Strawberry_345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
currently been jobless for over 10 months and it's driving me crazy. I've been sending Indeed applications off every other day only to get an email saying ''sorry we've decided not to take your application any further'' i've had experience in customer service jobs such as waitressing but it seems impossible to get a job in retail nowadays especially trying to apply online, i don't really want to go instore and ask either so i don't know how to get a job especially when i'm planning to go university in sept 2021, so i really want to get a job and save some money beforehand to make it easier for me, i've been on universal credit and it's extremely helpful for the time being but i know it's going to affect my student finance for university if i stay on it when i apply for student finance, so i'm trying to get a job and then stop universal credit. Does anyone have any tips with trying to get employed during/after lockdown, and if there is any better websites then Indeed because i'm sick and tired of spending over an hour on an application for the hiring manager to not even bother viewing it. thanks
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have a load of tips

Be confident. Keep looking honestly you can and will find something eventually. I would look at job descriptions, personal specifications, as well as at other information like company reviews and background history on the website of the company in question. Buff up your resume and up skill yourself too.
Make some brief notes as well. Read beyond the lines of the job description to figure out what is being implied only. Get hold of career advice books and analyse their content. Understand what they are looking for and why. On your resume be totally honest. Good luck honey.
Strawberry_345
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
I have a load of tips

Be confident. Keep looking honestly you can and will find something eventually. I would look at job descriptions, personal specifications, as well as at other information like company reviews and background history on the website of the company in question. Buff up your resume and up skill yourself too.
Make some brief notes as well. Read beyond the lines of the job description to figure out what is being implied only. Get hold of career advice books and analyse their content. Understand what they are looking for and why. On your resume be totally honest. Good luck honey.
thank you so much girl xoxo this helped a lot thanks babe x
alex282
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Employment is a thing of the past with all the businesses being crushed for no reason just now, the economic reset is coming. We will all receive a universal basic income but have to volunteer as slaves to get it
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Wow, that's crazy your situation's almost the exact same as mine. What I am doing right now is compiling a list of temping agencies that supply manual workers and phoning them all to see of they have any suitable vacancies, perhaps you could try that?
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Strawberry_345)
currently been jobless for over 10 months and it's driving me crazy. I've been sending Indeed applications off every other day only to get an email saying ''sorry we've decided not to take your application any further'' i've had experience in customer service jobs such as waitressing but it seems impossible to get a job in retail nowadays especially trying to apply online, i don't really want to go instore and ask either so i don't know how to get a job especially when i'm planning to go university in sept 2021, so i really want to get a job and save some money beforehand to make it easier for me, i've been on universal credit and it's extremely helpful for the time being but i know it's going to affect my student finance for university if i stay on it when i apply for student finance, so i'm trying to get a job and then stop universal credit. Does anyone have any tips with trying to get employed during/after lockdown, and if there is any better websites then Indeed because i'm sick and tired of spending over an hour on an application for the hiring manager to not even bother viewing it. thanks
I've always found indeed and reed odd and have never had a reply from jobs applied to them, think the issue with those recruitment sites is that so so many people apply to jobs there or just recycle cvs without much extra effort in the actual job/ company. It is always much better and personal to apply to companies offering jobs on their own site. Unfortunately its a tough time for the jobs you will be going for, but you just need to keep going in the hope one pulls through
route255
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by tjames988)
I've always found indeed and reed odd and have never had a reply from jobs applied to them, think the issue with those recruitment sites is that so so many people apply to jobs there or just recycle cvs without much extra effort in the actual job/ company. It is always much better and personal to apply to companies offering jobs on their own site. Unfortunately its a tough time for the jobs you will be going for, but you just need to keep going in the hope one pulls through
I applied for a job on Indeed last month, the job was not advertised on the companies website so had to use Indeed.
route255
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Just keep going, im jobless too and on UC. There is lots of retail jobs, i was surprised to get knocked back after two interviews.
tjames988
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by route255)
I applied for a job on Indeed last month, the job was not advertised on the companies website so had to use Indeed.
yeah, I meant to look for jobs not on indeed. I haven't heard of anyone who has previously been successful in a job from indeed
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Indeed/reed etc the mass vacancies on there get absolute shed loads of application (varying in how **** they are) you are better off actually researching individual employers and making tailored applications directly to them. For example, going on your local councils website and checking out what vacancies they have and making an application through their own website following their own format.

i've been on universal credit and it's extremely helpful for the time being but i know it's going to affect my student finance for university if i stay on it when i apply for student finance, so i'm trying to get a job and then stop universal credit.
I'm a bit confused by this quote, I don't know your circumstances but I would suggest having a proper look at this;

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universa...t-and-students

Getting a job doesn't mean immediately stopping Universal Credit either, due to the earnings taper (and dependent on your circumstances, a work allowance)
Strawberry_345
Rep:
?
basically I applied for universal credit and have been getting it since October because i’m currently jobless however uc doesn’t know that I’ve considered going university because i only decided a couple of weeks to try an entry for sept 2021, however if i do get a offer i have to apply for the maintenance allowance by May, which means I have to cancel universal credit if I’m still jobless by May or else they’ll deduct the payments I’ve had from universal credit into my loan money which is crazy because i’m really financially struggling and am depending on uc money currently, and I don’t know whether they’ll understand my change of plans all of sudden, but then if I cancel universal credit before applying for a maintenance loan and still be jobless I won’t have any money commencing May,June,July,August before the start of uni because if you go university you can’t be on universal credit, but because I’m moving out of London to study for uni I’m scared that it’ll be really hard for me and the gov won’t be able to help me out as much because I’ve been on my gap year with universal credit, the plan originally was to find a job and save money up before university if I get a offer, however now I’m saving up universal credit money, but thank you so much for helping this platform is so useful to get help
route255
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
basically I applied for universal credit and have been getting it since October because i’m currently jobless however uc doesn’t know that I’ve considered going university because i only decided a couple of weeks to try an entry for sept 2021, however if i do get a offer i have to apply for the maintenance allowance by May, which means I have to cancel universal credit if I’m still jobless by May or else they’ll deduct the payments I’ve had from universal credit into my loan money which is crazy because i’m really financially struggling and am depending on uc money currently, and I don’t know whether they’ll understand my change of plans all of sudden, but then if I cancel universal credit before applying for a maintenance loan and still be jobless I won’t have any money commencing May,June,July,August before the start of uni because if you go university you can’t be on universal credit, but because I’m moving out of London to study for uni I’m scared that it’ll be really hard for me and the gov won’t be able to help me out as much because I’ve been on my gap year with universal credit, the plan originally was to find a job and save money up before university if I get a offer, however now I’m saving up universal credit money, but thank you so much for helping this platform is so useful to get help
Same here though im a graduate. UC is something but still manage to get skint at the end of month. I was wondering if doing job like Deliveroo is possible on UC?
Strawberry_345
Rep:
?
(Original post by route255)
Same here though im a graduate. UC is something but still manage to get skint at the end of month. I was wondering if doing job like Deliveroo is possible on UC?
same man likke universal credit is good but it's just not as good as having a job and making that money in like 2/3 days for real, hmmm maybe not too sure though, also your a graduate right, do you think maintenance allowance which i'm eligible to get will cover me for 4 years because i'm moving out of london to brum to study, and i don't think i'm going to have any of my own money to take with me to uni so i'm stressed, might have to get a job while i'm there fr
alex282
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The strange thing is I see quite a lot of older people in their 60s and 70s breaking their back stacking shelves and standing counting the people coming in through the door at supermarkets, yet young healthy people like me and my friend don't have a chance in hell at getting a reply on these types of jobs
tjames988
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by alex282)
The strange thing is I see quite a lot of older people in their 60s and 70s breaking their back stacking shelves and standing counting the people coming in through the door at supermarkets, yet young healthy people like me and my friend don't have a chance in hell at getting a reply on these types of jobs
problem is that a lot of people in the past have had prior experience working in supermarkets. So if they need a job now they already have that advantage over people like you without having working ina shelf stacking job before.
Ferrari08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m in the same boat op. I’m a gap year student sitting one sub next summer and honestly feel so so so useless at home doing nothing. I really want a job and have applied to so many places the past 2 months and I haven’t got any good news. It’s starting to really annoy me as spending a whole year doing nothing at home is extremely unhealthy. I might start a YouTube channel or something just to kill time but yh nothings looking good for me atm.
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by alex282)
What a pessimistic and unfounded view. Why should you deserve the job more than someone in their 60s or 70s? Discrimination based on age is illegal under the Equality Act 2010.
Strawberry_345
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ferrari08)
I’m in the same boat op. I’m a gap year student sitting one sub next summer and honestly feel so so so useless at home doing nothing. I really want a job and have applied to so many places the past 2 months and I haven’t got any good news. It’s starting to really annoy me as spending a whole year doing nothing at home is extremely unhealthy. I might start a YouTube channel or something just to kill time but yh nothings looking good for me atm.
omg me too, i'm a gap year student going uni for 4 years next sept and i wanted to get a job before uni to save some money alongside student finance so it makes things easier, you cold try apply for UC for the time being for some help cos it's the only thing getting me through it, same i feel mad depressed at home from being someone who was always busy to someone who doesn't even leave the house anymore, the worst is when you fill out a long job application and they decline you like smh did i sign up to write an essay for a job they're not even going to take a look at, i really thought i was the only one in this sit but it just sucks, feel so hopeless, i might try actually go instore and ask people if they're hiring but it's probs gonna be useless, but hopefully after lockdown more jobs come up and it's easier i've only been applying on indeed so i give up at this point,
maliamalia26
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, I’d advise applying for temp agency jobs as they’re usually always recruiting and you usually start the job as soon as possible too.

You also don’t need much experience for temp agency jobs. You can usually work in retail, admin, warehouse sectors. They’re perfect for people in your situation who are looking for something short term to occupy time.

Try searching for some temping agencies in your city and look for the roles they currently need filling. If you don’t see potential roles on their website, give them a call/drop them an email with your CV and roles you’d be interested in.

If you’re in London, some good temping agencies with work always available include Catapult, Office Angels, BCB, Blue Arrow. There’s a lot more but I just can’t remember off the top of my head.

I hope this helped x
Last edited by maliamalia26; 2 months ago
Strawberry_345
Rep:
?
(Original post by maliamalia26)
Hey, I’d advise applying for temp agency jobs as they’re usually always recruiting and you usually start the job as soon as possible too.

You also don’t need much experience for temp agency jobs. You can usually work in retail, admin, warehouse sectors. They’re perfect for people in your situation who are looking for something short term to occupy time.

Try searching for some temping agencies in your city and look for the roles they currently need filling. If you don’t see potential roles on their website, give them a call/drop them an email with your CV and roles you’d be interested in.

If you’re in London, some good temping agencies with work always available include Catapult, Office Angels, BCB, Blue Arrow. There’s a lot more but I just can’t remember off the top of my head.

I hope this helped x
OMGGGG this is amazing stuff, thanks so much girl i didn't even think about this, i love the student room actually helps soooooo much can't thank you enough i'll deffo give this a shot xoxo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (313)
55.99%
I don't have everything I need (246)
44.01%

Watched Threads