The Student Room Group

I’m really not sure what a levels to take

Hi so I’m in the process of applying to a few sixth forms and colleges but I’m really not sure what subjects to take as I have little to no idea to what I want to do in the future. I’m considering stuff like medicine, engineering, various sciences but also languages and history.
The main problem is that I love science but I’m at a grammar school currently so have been made feel I’m awful at physics (even though I’m predicted a 7) and to a certain but lesser extent maths. I want to take maths (predicted 8 at GCSE) but again I’m not 100% about it as everyone that normally takes maths seems to be top set/further maths standard.
My first choice sixth form offers three alevels, an AS and EPQ as standard. I’m think biology and chemistry but cannot decide from there. Literally any advice welcome!
(Sorry for long post!)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by acnecream3
Hi so I’m in the process of applying to a few sixth forms and colleges but I’m really not sure what subjects to take as I have little to no idea to what I want to do in the future. I’m considering stuff like medicine, engineering, various sciences but also languages and history.
The main problem is that I love science but I’m at a grammar school currently so have been made feel I’m awful at physics (even though I’m predicted a 7) and to a certain but lesser extent maths. My first choice sixth form offers three alevels, an AS and EPQ as standard. I’m think biology and chemistry but cannot decide from there. Literally any advice welcome!
(Sorry for long post!)

do you have a rough idea of the area you want to enter at uni?
Reply 2
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
do you have a rough idea of the area you want to enter at uni?

I’m currently thinking something stem related? Chemistry is my favourite subject by miles, followed by biology. I’m drawn to medicine, engineering, maybe pure sciences? But, I’m not 100% sure and am prone to changing my mind widely
I’m currently thinking something stem related? Chemistry is my favourite subject by miles, followed by biology. I’m drawn to medicine, engineering, maybe pure sciences? But, I’m not 100% sure and am prone to changing my mind widely

Chemistry, biology, maths and then another subject that you enjoy as your AS
The main problem is that I love science but I’m at a grammar school currently so have been made feel I’m awful at physics (even though I’m predicted a 7) and to a certain but lesser extent maths. I want to take maths (predicted 8 at GCSE) but again I’m not 100% about it as everyone that normally takes maths seems to be top set/further maths standard.
My first choice sixth form offers three alevels, an AS and EPQ as standard. I’m think biology and chemistry but cannot decide from there. Literally any advice welcome!
(Sorry for long post!)

How long do you have to choose your a-levels?
if a while would you consider looking into jobs and deciding on which one you’d like after researching?

if you are unsure and it is close I would suggest picking a-levels you think you would enjoy, so then you won’t hate your a-levels, and you may feel later on that you want to pursue one further.

try not to worry too hard as sixth forms usually allow you to change your options within a month! Come up with a rough plan, basing it on gcses you enjoy, and research into some interests
Reply 5
Original post by user1567945
How long do you have to choose your a-levels?
if a while would you consider looking into jobs and deciding on which one you’d like after researching?

if you are unsure and it is close I would suggest picking a-levels you think you would enjoy, so then you won’t hate your a-levels, and you may feel later on that you want to pursue one further.

try not to worry too hard as sixth forms usually allow you to change your options within a month! Come up with a rough plan, basing it on gcses you enjoy, and research into some interests

Hi and thank you! This was really helpful
I’ve got until the 1st of December and am currently doing research into areas which interest me (with the main problem being I’ve no idea where to start lol) and possible careers.
The main problem I have is that the place I’m applying is heavily over-subscribed for sciences so if i want to do any science or maths, I have to apply for them at the beginning.
Is there any subject that if I don’t take it gets rid of a large proportion of courses/jobs in the future??
I really enjoyed psychology at a level, I found the course really interesting. I would highly recommend.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous1502
I really enjoyed psychology at a level, I found the course really interesting. I would highly recommend.

Psychology isn’t something I’ve thought about before - what kind of areas does the course look at? It sounds really interesting, but I’ve also heard that it’s really content heavy and difficult? Would you say that’s true or a total over exaggeration?
(Sorry for long post!)

Bio, chem, maths and physics to keep medicine, sciences and engineering open. You could try physics as AS or bio/maths (but not chem because you need that full A level for sciences). You could also swap a subject you enjoy with maths (only need 2 full sciences for uni) or physics if you decide you're not keen on engineering.
(edited 3 years ago)
Psychology isn’t something I’ve thought about before - what kind of areas does the course look at? It sounds really interesting, but I’ve also heard that it’s really content heavy and difficult? Would you say that’s true or a total over exaggeration?

It was the easiest of my a levels in my opinion, if you memorise it then you will pass with flying colours. AS looks at attachment, social influence, memory, approaches. A2 really depends on what your school picks (we did schizophrenia as one of our modules) It is really interesting.
It was the easiest of my a levels in my opinion, if you memorise it then you will pass with flying colours. AS looks at attachment, social influence, memory, approaches. A2 really depends on what your school picks (we did schizophrenia as one of our modules) It is really interesting.

what textbook would you recommend for it?..I will be picking Chem,Bio and psychology for biomedical science ..
Original post by dedrikayo
what textbook would you recommend for it?..I will be picking Chem,Bio and psychology for biomedical science ..

Depends on the exam board your school does, my school did aqa we used the textbook with green hair girl (AS) (it was really good, so good you could self-teach yourself the a level from the textbook). The A2 part has a girl with pink hair.
Original post by dedrikayo

I think that's a very good combination as psychology is easier than maths for example and at the end of the day universities seem to care more about the grades you receive rather than the combination unless that a level is a requirement :smile:

Is there any subject that if I don’t take it gets rid of a large proportion of courses/jobs in the future??

Hey! I had the same dilemma when I was choosing A-levels. I think maths is quite important generally for STEM careers and opens up most of the engineering disciplines to you. If you like chemistry and biology, look into biochemistry (pure science) and biochemical/chemical engineering (applied), as you might like those!

- Prithvi
If you're doing 3 A levels and an AS, then it's not really possible to keep all of medicine, engineering and languages/history as open options. The subjects required for certain degrees are:

Medicine: Chemistry and Biology
Engineering: Maths and Physics

If you can narrow things down and take at least one of those combinations then it should keep your options open.
Reply 15
Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Hey! I had the same dilemma when I was choosing A-levels. I think maths is quite important generally for STEM careers and opens up most of the engineering disciplines to you. If you like chemistry and biology, look into biochemistry (pure science) and biochemical/chemical engineering (applied), as you might like those!

- Prithvi

Hi! Thank you! I’ll look into both! Biochemistry (from what little I know about it) seems cool as does chemical engineering. Do you mind me asking what you ended up doing in the end?

It sounds really interesting I’ll look into it more! Thank you!
Original post by GreenCub
If you're doing 3 A levels and an AS, then it's not really possible to keep all of medicine, engineering and languages/history as open options. The subjects required for certain degrees are:

Medicine: Chemistry and Biology
Engineering: Maths and Physics

If you can narrow things down and take at least one of those combinations then it should keep your options open.

Biology actually isn't required, it's always chemistry + one other science (bio/physics/maths)
Original post by natasha_13822
Biology actually isn't required, it's always chemistry + one other science (bio/physics/maths)

It's not a requirement, but it's quite a lot harder to get in without it so it's almost like an unofficial requirement.
Hi! Thank you! I’ll look into both! Biochemistry (from what little I know about it) seems cool as does chemical engineering. Do you mind me asking what you ended up doing in the end?

I'm doing Chemical Engineering as I wanted a more applied degree and it kept a lot of doors open for me as I didn't know what I wanted to do in the future. A lot of Chem Eng grads go into project management, finance, commercial roles (I'm going into marketing) as well as more traditional Chem Eng positions such as in research and development (R & D) and process engineering in a wide variety of sectors (e.g. pharmaceuticals, food, energy, water, FMCG, healthcare).

If you like the idea of delving into theory more and maybe going into research, then a pure science degree such as biochemistry would be better! I've found chemical engineering has a lot of maths and physics in the first two years much more than biology and chemistry, so bear that in mind. Although I did not do physics or further maths at A-level, I'm still getting through the course okay and I'm enjoying the breadth of modules available in the later years in subjects such as business and healthcare formulation as they interest me!

- Prithvi

Quick Reply

Latest