therealmlg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I just need a little help with understanding positive covenants.
If a covenantor has agreed with the covenantee to maintain a wall, would the covenantor be in breach of the covenant if the covenantee has maintained the wall instead?
Thanks!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello. Unfortunately I have no real experience but my advice is to research contract law online and make some notes on your findings. Look at some information online on positive and negative covenants and also put it into your own words as far as possible here. Read beyond the lines of the information that is provided. Infer the deeper meaning. And see if your law textbook has any relevant case studies to use or not that may help you to write your essay. Good luck. I also recommend flashcards as well as a effective means of remembering and writing up information.
Lawschoolhack
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If the wall have been allowed to fall into disrepair then the covenantor breached the covenant. Presumably the covenantee would be looking for the covenantor to indemnify him/her for the expense incurred.

Not 100% sure on this one.
therealmlg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Lawschoolhack)
If the wall have been allowed to fall into disrepair then the covenantor breached the covenant. Presumably the covenantee would be looking for the covenantor to indemnify him/her for the expense incurred.

Not 100% sure on this one.
Thanks for the info!

Would the same principles apply to positive covenants as restrictive covenants i.e. if the breach occurred for more than 20 years then it would be hard to enforce the breach against the covenantor?
Lawschoolhack
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why 20 years? Are you thinking of a possible defence? Are you thinking of a limitation issue? Or acquiescence? You need to explain why you think that there would be an enforcement issue after 20 years. I can’t see why you are thinking there might be a distinction between positive and negative covenants.
Last edited by Lawschoolhack; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tell us more OP
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know the answer but I am not going to tell you, what I will however tell you is that there are plenty of resources online that should equip you with the knowledge to answer this question, in addition to lectures on the topic that I presume you've had, and books on land law in general.
Lawschoolhack
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
I know the answer but I am not going to tell you, what I will however tell you is that there are plenty of resources online that should equip you with the knowledge to answer this question, in addition to lectures on the topic that I presume you've had, and books on land law in general.
Can you give us a clue ROTL94?
I can't see what difference 20 years would make (unless it's a limitation issue where the choice of 20 years appears to be random) or the nature of the covenant between the covenantor and covenantee. The OP doesn't raise an issue regarding passing of burden/benefit.
I need a bit of help. :ashamed2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (83)
18.82%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (125)
28.34%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (165)
37.41%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (55)
12.47%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
2.95%

Watched Threads