The Student Room Group

UCAS done wrong

Guys I just received an email from a university saying I didn’t add my GCSE’s to my application and it’s already been sent off. The teacher who checks through the applications didn’t spot that. So do I have to email each uni that I applied to with my gcse results or can my application be changed and sent again?
Original post by Ss12367
Guys I just received an email from a university saying I didn’t add my GCSE’s to my application and it’s already been sent off. The teacher who checks through the applications didn’t spot that. So do I have to email each uni that I applied to with my gcse results or can my application be changed and sent again?

You need to notify UCAS and they in turn will update the records of the unis you've applied to. Let the unis know when this is done.

https://www.ucas.com/content/request-amend-qualifications-listed-your-application
Original post by Admit-One
You need to notify UCAS and they in turn will update the records of the unis you've applied to. Let the unis know when this is done.

https://www.ucas.com/content/request-amend-qualifications-listed-your-application

my teachers entered the wrong predicted grades and last week they emailed them explaining the mistake and how my predicted grades are actually AAA instead of AAB. do i need to inform UCAS as well? because apparently they have no control in changing these predictions after they're sent off.
Original post by dank092002
my teachers entered the wrong predicted grades and last week they emailed them explaining the mistake and how my predicted grades are actually AAA instead of AAB. do i need to inform UCAS as well? because apparently they have no control in changing these predictions after they're sent off.

UCAS can't change predictions once finalised and sent.
Universities *might* be willing to amend their records if your referee contacts them directly but many won't consider additional information/amendments like this
Original post by PQ
UCAS can't change predictions once finalised and sent.
Universities *might* be willing to amend their records if your referee contacts them directly but many won't consider additional information/amendments like this

The problem is i dont know if i can trust my teachers! Even though I've asked them 3 times, I still dont think they have sent the email to my universities about my amended predicted grades because they seem quite unreliable! Even though I emailed twice and asked face to face, he said he told my universities. Do you think its worth emailing my unis as well to confirm if they received the email so I dont get rejected? What should I say? Or would it be annoying to the admissions team? Also surely if the uni has good spirit they will accept the amended grades because it's not really my fault? Would it be right to appeal if i get rejected because it would be unfair?
The problem is i dont know if i can trust my teachers! Even though I've asked them 3 times, I still dont think they have sent the email to my universities about my amended predicted grades because they seem quite unreliable! Even though I emailed twice and asked face to face, he said he told my universities. Do you think its worth emailing my unis as well to confirm if they received the email so I dont get rejected? What should I say? Or would it be annoying to the admissions team? Also surely if the uni has good spirit they will accept the amended grades because it's not really my fault? Would it be right to appeal if i get rejected because it would be unfair?

It's perfectly fine to check with the unis whether they've received any updated guidance regarding your predictions. I would recommend calling if possible rather the emailing.

In many cases they will accept such changes but it is at their discretion. They are within their rights to consider you only on the info in your UCAS app, (and several unis will expressly not accept any amendments). Whilst you could appeal it will be likely be fruitless if they have followed their own procedure correctly.
As above.

Also for what it's worth I would suggest you speak to your parents about putting in a complaint to your school about the fact that your advisers missed that you'd left qualifications off AND didn't add the correct predicted grades to your reference. This is something that is their responsibility as a UCAS centre to do and it damages the reputation of the school with universities if they're missing basic checks like this.
Original post by PQ
As above.

Also for what it's worth I would suggest you speak to your parents about putting in a complaint to your school about the fact that your advisers missed that you'd left qualifications off AND didn't add the correct predicted grades to your reference. This is something that is their responsibility as a UCAS centre to do and it damages the reputation of the school with universities if they're missing basic checks like this.

Agreed. They can’t both be a UCAS centre and try the old “oh well we didn’t know what we were doing” routine.
Reply 8

Thank you so much!
It's perfectly fine to check with the unis whether they've received any updated guidance regarding your predictions. I would recommend calling if possible rather the emailing.

In many cases they will accept such changes but it is at their discretion. They are within their rights to consider you only on the info in your UCAS app, (and several unis will expressly not accept any amendments). Whilst you could appeal it will be likely be fruitless if they have followed their own procedure correctly.

Hey - thanks a lot for your email. Surely an appeal shouldn’t be fruitless as, for example, Anglia Ruskin’s appeals process says ‘applicants can appeal if the appeal relates to emergence of new information which was not available at the time of application and which may alter the decision’. My amended predicted grades fit this criteria, right?

Also I dont mean to seem dumb but please can you check my email below that I’m planning to send to the admissions team because I dont want to come across as somewhat rude or like Im full on blaming my school (even though it was their fault). Thanks for your help 😅

Dear Sir or Madam,
I hope this email finds you well.

I am writing to enquire if you have been able to receive an email from my school explaining and confirming my amended predicted grades as the initial grades were incorrectly submitted by my referee. Please will you be able to confirm for me if you were able to receive such an email from *name of my school* as my predicted grades were meant to be AAA however my referee entered AAB; in the said email the situation has been explained. Please will you also be able to confirm for me if this mistake will affect my application in any way to the A100 Medicine Course?

I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Name
Hey - thanks a lot for your email. Surely an appeal shouldn’t be fruitless as, for example, Anglia Ruskin’s appeals process says ‘applicants can appeal if the appeal relates to emergence of new information which was not available at the time of application and which may alter the decision’. My amended predicted grades fit this criteria, right?

Also I dont mean to seem dumb but please can you check my email below that I’m planning to send to the admissions team because I dont want to come across as somewhat rude or like Im full on blaming my school (even though it was their fault). Thanks for your help 😅

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to enquire if you have been able to receive an email from my school explaining and confirming my amended predicted grades as the initial grades were incorrectly submitted by my referee. Please will you be able to confirm for me if you were able to receive such an email from *name of my school* as my predicted grades were meant to be AAA however my referee entered AAB; in the said email the situation has been explained. Please will you also be able to confirm for me if this mistake will affect my application in any way to the A100 Medicine Course?

Regards,
Name

. .
(edited 3 years ago)

Dear Sir or Madam,

Regards,
Name

Your email is completely fine, certainly not rude in any way. Don't forget to include your UCAS PID in the subject line.

Regarding appealing, (and tbh I don't think it will even be necessary so we are getting ahead of ourselves a little here), there is a big difference between ‘applicants can appeal if the appeal relates to emergence of new information' and that appeal being successful. After all, in this case your school would have submitted a complete application. For all they know, your school has been co-erced into amending your predictions by your parents. It's up to them if they accept amendments and then to check whether their internal process was followed correctly.

But I would not get worried about that at this stage, most unis will accept official amendments if they are received in good time.
Your email is completely fine, certainly not rude in any way. Don't forget to include your UCAS PID in the subject line.

Regarding appealing, (and tbh I don't think it will even be necessary so we are getting ahead of ourselves a little here), there is a big difference between ‘applicants can appeal if the appeal relates to emergence of new information' and that appeal being successful. After all, in this case your school would have submitted a complete application. For all they know, your school has been co-erced into amending your predictions by your parents. It's up to them if they accept amendments and then to check whether their internal process was followed correctly.

But I would not get worried about that at this stage, most unis will accept official amendments if they are received in good time.

Thanks so much for your help. I've sent the email, hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending