The Student Room Group

Personal Statement help!

My plan is in shambles! Originally I wanted to submit my PS in October but now it's the end of November and I hate my PS plus I don't know how to write about my further reading for Accoutning and Finance. Please I need advice!
Reply 1
I haven’t submitted it because I’m waiting on references so if it helps I’m stressed too
Original post by Hiro2468
My plan is in shambles! Originally I wanted to submit my PS in October but now it's the end of November and I hate my PS plus I don't know how to write about my further reading for Accoutning and Finance. Please I need advice!

Hey @Hiro2468 :colondollar: Try not to panic! Your plan isn't in shambles- you've still got time so don't be so hard on yourself!

First up, leave the draft you've got to one side for now and look at it with fresh eyes later.

Instead, take a blank sheet of paper and do a 'brain dump' of the things that are important to you that you would like to flag in your personal statement. Scribble down things like your hobbies, interests, part time jobs, documentaries you've watched that have inspired you etc etc. Write down what attracts you to study Accounting and Finance and why. Once you can see all of this in one place you'll be able to see the things you'd like to chat about. From here, you can start to form ideas a bit better, by thinking of what you have gained and learned from each of those things.

Break the info above down in to small chunks and really make sure that everything you're saying has a point behind it (for example- I play basketball, so I am used to working in fast paced, pressured team activities which will be really beneficial when working towards strict deadlines). Make sure to use your research in to the course to describe why you want to study it and really get your enthusiasm for studying it across. Basically, take yourself out of the idea of 'hating' your PS, and back in to the idea of loving and being excited for starting your course! :smile:

Hope this helps a bit? What is it that you don't like about your PS so far? Have you asked your family/friends to read it over and see what they think?

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Hiro2468 :colondollar: Try not to panic! Your plan isn't in shambles- you've still got time so don't be so hard on yourself!

First up, leave the draft you've got to one side for now and look at it with fresh eyes later.

Instead, take a blank sheet of paper and do a 'brain dump' of the things that are important to you that you would like to flag in your personal statement. Scribble down things like your hobbies, interests, part time jobs, documentaries you've watched that have inspired you etc etc. Write down what attracts you to study Accounting and Finance and why. Once you can see all of this in one place you'll be able to see the things you'd like to chat about. From here, you can start to form ideas a bit better, by thinking of what you have gained and learned from each of those things.

Break the info above down in to small chunks and really make sure that everything you're saying has a point behind it (for example- I play basketball, so I am used to working in fast paced, pressured team activities which will be really beneficial when working towards strict deadlines). Make sure to use your research in to the course to describe why you want to study it and really get your enthusiasm for studying it across. Basically, take yourself out of the idea of 'hating' your PS, and back in to the idea of loving and being excited for starting your course! :smile:

Hope this helps a bit? What is it that you don't like about your PS so far? Have you asked your family/friends to read it over and see what they think?

Omd thank you for your advice! I'm legit about to cry because of how much better I could've handled my time and PS. What I don't like is that I'm not showing that I've done extra reading into the course? I don't know how to translate what I've learnt concisely into my PS. I've asked family,friends and teachers but it I haven't gotten a proper feedback from them :frown:
Also when talking about what I've learnt from my extra reading I don't know how to balance talking about that and talking about myself? When I tried doing extra reading into A&F for a lot of the content it's hard getting my head around it. What should I do from here please?
Original post by Hiro2468
Omd thank you for your advice! I'm legit about to cry because of how much better I could've handled my time and PS. What I don't like is that I'm not showing that I've done extra reading into the course? I don't know how to translate what I've learnt concisely into my PS. I've asked family,friends and teachers but it I haven't gotten a proper feedback from them :frown:
Also when talking about what I've learnt from my extra reading I don't know how to balance talking about that and talking about myself? When I tried doing extra reading into A&F for a lot of the content it's hard getting my head around it. What should I do from here please?

Oh please don't get upset @Hiro2468 :frown: I know it's mega stressful, but like I say you have loads of time and I think you may just need to take a deep breath and try something different to see how it reads.

I'm not sure which universities you're applying to, but from our side of things we wouldn't look for extensive readings as part of the PS. This may vary though so maybe reach out to the unis that you're interested in. We'd be looking to see that you've done your research and know what Accounting & Finance is all about, and that you are a suitable candidate to join that course. Think about how Accounting & Finance has an impact upon the world- pick some themes and discuss them. Keep it really simple- the reason you're going to uni to study these topics is to learn more about them after all :smile:

Try answering these key questions:
- What interests me about this course? Why do I want to study this?
- What do I know about the topic?
- What have I done that shows I'll be successful on this course?

You can blend some points together, for example by talking about how working in a part time job has helped you to understand cash flow in a business (shows your skills and also understanding of themes in the A&F course). You could say that you read one particular article/reading, that then led you to research in to a different topic which you'd love to develop your understandings of at university.

My top advice is to keep it really simple and look at it with fresh eyes when you feel frustrated. There's nothing worse than being bundled up in nerves over something and you'll end up in a dead end with it if you do!!

More than happy to help you with anything more on this if you think it'll be useful!

If you need help PM me. I can help.
Most of your PS should be related to your interest in the course - with the extra reading focus on why it interested you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending