Share one OU module across two degrees?

Watch
maturestudent77
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
If two different degrees share a module is it possible to sit once but count it towards both degrees?
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by maturestudent77)
If two different degrees share a module is it possible to sit once but count it towards both degrees?
As long as it’s not level three then yes you can use it for both degrees.
Level 3 need to be 120 unique credits that haven’t been used in a different degree.
maturestudent77
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
As long as it’s not level three then yes you can use it for both degrees.
Level 3 need to be 120 unique credits that haven’t been used in a different degree.
Thanks for that. So the module could be Level 3 in the first degree and Level 2 in the second degree, that would be fine?

May I ask another question: is it true if a module grade is composed of exam and TMA, they use the worst grade of the two?

So if I got 90% in the exam but averaged 70% for the TMA, my grade for that module would be 70%? They don't multiply each component by a weighting and then sum the two components to give the final score for the module?
Last edited by maturestudent77; 2 months ago
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for that. So the module could be Level 3 in the first degree and Level 2 in the second degree, that would be fine? It's only if the module is Level 3 in both degrees you can't use it with the second.

May I ask another question: is it true if a module grade is composed of exam and TMA, they use the worst grade of the two?

So if I got 90% in the exam but averaged 70% for the TMA, my grade for that module would be 70%? They don't multiply each component by a weighting and then sum the two components to give the final score for the module?
The modules all have a level-you generally can’t use them for different levels.
Basically 1st year, 2nd year and third year. You can’t mix and match between the years.
So if you have a level 2 module that is common in two degrees you can re use it, however you can’t reuse level 3s as they need to be unique.

Some modules have that type of mark scheme but they are moving away from that for most modules. Some modules have 50/50 between the OCAS(score throughout the module) and the OES(overall examination score) -others are 70/30. And some are an average of all weighted scores.
maturestudent77
Rep:
?
The modules all have a level-you generally can’t use them for different levels.
Basically 1st year, 2nd year and third year. You can’t mix and match between the years.
So if you have a level 2 module that is common in two degrees you can re use it, however you can’t reuse level 3s as they need to be unique.

Some modules have that type of mark scheme but they are moving away from that for most modules. Some modules have 50/50 between the OCAS(score throughout the module) and the OES(overall examination score) -others are 70/30. And some are an average of all weighted scores.
Thanks for that.

I'm interested in Maths and Physics. Where can I find out how each individual module is scored? On the subject page it only has the brief 1 page document stating the very high level details. On the module page it only lists whether an exam, TMA etc is required. I can't see anything mentioning component weightings.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for that.

I'm interested in Maths and Physics. Where can I find out how each individual module is scored? On the subject page it only has the brief 1 page document stating the very high level details. On the module page it only lists whether an exam, TMA etc is required. I can't see anything mentioning component weightings.
The assessment structure is given when registered on the module so afaik it is not available to those not registered on it.
I did have a look around even when logged in and can’t find the assessment strategies for modules I am not registered on.
PdManc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The assessment structure is given when registered on the module so afaik it is not available to those not registered on it.
I did have a look around even when logged in and can’t find the assessment strategies for modules I am not registered on.
They should be available via the Module website, often in the Assessment Guide.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PdManc)
They should be available via the Module website, often in the Assessment Guide.
Which can be accessed only when registered on a module...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads