How do you pick between RS, Geography and History?

Watch
sufys12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I definitely want to pick at least one of these and my school has given me 3 option slots, and I have no idea how to pick as I like them all equally and get very similar grades in all 3. What should I do?
PepeTheFroggi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I did history and it was really interesting. so i suggest history.
However thats my own personal preference and you should choose what you want to do most. I suggest talking to teachers of the respective departments to see what the workload is like and then pick what you seem would be easier to do.
raquelthestudent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
History is a good course (but I did history so I'm biased) I also do RS, and it is definitely the easiest once you get the hang of the essay questions. Good luck!
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
History/re..much better than geography
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i did geography and re and i really liked geography, wasn't too hard conceptually and you can get away with common sense especially for human geography. perhaps research the specs and see what appeals to you the most.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I loved RE. In lesson time we would have interesting discussions. It is great for improving your discussion skills.

I should also have taken geography because I love travelling but there is more to it than that however. The subject is good for helping you improve your teamwork and map drawing skills. And you also have a decent chance to develop your foreign country awareness and hone your skills in finding and understanding information. In other more simpler words you learn about the value of being resourceful. Best of luck. On field trips you have a chance to work as a team.

Lastly history is best for those who love to do role play. You have a chance to practice finding facts online once more and general enquiry skills are assessed too. You also tune your subject knowledge and writing skills in lessons as well. You even have a chance to work on reading and spelling ability. And you also improve on communication.
sufys12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Thank you all for your responses! I will take your opinions into account and I hope this will help me make my choices!
kakalaka06
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sufys12)
I definitely want to pick at least one of these and my school has given me 3 option slots, and I have no idea how to pick as I like them all equally and get very similar grades in all 3. What should I do?
For Geography and History I would ask your teacher or look online at what topics you study in each subject, some of my friends have changed there History option (I'm a year 10) because they don't enjoy what topics they are covering.
Hope that helps and good luck <3
mayalicekhushi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm in IB2, and I did both Geography and History at IGCSE (international student). I definitely liked History more. While there is more essay writing in History, I feel the sheer amount of case studies in Geography and the multiple topics within each section make it deceptively more difficult than History. I feel History did have a lot of content, but Geography didn't have any less, esp. when you look at huge topics like settlement and a different type of test paper, being map skills, something that hasn't been introduced properly prior to GCSE.

I would go for the History syllabus, but also look at what you want to pursue in the future.

If you want to do geography, then choose that. Otherwise, the english literature or history path (any essay based subject) would obviously be complemented by history skills. If its a different path, then in the long-run, it doesn't really matter and just choose the subject you think will be easier and you will enjoy more!

Good luck! : )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (147)
62.29%
I don't have everything I need (89)
37.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed