wartjr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I only set my sights on veterinary medicine about a year ago, and managed to get about 3 weeks total volunteering at a riding school. (For context, I'm in London, so there are not many opportunities about). Sadly, I've had to take a break from this due to second lockdown, and have had no luck getting experience from vet clinics etc. due to similar reasons, or being too young.
I understand this and personally do not want to place myself or others at risk by gaining experience during this time either. However, I only have until October 2021 to gain a diverse range of experience, and I worry that my application will be at a disadvantage compared to those who knew they wanted to be in this field much sooner than I did.
Do you think universities will be more lenient on work experience requirements in the coming years (or am I totally screwed)? And does anyone know any doable opportunities I could chase up? Thanks
PurpleVet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by wartjr)
I only set my sights on veterinary medicine about a year ago, and managed to get about 3 weeks total volunteering at a riding school. (For context, I'm in London, so there are not many opportunities about). Sadly, I've had to take a break from this due to second lockdown, and have had no luck getting experience from vet clinics etc. due to similar reasons, or being too young.
I understand this and personally do not want to place myself or others at risk by gaining experience during this time either. However, I only have until October 2021 to gain a diverse range of experience, and I worry that my application will be at a disadvantage compared to those who knew they wanted to be in this field much sooner than I did.
Do you think universities will be more lenient on work experience requirements in the coming years (or am I totally screwed)? And does anyone know any doable opportunities I could chase up? Thanks
Hi, if you have applied this year for 2021 entry many of the unis have lowered their requirements and allow an online course on future learn called virtual work experience which was created by all the vet unis. However I think these allowances are only for applicants applying for 2021 entry (although we don’t know what’s happening with covid so they may change requirements for next years applicants as well) I understand that it is difficult to get work experience at the moment, but when possible you could do volunteering at the RSPCA, experience at vets is also important. For now I would recommend doing that online course and there is another one as well called do you have what it takes to be a vet which I enjoyed. Also some unis have a time limit on when they expect work experience to be completed eg only experience completed in the last 18months counts, so I wouldn’t worry too much about being at a disadvantage, everyone is in the same situation and I think the majority of applicants do the bulk of their work experience the year just before they apply. The unis understand this, so will make allowances, it’s good that you’ve already done some volunteering, so try not to worry too much.
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Don't worry, you have plenty of time!
I decided I wanted to be a vet roughly the October before I applied the following and I managed to get about 24 weeks - you DO NOT need this much and this was pre-COVID but you will be able to get some. London is a big hinderance for you but vet schools will take that and the current situation into account. Many lambing placements provide accommodation - COVID or not farming goes on and farmers will still be taking lambing students. I do believe you will struggle to gain veterinary placements as the backlog of vet students waiting to graduate who need them is pretty high and they will be given priority with many practices looking to recruit students this way. That isn't to say between now and October you cant find a single week of veterinary practice - I would argue this is definitely achievable. You mentioned you were young but how young is young - many places won't take people under 16 but if you are looking at applying next October this is likely not the case?
COVID will have a lasting impact over the next year or so and I fully expect universities will still have reduced requirements for students applying 2021 but likely nowhere near as drastic as this year, it just depends on the situation next summer.
vm26
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi
I am looking for a lambing placement around Glasgow for Easter 2021, If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. Thank you!!
ceciliaM07
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
there are also some online work experience courses, i signed up for InvestIn Education's one, i dont know whether the places are filled up or not but I heard great things about it. Its going to be over the 5-6TH of december. Submit reply

(Original post by vm26)
Hi
I am looking for a lambing placement around Glasgow for Easter 2021, If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. Thank you!!
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by vm26)
Hi
see the response in this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6797114
wartjr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)
Don't worry, you have plenty of time!
I decided I wanted to be a vet roughly the October before I applied the following and I managed to get about 24 weeks - you DO NOT need this much and this was pre-COVID but you will be able to get some. London is a big hinderance for you but vet schools will take that and the current situation into account. Many lambing placements provide accommodation - COVID or not farming goes on and farmers will still be taking lambing students. I do believe you will struggle to gain veterinary placements as the backlog of vet students waiting to graduate who need them is pretty high and they will be given priority with many practices looking to recruit students this way. That isn't to say between now and October you cant find a single week of veterinary practice - I would argue this is definitely achievable. You mentioned you were young but how young is young - many places won't take people under 16 but if you are looking at applying next October this is likely not the case?
COVID will have a lasting impact over the next year or so and I fully expect universities will still have reduced requirements for students applying 2021 but likely nowhere near as drastic as this year, it just depends on the situation next summer.
Thank you for your response! I actually managed to get an interview for experience at a small animal vets tomorrow, so I'll see how it goes :-) I'm 16 which is usually enough for most things, but I find a lot of places prioritise older students, or can't take me due to insurance reasons.

Edit: I've also just contacted a lot of lambing places, but I dread the 5 hour journeys up north <:-( As you said it's unlikely I'll get a chance this time around as I'm sure many veterinary students will also be looking to do this
Last edited by wartjr; 10 months ago
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Vet students always need to do lambing as part of EMS so from that point of view nothing will be very different. The farmers will still need the help - it might just be harder if they aren't well set up for separate accommodation.
TheWannabeFarmer
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank you for your response! I actually managed to get an interview for experience at a small animal vets tomorrow, so I'll see how it goes :-) I'm 16 which is usually enough for most things, but I find a lot of places prioritise older students, or can't take me due to insurance reasons.

Edit: I've also just contacted a lot of lambing places, but I dread the 5 hour journeys up north <:-( As you said it's unlikely I'll get a chance this time around as I'm sure many veterinary students will also be looking to do this
There are sheep farms all across the UK not only in the North (although this is the best part of the UK ) and lambing will definitely be a placement you will be able to get over small animal clinics at this time but hope your interview goes well
Euapp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Lots of vet practices don't like taking under 18's for work placements, but I took out private insurance and that seemed to help. I live in a city as well,so farm work was complicated but I traveled 500 miles to do it this summer. It is available, but you have to be motivated and determined and willing to step out of your comfort zone a bit.I phoned and emailed farms and practices non stop for weeks on end. I ended up spending hours a day in buses and trains to get to veterinary clinics, but it was possible, so don't give up.
Failing that, there are online programs that can replace a part of the work experience, so worth a try. Dogs at the RSPCA need walking, and riding club ponies need to be taken out to paddocks etc.The first lockdown was in Spring with longer days and better weather. With shorter days, help is really needed. It might be a little way away from home and it's often complicated, but even during the first COVID most applicants had the required work experience so do your best.It'll be worth it.
username5482462
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’d recommend trying to volunteer for your local animal charities as well as do lots of online courses, as it shows your willingness to the profession and in the long run will pay off. I don’t know if it will count for your year, but all the vet schools worked on an online 2 week course as a replacement for work experience applicants may not of gained in the clinical setting so maybe chase that up and do that. I’m sure they will adapt the work experience requirements for your year due to the lockdowns and they will know that this would of negatively impacted your application. I know most farms are still letting people volunteer ( I am currently volunteering on one) so maybe try and find one (mind you are in London so may be more difficult).
Hopefully come spring you will be able to start volunteering !!
Good luck with your application next year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.16%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.32%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.74%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.58%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (47)
24.74%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.58%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.89%

Watched Threads