The Student Room Group

Not looking forward to Christmas this year

I'm really not looking forward to Christmas this year because of how different it's going to be. I know that Christmas is going to be different for everyone this year due to Covid and restrictions but it's going to be double tough for me because of who I've lost recently. In the last few months my dog died, then I split up with my girlfriend and then my nan died a few weeks ago so that is going to be three less people around at Christmas this year.

On top of this my little sister and her boyfriend have bought a house together and will be moving in a few weeks, which is something I'm already feeling down about because I will be the last child left at home which is making me feel like a failure. But also it will mean I'm highly likely to spend Christmas Eve on my own. Usually what would happen is my mum and dad would either go out for a meal together or visit friends on Christmas Eve and me and my little sister would stay in and watch Christmas films and just relax, but obviously with her moving out that means her and her boyfriend will be spending Christmas Eve together which I don't begrudge them for at all. Obviously there is a chance that my parents may not be able to do their usual tradition on Christmas Eve depending on what the restrictions are but at the moment they are carrying on as though they will be going out.

I have asked all my mates what their plans are for Christmas Eve and they are all busy doing something with their partners or households so I can't see any of them.

As I say I know Christmas is going to be tough for everyone this year but I just feel as though I'm dreading it because of who I've lost this year and it's highly likely I will be spending a large part of it on my own.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm really not looking forward to Christmas this year because of how different it's going to be. I know that Christmas is going to be different for everyone this year due to Covid and restrictions but it's going to be double tough for me because of who I've lost recently. In the last few months my dog died, then I split up with my girlfriend and then my nan died a few weeks ago so that is going to be three less people around at Christmas this year.

On top of this my little sister and her boyfriend have bought a house together and will be moving in a few weeks, which is something I'm already feeling down about because I will be the last child left at home which is making me feel like a failure. But also it will mean I'm highly likely to spend Christmas Eve on my own. Usually what would happen is my mum and dad would either go out for a meal together or visit friends on Christmas Eve and me and my little sister would stay in and watch Christmas films and just relax, but obviously with her moving out that means her and her boyfriend will be spending Christmas Eve together which I don't begrudge them for at all. Obviously there is a chance that my parents may not be able to do their usual tradition on Christmas Eve depending on what the restrictions are but at the moment they are carrying on as though they will be going out.

I have asked all my mates what their plans are for Christmas Eve and they are all busy doing something with their partners or households so I can't see any of them.

As I say I know Christmas is going to be tough for everyone this year but I just feel as though I'm dreading it because of who I've lost this year and it's highly likely I will be spending a large part of it on my own.

Its just a day. It feels like you are building it up into being a big issue.
If you havent got friends to be with, then just get some nice food in and some quality viewing to watch.
You could even go to midnight mass and have a pray for you dog plus nan.

The point is if you make it a massive thing in your head, then you are making it come true.
I get you might be a bit lonely and it might make you a bit sad, but you can plan to do things to minimise that and if you make the best of things it neednt be as bad as you fear.
I've spent Christmas Eve alone countless times. It's not as bad as you might think. As you grow older you have to make new traditions. Can you not join your parents going out? Is there no chance your sister and her boyfriend will come over and join you? And I know it's so hard when you lose family members and pets (who are also family members of course) but you need to keep living and enjoy yourself because that is what they would all want. I went from a house full of laughter with all 3 siblings and my parents to just me and my parents for the bulk of Christmas day, but I adapted and make sure that the Christmas spirit is still there. Hope is the best thing you can feel, so try to hope. And like you said, your parents might not even be able to go out yet, so cheer up! It is just a day after all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending