The Student Room Group

I feel like a ****// Guy help

Hi all,

I decided after reading this book on Asperger's to raise awareness for Autism/Aspergers. I have ADD, and my boyfriend has Aspergers.

Lately, things for me have been difficult and things for him have been difficult.

I wanted to make him proud :frown: and so I took it upon myself kind of stupidly spur of the moment thing where I told him something that means a great deal to him and me.

I wanted to fundraise for the National Autistic society, not just donate but actually fundraise.

I used to do athletics growing up but have stopped over 3 years ago, and I've have major anxiety. He is aware of how anxious I can get and how I struggle even going out sometimes.

I really wanted to raise awareness, and still do. I decided instantly I wanted to hold a virtual Quiz, I asked him if he could help promote it and share a link of what I'm doing. He's raised money for the exact same charity and cycled from coast to coast.

I'm so proud of him and I wish I could do something like that, but I can't cycle I have never been on a bike, it's a fear of mine (Stupid I know!)

He suggested walking, and doing a 17 mile walk, obviously due to how unfit and anxious I've been I have a feeling no one would really partake in that journey with me.

He's currently long distancing right now so it's not like he can help partake and my family aren't exactly.... the Generous type, and I don't get along with many people.

I don't have many friends, and those I do have are at University and I doubt they'd participate with me.

So I settled on a quiz, I feel stupid he obviously expected me to go hard or go home, and I feel like all I ever do is make a fool out of myself and look completely selfish or idiotic.

I really want to do this and I told him after much debate on it that doing something I'm good at (I'm quite brainy rather than sporty) is going to be useful because it's best to showcase your talents, I'm quite good at making quizzes too and so wouldn't mind.

I was thinking of making a google form, and sharing a link and having a Gofundme page. I was thinking of a good ol' Christmas quiz I love Christmas quizzes! they'd be a blast to make, I think I'd have so much fun.

But my boyfriend is pushing me to do a zoom PowerPoint quiz, again, I dislike going on zoom a lot, I stay away if I can help it, I've had a zoom birthday and was too worried and so antisocial to even thank basic family members, my younger sister helped me and organised it all :frown:

I just really am conflicted I push myself out of my comfort zone and really don't want to disappoint him, but if I was to do a zoom meeting how do I get participants, if I myself speak to very few people ;/

Any help at all would be appreciated! x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Hi all,

I decided after reading this book on Asperger's to raise awareness for Autism/Aspergers. I have ADD, and my boyfriend has Aspergers.

Lately, things for me have been difficult and things for him have been difficult.

I wanted to make him proud :frown: and so I took it upon myself kind of stupidly spur of the moment thing where I told him something that means a great deal to him and me.

I wanted to fundraise for the National Autistic society, not just donate but actually fundraise.

I used to do athletics growing up but have stopped over 3 years ago, and I've have major anxiety. He is aware of how anxious I can get and how I struggle even going out sometimes.

I really wanted to raise awareness, and still do. I decided instantly I wanted to hold a virtual Quiz, I asked him if he could help promote it and share a link of what I'm doing. He's raised money for the exact same charity and cycled from coast to coast.

I'm so proud of him and I wish I could do something like that, but I can't cycle I have never been on a bike, it's a fear of mine (Stupid I know!)

He suggested walking, and doing a 17 mile walk, obviously due to how unfit and anxious I've been I have a feeling no one would really partake in that journey with me.

He's currently long distancing right now so it's not like he can help partake and my family aren't exactly.... the Generous type, and I don't get along with many people.

I don't have many friends, and those I do have are at University and I doubt they'd participate with me.

So I settled on a quiz, I feel stupid he obviously expected me to go hard or go home, and I feel like all I ever do is make a fool out of myself and look completely selfish or idiotic.

I really want to do this and I told him after much debate on it that doing something I'm good at (I'm quite brainy rather than sporty) is going to be useful because it's best to showcase your talents, I'm quite good at making quizzes too and so wouldn't mind.

I was thinking of making a google form, and sharing a link and having a Gofundme page. I was thinking of a good ol' Christmas quiz I love Christmas quizzes! they'd be a blast to make, I think I'd have so much fun.

But my boyfriend is pushing me to do a zoom PowerPoint quiz, again, I dislike going on zoom a lot, I stay away if I can help it, I've had a zoom birthday and was too worried and so antisocial to even thank basic family members, my younger sister helped me and organised it all :frown:

I just really am conflicted I push myself out of my comfort zone and really don't want to disappoint him, but if I was to do a zoom meeting how do I get participants, if I myself speak to very few people ;/

Any help at all would be appreciated! x

Not sure you are in the UK? I read it but not sure I took everything in.

I got the following:

1. You want to do something to make your bf proud plus raise money for the national autistic society.
2. That will be a quiz.
3. You would be ok with Quiz type A.
4. You would not be ok with Quiz type B due to anxiety issues.

Its a good thing to push your comfort zone, especially if you have anxiety issues, but it is ok to be steady and gradual.
I would write some lists or brain storm why you want to do it- what you would get out of it- what other people might get from it and what the barriers/ hurdles/ downsides/ risks of you doing it are so you can see plus crystallize them.

Break the topic down into different tasks by asking questions as to how to make it a reality.

1. Who is it for? Maybe speak to the national autistic society and run the idea past them?
2. What will it be? Some sort fo quiz.
3. How will I get the quiz? By research that can be done independently? Christmas is fine but you dont have much time.
4. What format will the quiz be? Types of questions, visual , audio, knowledge etc.
5. How ,.long will it be and how will I get people together?
6. Maybe you could look into doing one by post or the safe method and then another by zoom and see which one or how interested in either or both people are?
7. When will it be?
8. How will you get people? if its for NAS then maybe they have a mailing list or could direct people to your go fund me? Parents of family of autistic children? Maybe have an autistic relevant section so it could be semi educational as well?
9. Will you need any help or any props/ equipment?
10. Can you be organised and get it ready in time?
11. Prizes and raising funds?
12. Be aware of the timetable.

Am sure there are articles on how to organise a quiz?

The point is by breaking it down into component parts you can deal with each as a mini project and gradually it will build up.

Dont get de railed by zoom or not zoom but explore different options. Maybe get feedback from others? When you have done most of the research and prep you can then decide which one you wish to do with a pros and cons. If everyone wants option B, then you will need to make it happen, with ,maybe a backup plan of someone to help out?

No idea, but I would start with an approach something like that and as I learnt more, then I would adjust my strategy/ plan. Plenty of those tasks you can start working on if you commit. Hope that gives you some insight.

https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/raise-money/fundraise-from-home/virtual-quiz
https://fundraising.co.uk/2019/12/17/virtual-quiz-platform-created-for-charity-fundraisers/
https://www.braintumourresearch.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/how-to-host-your-own-charity-quiz.pdf?sfvrsn=5091dd01_2
https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/get-involved/do-your-own-fundraising/the-big-quiz

Keep it manageable and dont get too ambitious.

If you get the format right then easy for you to run again or just change questions.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Not sure you are in the UK? I read it but not sure I took everything in.

I got the following:

1. You want to do something to make your bf proud plus raise money for the national autistic society.
2. That will be a quiz.
3. You would be ok with Quiz type A.
4. You would not be ok with Quiz type B due to anxiety issues.

Its a good thing to push your comfort zone, especially if you have anxiety issues, but it is ok to be steady and gradual.
I would write some lists or brain storm why you want to do it- what you would get out of it- what other people might get from it and what the barriers/ hurdles/ downsides/ risks of you doing it are so you can see plus crystallize them.

Break the topic down into different tasks by asking questions as to how to make it a reality.

1. Who is it for? Maybe speak to the national autistic society and run the idea past them?
2. What will it be? Some sort fo quiz.
3. How will I get the quiz? By research that can be done independently? Christmas is fine but you dont have much time.
4. What format will the quiz be? Types of questions, visual , audio, knowledge etc.
5. How ,.long will it be and how will I get people together?
6. Maybe you could look into doing one by post or the safe method and then another by zoom and see which one or how interested in either or both people are?
7. When will it be?
8. How will you get people? if its for NAS then maybe they have a mailing list or could direct people to your go fund me? Parents of family of autistic children? Maybe have an autistic relevant section so it could be semi educational as well?
9. Will you need any help or any props/ equipment?
10. Can you be organised and get it ready in time?
11. Prizes and raising funds?
12. Be aware of the timetable.

Am sure there are articles on how to organise a quiz?

The point is by breaking it down into component parts you can deal with each as a mini project and gradually it will build up.

Dont get de railed by zoom or not zoom but explore different options. Maybe get feedback from others? When you have done most of the research and prep you can then decide which one you wish to do with a pros and cons. If everyone wants option B, then you will need to make it happen, with ,maybe a backup plan of someone to help out?

No idea, but I would start with an approach something like that and as I learnt more, then I would adjust my strategy/ plan. Plenty of those tasks you can start working on if you commit. Hope that gives you some insight.

https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/raise-money/fundraise-from-home/virtual-quiz
https://fundraising.co.uk/2019/12/17/virtual-quiz-platform-created-for-charity-fundraisers/
https://www.braintumourresearch.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/how-to-host-your-own-charity-quiz.pdf?sfvrsn=5091dd01_2
https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/get-involved/do-your-own-fundraising/the-big-quiz

Keep it manageable and dont get too ambitious.

If you get the format right then easy for you to run again or just change questions.

Thank you!

My plan is to start of slow and small, only reason why I'm not pushing out of my comfort zone is lockdown, and mainly because I just don't know enough people to get attention, I've done surveys, and charity events as a kid and it never got noticed that much, I hated filing out sponsorship forms, and always felt awkward.

My boyfriend had a supportive family and still has who of course helped raise awareness for him he was able to raise 1.6K which is awesome when he was just 14 he cycled coast to coast.

I want to start of small so that if it turns out a huge success, then I'd be more than happier to do more fundraisers and take it from there, I'm not good at organising things you see I have ADD so all of this is just a spur of the moment, but, I'm determined to see it through.

https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/raise-money/fundraise-from-home/virtual-quiz this is what I read..

From this me and my boyfriend agreed on the quiz

I've made the quiz about halfway done made it really festive and christmassy, anyone to take the quiz would pay about 50p although my boyfriend said it should be £1...

If I make links to a gofundme page and set that up with his help and we promote it on stories on sc, whatsapp or facebook etc it might get people's attentions if my mother also chips in being the Facebook savvy mum she is, she might be able to promote viewers and get it done that way.

My intention to do this was basically to show him that I am trying to understand, and even though sometimes I can't because we're all human and we all misunderstand that he's not alone, and I'm never going to judge someone based on what they have. A few relatives are also on the spectrum and I want to raise awareness for them too and the difficulties they face.
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Thank you!

My plan is to start of slow and small, only reason why I'm not pushing out of my comfort zone is lockdown, and mainly because I just don't know enough people to get attention, I've done surveys, and charity events as a kid and it never got noticed that much, I hated filing out sponsorship forms, and always felt awkward.

My boyfriend had a supportive family and still has who of course helped raise awareness for him he was able to raise 1.6K which is awesome when he was just 14 he cycled coast to coast.

I want to start of small so that if it turns out a huge success, then I'd be more than happier to do more fundraisers and take it from there, I'm not good at organising things you see I have ADD so all of this is just a spur of the moment, but, I'm determined to see it through.

https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/raise-money/fundraise-from-home/virtual-quiz this is what I read..

From this me and my boyfriend agreed on the quiz

I've made the quiz about halfway done made it really festive and christmassy, anyone to take the quiz would pay about 50p although my boyfriend said it should be £1...

If I make links to a gofundme page and set that up with his help and we promote it on stories on sc, whatsapp or facebook etc it might get people's attentions if my mother also chips in being the Facebook savvy mum she is, she might be able to promote viewers and get it done that way.

My intention to do this was basically to show him that I am trying to understand, and even though sometimes I can't because we're all human and we all misunderstand that he's not alone, and I'm never going to judge someone based on what they have. A few relatives are also on the spectrum and I want to raise awareness for them too and the difficulties they face.

As long as you plan it and have tried to cover all angles by putting some thought in then am sure it would be fine.
You just need to fret less. GL.

Quick Reply

Latest