The Student Room Group

College won't process funding application

Hi just wondering if anyone has ever had similar issues.
It's now been over 3 months, and my college still refuses to process my bursary application, due to lack of paperwork mostly due to me renting illegally for the last couple of years (I'm self funded and shared several flats but never rented one by myself, landlord would never provided tenancy agreement and my only option of renting legally was staying in a hostel for years, which I didn't consider a safe option). So basically I have no proof of address from the council, I have been however working continuously for over 3 years in Scotland now, have letters from dvla, bank statements etc. Yet the college still refuses to process my application. At this stage I've given up on the bursary, cause how on earth do I prove my single status (do you want my tinder login or what?) but I'm pushing to have my fees paid. College funding team confirmed to me in May that I would be eligible to have my fees paid, yet now they are refusing to do it, despite the fact that I've provided the same evidence as back then, which they then accepted, but now rejected.
I am thinking surely that must be someone extremely incompetent running the funding department? How can you assure someone they'd be eligible and then change your mind months later? So far I have forwarded to them my payslips, bank statements which makes me feel uncomfortable as I consider my income is my private business, I have worked 2 or 3 jobs at a time so I could survive in Scotland by myself), print offs from hrmc, dvla letters, yet they're still moaning and complaining and I am honestly considering asking how much the tuition cost is, even though paying for it doesn't make any sense.
I moved to Scotland because I was hoping to have a better future, although if after working like a slave for 3 years I'm unable to study here, I'll have made a mistake honestly.
Anyone else has had to deal with stubborn or incompetent funding department? As far as I know, I should be entitled to have my fees covered and also eligible for a bursary, an application should not be rejected due to someone's unfavourable personal circumstances and lack of a tenancy agreement! This time last year I was homeless.
Honestly how many of you have stayed by yourselves with a fully documented history of address when you started college? And I don't mean council flats or staying with your mum and dad here!
I'm honestly considering telling my tutor that due to not being able to cover funding fees, I'll be withdrawing from the course, I am hoping she'll stir the pot because the college are hopeless!
Any idea of how to deal with these people as they're doing the my head in.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending