The Student Room Group

I want to be skinnier

I am 17 years old. I am 1m70. I currently weigh 55kg, but I want to be skinnier. When I was sick, throwing up whenever I ate something, I lost so much weight and went down to 48kg. I want to do that again, but people are telling me not to. I just want to be skinnier again.
hey, i feel this. i am also 17 and my goal was never to weigh more than 110 lbs. for a while i would also throw up my food and lost a lot of weight that way, dont have any tips but i can relate.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
hey, i feel this. i am also 17 and my goal was never to weigh more than 110 lbs. for a while i would also throw up my food and lost a lot of weight that way, dont have any tips but i can relate.

How much do you weigh now if you don't mind me asking? And how often did you throw up? What did you eat? Do you still do this?
How much do you weigh now if you don't mind me asking? And how often did you throw up? What did you eat? Do you still do this?

would you like to talk about this on pms?
Reply 4
would you like to talk about this on pms?

sure
sure

ok
I understand that desire to lose weight, particularly when it's weight that you've lost before, but the first thing to say about your situation is that you are a perfectly healthy weight for your height. So irrespective of how you may see yourself, it is highly unlikely that you need to lose weight for any sort of health reasons. Your weight is perfectly fine.

That said, most people will empathise with the desire to lose weight, and if you want to do that there's broadly nothing wrong with it. However, you do have to do it right. Losing weight from being sick is something that happens from time to time when you are ill, but it is not a healthy way to lose weight. Being ill has given you a glimpse into what you look like when you're 48kg, but it's also given you no barometer at all for what it takes to get to that weight in a healthy way. So if you do want to lose weight, you need to understand the process by which you can do it in a way that maintains your health. And that way is a combination of exercise and diet, but mostly diet. And no, I don't mean "a diet", I mean eating healthier and in moderation. That combined with exercise may result in you losing weight, but it's a process, and maintaining that requires you to take a broader view of your health as well as just the amount that you weigh. You're focused on how you physically look, which is understandable because that is the focus for so many people, but having a healthier lifestyle has so many more benefits than that. If you can, I would look to improve your lifestyle by considering the things you eat and the exercise that you do. Find healthier foods you enjoy, and find exercise that you enjoy rather than doing it for the sake of it. Changing your lifestyle in that way is much more sustainable and positive, and will bring more benefits to you as well as losing weight.
have you been diagnosed with an eating disorder?
Good morning lovely people on this thread,

I am not a trained medical professional. But to mega couple of you sound like you have eating disorders or the start of one

If a friend told you they were throwing up after eating - how would you react? apply this to yourself, be kind to yourself and your body.

If you’re going through a difficult time at home, in school or in general, bulimia can feel like a release. It could feel like a way of getting out pressure or stress. Or anything negative. But bulimia is really dangerous. It can feel like it’s taking over your life. Tell someone about what’s going on.

Some ways you can help yourself, try to think about what you want to say to yourself when you have the urge to make yourself sick. You could write it down and carry it with you. Stay positive and write down a list of things you like about yourself. Start with really small things. As you start thinking about it you might start to notice more positive things about who you are. Please avoid negative websites. Stay away from blogs and websites that promote eating disorders - instead, try reading things that make you feel good about yourself.

have a look at the following sites:

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/uploads/documents/2020/2/beat-young-carers.pdf

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/support-services

The Mix, and have a read of this
https://www.themix.org.uk/your-body/appearance/why-we-all-need-more-body-kindness-in-our-lives-32249.html

stay safe guys

Quick Reply

Latest