Please help? X

Watch this thread
SF2
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a 25 mark A level question coming up and I’m focusing on my plan at the minute however I’m not sure how to structure it and what to put in. The question is ‘What is Knowledge’. Please can you help me?
Smouncher
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Is this for philosophy? If yes, it wants you to talk about different theories of knowledge. I would start by picking your favourite (I.e. out of JTB, infallibility, no false lemas, reliabilism, virtue epistemology etc) and make that clear in your introduction - it needs to be clear what you are arguing for throughout your essay.
Unless you think JTB is good, I would start by explaining Plato’s JTB theory and then show why it is wrong using Gettier and/or fake barns. Then say something along the lines of “some people have proposed... as a solution to this but this is a weak argument because...”
Then propose a stronger (but still in your opinion wrong) argument. And say why it is stronger but still wrong. (You need to give weight to each argument and this is a good way to do this)
Then present your view (stated in introduction). Show how it overcomes challenges, deals with gettier etc, and why it is therefore the strongest definition of knowledge.
Then restate your point in conclusion and be emphatic about it.
Hope that makes sense! And sorry if it’s not philosophy haha
Smouncher
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Just to make above clearer:
Intro - explain what question is asking (I.e maybe specify propositional knowledge and define it). State your view.
P1 - Problems with original JTB
P2 - A theory that tries to solve JTB but that you think is absolutely terrible. Explain why it is terrible (why it is the least crucial argument)
P3 - A better, but still unconvincing theory. Explain why.
P4 - You view. Why it is amazing. Robustly defend.
Conclusion - Sum up. “All other views are bad because... My view is the best because...” in simple terms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
42.08%
Not yet, but I will soon (66)
18.03%
No (146)
39.89%

Watched Threads