I started getting bad grades all of a sudden and it took up a lot of time and stressed me out, but I stuck it out and in Year 11 it all went uphill and I went from a predicted grade 6 to a 7 and ended up getting a 9 in the mocks, and an 8 in the real thing (CAGs).

But honestly, it was so time-consuming, stressful and took a lot of my attention away from my other subjects so unless you really love it, or think you might HATE Geography and find it difficult to catch up, I would suggest switching now xx
TazmeenX
Rep:
?
(Original post by M_Zara)
Umm so I took Art Textiles at GCSE which I regretted in Year 10 since I started getting bad grades all of a sudden and it took up a lot of time and stressed me out, but I stuck it out and in Year 11 it all went uphill and I went from a predicted grade 6 to a 7 and ended up getting a 9 in the mocks, and an 8 in the real thing (CAGs).

But honestly, it was so time-consuming, stressful and took a lot of my attention away from my other subjects so unless you really love it, or think you might HATE Geography and find it difficult to catch up, I would suggest switching now xx
oooh okay thank uuu
parii_xd
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Okay, so I made the mistake of picking art and from my experience it's hella stressful.
I tried dropping but then covid came along so I'm stuck with it.

For me art is just not the subject. If you don't do the homework and the classwork you will fall behind very quickly and it might become difficult to catch up. If you have the smallest of doubt, listen to yourself and drop it.

I do geography and though you might have missed out on a bit it's relatively easy for you to catch up if you are motivated. And even if you lose your interest its okay because some topics you'll find are fun and some a bit more boring than usual. For example if you don't like the physical aspect of geography you might like the human aspect.
TazmeenX
Rep:
?

were u like really good at painting or drawing? also what other subjects did u do??
TazmeenX
Rep:
?
(Original post by parii_xd)
Okay, so I made the mistake of picking art and from my experience it's hella stressful.
I tried dropping but then covid came along so I'm stuck with it.

For me art is just not the subject. If you don't do the homework and the classwork you will fall behind very quickly and it might become difficult to catch up. If you have the smallest of doubt, listen to yourself and drop it.

I do geography and though you might have missed out on a bit it's relatively easy for you to catch up if you are motivated. And even if you lose your interest its okay because some topics you'll find are fun and some a bit more boring than usual. For example if you don't like the physical aspect of geography you might like the human aspect.
oh okay thank uuu! yh i love the human aspect of geography but not so much physical geography
username5447346
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
oooh okay thank uuu
Np xx
were u like really good at painting or drawing? also what other subjects did u do??
Umm I took Art Textiles so my biggest strength was stitching (mainly hand embroidery - I HATED sewing machines lol) but I was fairly good at drawing and painting too (simple painting tho, like backgrounds)
And for drawings we were allowed to trace lol (if you go on my profile you can see a pic of one of my drawings of myself lol xx)

I also took Maths, Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Triple Science, RS, History, German (and Art Textiles obvs)
Wbu xx
nogoodusersleft
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
pls help
there's not much point doing art unless it's something you want to continue into A Level - I ended up with a 9, but it took a lot more time and work than all my other subjects, although it was nice to finish the exam way before all of the others. I also dropped more marks in coursework than I did in the exam, so your grade can go up if you're worried about that. However, you'll have to consider if you're willing to take up all that extra work you'll have to catch up on. From what others have said, geography has a few essays, so it depends if you're good at essays/memorising facts.
deadroseex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I do art and I hate it.
I also hate geography, but I would rather do geography and get a Grade 9 then get a Grade 5 in art.
PhoenixRose338
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
pls help
Art is super super stressful, takes a lot of time and effort, and even if you're good, it takes a lot to get 8/9 in it.
Your art teacher won't hold any grudges against you, so don't worry about that.
I would only say to pick art if you are thinking of doing an art-related career in the future. Otherwise, pick geography, it's a humanities/essay based subject(not sure) and it will keep your options open. If you don't enjoy history, you can just force yourself to learn it all, but if your don't love art, you will have a hard time trying to force yourself to do the work.
What other subjects are you picking?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
pls help
I'm surprised they are letting you consider this - it's too late to change really.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Read the subjects information booklet carefully and decide. Trust your instinct too.
TazmeenX
Rep:
?
they're only letting me consider it bc you could say that i'm 'academically able' hwoever im unsure as to whether they'll actually let me change?

(Original post by Muttley79)
I'm surprised they are letting you consider this - it's too late to change real
TazmeenX
Rep:
?
(Original post by KelsieTaylor)
Art is super super stressful, takes a lot of time and effort, and even if you're good, it takes a lot to get 8/9 in it.
Your art teacher won't hold any grudges against you, so don't worry about that.
I would only say to pick art if you are thinking of doing an art-related career in the future. Otherwise, pick geography, it's a humanities/essay based subject(not sure) and it will keep your options open. If you don't enjoy history, you can just force yourself to learn it all, but if your don't love art, you will have a hard time trying to force yourself to do the work.
What other subjects are you picking?
im doing french, rs, food tech maths eng lit+lang and triple science
TazmeenX
Rep:
?
Np xx

Umm I took Art Textiles so my biggest strength was stitching (mainly hand embroidery - I HATED sewing machines lol) but I was fairly good at drawing and painting too (simple painting tho, like backgrounds)
And for drawings we were allowed to trace lol (if you go on my profile you can see a pic of one of my drawings of myself lol xx)

I also took Maths, Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Triple Science, RS, History, German (and Art Textiles obvs)
Wbu xx
im doing maths, eng lit+lang, triple science, rs, french, food tech and ofc art
TazmeenX
Rep:
?
Np xx

Wbu xx
ConnieFox
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you're going to change, now is definitely the time. A terms worth of work might be a lot, but as it's the start, it will be the easy stuff. While I wouldn't necessarily say it's the best option, I know a LOT of people who didn't revise at all until the month before the actual GCSE and still came out with amazing grades so don't stress about being slightly behind- at GCSE this shouldn't be a huge problem.

I took art and managed to come out with a 9 but it was by far my GCSE with the most work. I probably spent more hours on my art coursework than I did on revision for all of my other subjects combined. While I never actually regretted taking it because I didn't know what I would have rather done, the workload was just so intense so if your school is giving you the opportunity to take Geography instead, and you genuinely are interested in it, go for it.

Good luck with your GCSEs and please enjoy year 10, I would do anything to be back in year 10 haha
TazmeenX
Rep:
?
Np xx

Wbu xx

(Original post by ConnieFox)
If you're going to change, now is definitely the time. A terms worth of work might be a lot, but as it's the start, it will be the easy stuff. While I wouldn't necessarily say it's the best option, I know a LOT of people who didn't revise at all until the month before the actual GCSE and still came out with amazing grades so don't stress about being slightly behind- at GCSE this shouldn't be a huge problem.

I took art and managed to come out with a 9 but it was by far my GCSE with the most work. I probably spent more hours on my art coursework than I did on revision for all of my other subjects combined. While I never actually regretted taking it because I didn't know what I would have rather done, the workload was just so intense so if your school is giving you the opportunity to take Geography instead, and you genuinely are interested in it, go for it.

Good luck with your GCSEs and please enjoy year 10, I would do anything to be back in year 10 haha
hehe thank uuuu
username5447346
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ohh okay then quite similar to mine then lol, just french instead of german and food tech instead of history xx
honestly if they're letting u drop it then i wld unless ur rlly passionate abt it tbh - geography wld open up more doors for u and is probz quite a bit easier since u said ur very academically able right? xx
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
they're only letting me consider it bc you could say that i'm 'academically able' hwoever im unsure as to whether they'll actually let me change?
I would read through the Geog spec and check you know what to expect - also a sample paper. It's too late in my school so please be 100% sure ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (236)
56.59%
I don't have everything I need (181)
43.41%

Watched Threads