The Student Room Group

fitness to teach assessment and mental health

Hi!! Just looking for some general advice really. I am currently in my second year of university and will be interested in applying to do a PGCE in primary education, however it is only very recently I have found out that on applying to these courses you must complete a fitness to teach assessment. I was put on medication in year 13, when I was either 17/18, these were anti-depressants and beta blockers for panic attacks. My anti-depressants were changed I believe 2/3 times until last year (my first year of university) and I have stopped taking medication all together now.

I feel a lot better and this period of being medicated has not impacted my education, nor my employment as I have held a part time job since I was 16, even changing jobs earlier this year.

I was just wondering whether or not this, obviously with it showing up on my records when I come to filling in the assessment in about 2 years time, maybe less, would it impact my ability to be accepted onto the course? Would they class me as unfit to teach? I don't believe I should have been on anti-depressants as I initially went to the Dr's due to anxiety and panic attacks due to very personal events in my life throughout childhood/teenage years - they have never impacted by education and I am doing just fine at university.

If anyone has gone through this themselves and has any advice I would love to hear it, I've spent hours reading through other threads!!
Original post by abbie-compton02
Hi!! Just looking for some general advice really. I am currently in my second year of university and will be interested in applying to do a PGCE in primary education, however it is only very recently I have found out that on applying to these courses you must complete a fitness to teach assessment. I was put on medication in year 13, when I was either 17/18, these were anti-depressants and beta blockers for panic attacks. My anti-depressants were changed I believe 2/3 times until last year (my first year of university) and I have stopped taking medication all together now.

I feel a lot better and this period of being medicated has not impacted my education, nor my employment as I have held a part time job since I was 16, even changing jobs earlier this year.

I was just wondering whether or not this, obviously with it showing up on my records when I come to filling in the assessment in about 2 years time, maybe less, would it impact my ability to be accepted onto the course? Would they class me as unfit to teach? I don't believe I should have been on anti-depressants as I initially went to the Dr's due to anxiety and panic attacks due to very personal events in my life throughout childhood/teenage years - they have never impacted by education and I am doing just fine at university.

If anyone has gone through this themselves and has any advice I would love to hear it, I've spent hours reading through other threads!!

No, this shouldn't prevent you from being classed as fit to teach. Even if you were currently on anti-depressants, I doubt they would class you as unfit, they would probably just want to make sure that any additional support you needed was in place. I know several teachers who are on medication for depression or anxiety, and it's not an issue.
Original post by bluebeetle
No, this shouldn't prevent you from being classed as fit to teach. Even if you were currently on anti-depressants, I doubt they would class you as unfit, they would probably just want to make sure that any additional support you needed was in place. I know several teachers who are on medication for depression or anxiety, and it's not an issue.

Great okay thank you for the reply!! Just seen a few mixed opinions on other threads!
Original post by abbie-compton02

Something like this will not be a barrier to teaching. You may be asked to have an OH assessment to determine how they can best support you during the PGCE.

Mental health problems have to be severe, unstable and recent to be a barrier to teaching.

For now, though, I would just focus on your degree and not worry about this too much! The assessment process may have changed by the time you apply anyway.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Something like this will not be a barrier to teaching. You may be asked to have an OH assessment to determine how they can best support you during the PGCE.

Mental health problems have to be severe, unstable and recent to be a barrier to teaching.

For now, though, I would just focus on your degree and not worry about this too much! The assessment process may have changed by the time you apply anyway.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it!! I didn't think it would but after reading a few other posts I think I made myself imagine the worst case scenario lol, still a long way to go until I need to really worry about it anyway! thank you again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending