I need help in Biology. I can't understand these two questions at all

Watch
Georgelennon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi. So basically, I was looking for my bio teacher to help me with these questions but she was not in her room and also I have to submit these questions tomorrow. The question makes no sense and I have no mark scheme. Could you help me and suggest some ideas to answer the questions below? Thank you 1)In some non-leguminous plants such as the tropical cereal sorghum, organic molecules ooze out from their roots. Suggest how this could benefit these plants in the competition for nutrients.(4 marks)
2)Carnivorous plants such as sundews, venus fly trap and pitcher plants have become popular as unusual houseplants. Their natural habitat is acidic bogs. The leaves of carnivorous plants have evolved a variety of means of trapping small animals such as insects. The animals decompose in the traps with the aid of digestive enzymes secreted by the leaves. Explain how the carnivorous habit of plants such as sundews, venus fly trap and pitcher plants enables them to survive in acidic bogs. (4 marks)
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Georgelennon)
Hi. So basically, I was looking for my bio teacher to help me with these questions but she was not in her room and also I have to submit these questions tomorrow. The question makes no sense and I have no mark scheme. Could you help me and suggest some ideas to answer the questions below? Thank you 1)In some non-leguminous plants such as the tropical cereal sorghum, organic molecules ooze out from their roots. Suggest how this could benefit these plants in the competition for nutrients.(4 marks)
2)Carnivorous plants such as sundews, venus fly trap and pitcher plants have become popular as unusual houseplants. Their natural habitat is acidic bogs. The leaves of carnivorous plants have evolved a variety of means of trapping small animals such as insects. The animals decompose in the traps with the aid of digestive enzymes secreted by the leaves. Explain how the carnivorous habit of plants such as sundews, venus fly trap and pitcher plants enables them to survive in acidic bogs. (4 marks)
Without knowing the mark scheme, it's hard to know how much detail is required, but the basic info is:

1. Sorghum - and many other plants - have evolved symbiotic relationships with mycorrhiza. These are soil fungi which live on and around the roots. By exuding the organic molecules, the sorghum provides nutrients to help the mycorrhiza grow. In return, the mycorrhiza provide benefits for the sorghum. In this particular example, one important benefit is that the mycorrhiza inhibits the growth of a root parasite called Striga. Striga is a major pest for sorghum growers, as it stops the sorghum growing properly (it's not clear why). So sorghgum that helps mycorrhiza to flourish, helps itself. In many other plants, symbiotic relationships with soil mycorrhiza are important - sometimes vital - for normal growth as the fungus breaks down soil chemicals into useable forms.

2. Acidic soils tend to be nutrient poor, especially low in nitrogen and phosphorus, which are essential for growth. There are various reasons for this, depending on the particular place we're talking about. One major reason is that these plants tend to live in wet soils where nutrients are rapidly leached out, and where soil bactertia are low - so there is a low rate of organic decomposition and therefore not many nutrients. Carnivorous plants are green and get energy from sunlight like others, but they have evolved carnivory so they can extract extra nitrogen etc from the bodies of the insects they catch. (btw, simply adding nutrients to the soil doesn't help them, as then they get crowded out by 'normal' plants)
Georgelennon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
Without knowing the mark scheme, it's hard to know how much detail is required, but the basic info is:

1. Sorghum - and many other plants - have evolved symbiotic relationships with mycorrhiza. These are soil fungi which live on and around the roots. By exuding the organic molecules, the sorghum provides nutrients to help the mycorrhiza grow. In return, the mycorrhiza provide benefits for the sorghum. In this particular example, one important benefit is that the mycorrhiza inhibits the growth of a root parasite called Striga. Striga is a major pest for sorghum growers, as it stops the sorghum growing properly (it's not clear why). So sorghgum that helps mycorrhiza to flourish, helps itself. In many other plants, symbiotic relationships with soil mycorrhiza are important - sometimes vital - for normal growth as the fungus breaks down soil chemicals into useable forms.

2. Acidic soils tend to be nutrient poor, especially low in nitrogen and phosphorus, which are essential for growth. There are various reasons for this, depending on the particular place we're talking about. One major reason is that these plants tend to live in wet soils where nutrients are rapidly leached out, and where soil bactertia are low - so there is a low rate of organic decomposition and therefore not many nutrients. Carnivorous plants are green and get energy from sunlight like others, but they have evolved carnivory so they can extract extra nitrogen etc from the bodies of the insects they catch. (btw, simply adding nutrients to the soil doesn't help them, as then they get crowded out by 'normal' plants)
Thank you for the response. Btw, I sent the homework already😄
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (14)
12.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (72)
63.72%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
12.39%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (10)
8.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.65%

Watched Threads