TSR360
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Q: http://prntscr.com/vkjz31

If q and r where both 0 then a = (0 x 0) + 0 where b = 0
This is a contradiction as b > 0.

Is that good enough or do I need show a contradiction for every instance where q = r?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by TSR360)

Is that good enough or do I need show a contradiction for every instance where q = r?
Thats not good enough.

You need every instance.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 8 months ago

If q=r=0, then a=0, so you're attempting to show that zero can be written uniquely in the form bq+r. With this method you'll then need to do 1, 2, ..., and possibly the negative integers depending on what values a can take.

It also fails as you then assume b=0 and say this contradicts b>0. Well don't assume b=0 then - it's not a valid value.

I would suggest looking up the proof and fully understanding the logic of it, otherwise this thread is likely to run for a very long time.

PS: I am somewhat surprised this is A-level. The logic involved is only solidly taught in first year uni.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 8 months ago
TSR360
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Thats not good enough.

You need every instance.
How about this http://prntscr.com/vkpmxg
I'm assuming q1 means q1 has the same properties as q but they're not identical.
TSR360
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
If q=r=0, then a=0, so you're attempting to show that zero can be written uniquely in the form bq+r. With this method you'll then need to do 1, 2, ..., and possibly the negative integers depending on what values a can take.

It also fails as you then assume b=0 and say this contradicts b>0. Well don't assume b=0 then - it's not a valid value.

I would suggest looking up the proof and fully understanding the logic of it, otherwise this thread is likely to run for a very long time.

PS: I am somewhat surprised this is A-level. The logic involved is only solidly taught in first year uni.
There's questions a lot harder than this in my A level textboook. I'm using a beginner number theory textbook to help me understand the proofs more thoroughly, so there might be some overlap between a-level and uni maths but I don't see any other way of being able to do the proofs in a-level as it just isn't very logical.
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
There's questions a lot harder than this in my A level textboook. I'm using a beginner number theory textbook to help me understand the proofs more thoroughly, so there might be some overlap between a-level and uni maths but I don't see any other way of being able to do the proofs in a-level as it just isn't very logical.
The thing is, there are differences in the way in which proof is approached at uni from what is acceptable for A level (not to mention the dependence on intermediate results - or "lemmas" - plus the use of formal axioms), so you may confuse yourself even more by trying to use a uni textbook.

Can you give an example of an A level proof that you think is "more difficult" than this?
Last edited by davros; 8 months ago
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 8 months ago
I'm not the best person to analyse what your particular issue is and advise, but if you're struggling with the logic of A-level proofs, I seriously doubt looking at a number theory book is going to help you; if anything, it's likely to be a bit of a culture shock.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 8 months ago
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm going to add to the chorus of voices saying "mixing a university textbook and an A-level textbook is probably a mistake". Although it does depend a bit on the exact textbooks.

As far as this actual proof goes, you don't seem to understand what you're actually trying to prove. A proof of this would normally begin something like:

"Suppose that a = bq+r and a = bq_1 + r_1, with 0 \leq r < b and 0 \leq r_1 < b. Then ..."

(or alternatively, instead of "Then..." you might have "Suppose (for contradiction) that...").

You don't even mention q_1 and r_1, and instead talk about "if q and r are identical", which doesn't really make any sense at all. I think you're trying to talk about two representations

a = bq+r
and
a = bq+r

where the q, r in the 2nd representation are different from in the 1st representation. If so, all I can say is that using the same letter to mean two different things is going to be a fast track to madness, here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (53)
6.13%
Uncertainty around my education (98)
11.33%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (90)
10.4%
Lack of purpose or motivation (106)
12.25%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (42)
4.86%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (46)
5.32%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (97)
11.21%
Financial worries (60)
6.94%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.62%
Exposure to negative news/social media (55)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
2.89%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (84)
9.71%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (69)
7.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed