extraev
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everyone! I want to study Law, preferably in London. My predicted grades are A*AA, and so far I've decided I'll be applying to King's, Queen Mary's and LSBU. (Also- do you think it's worth applying to UCL?)I was wondering if you have any other London uni recommendations (preferably requirements AAA-ABB), because I feel like I might end up achieving A*AB instead, and I'd like an insurance I'd actually like to go to.Thanks very much in advance!
EU Yakov
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
why are you applying to LSBU with those grades
extraev
Rep:
?
(Original post by EU Yakov)
why are you applying to LSBU with those grades
Just as an insurance, in case I don't get an offer from the rest or miss the requirements. Any better suggestions?
S12356
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
City university of London
megascream
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oh don't apply LSBU for insurance with A*AA. There is nothing good in it. QMUL is safe enough for insurance.

I will definitely try LSE or UCL, but if you really want backup SOAS, City U and even Westminster would be better choice than LSBU. It sounds terrible for someone with predicted A*AA ending up to LSBU.
extraev
Rep:
?
(Original post by megascream)
Oh don't apply LSBU for insurance with A*AA. There is nothing good in it. QMUL is safe enough for insurance.

I will definitely try LSE or UCL, but if you really want backup SOAS, City U and even Westminster would be better choice than LSBU. It sounds terrible for someone with predicted A*AA ending up to LSBU.
Thanks for the advice, how comes LSBU has such a bad reputation? I had a look at City's campus and really disliked it but I'm now considering switching LSBU for City. Though my predicted are high I'm afraid they might be too optimistic, so yeah insurance is defo necessary
megascream
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by extraev)
Thanks for the advice, how comes LSBU has such a bad reputation? I had a look at City's campus and really disliked it but I'm now considering switching LSBU for City. Though my predicted are high I'm afraid they might be too optimistic, so yeah insurance is defo necessary
I won't say LSBU is necessarily one of the worst in London, but it's very mediocre and literally carry no additional reputation. I remembered there was a 1 April joke about LSBU to merge with King's (when I was doing my application). You can get how bad it is when it's a joke.

City law school also has a campus in Grey's Inn. It's close to KCL's main library (just across the street), QM's law school and LSE (these two might be 10 mins away). I have been there once and it looks really nice. I don't know how that works out but maybe you can have a check?

You will be fine even if you slightly miss your offer for QM. QM is not super strict especially if they officially ask A*AA. I'm out of the realm of law for a while. But for me SOAS and Royal Holloway or maybe Westminster and Brunel sounds much better than LSBU in London.
extraev
Rep:
?
I won't say LSBU is necessarily one of the worst in London, but it's very mediocre and literally carry no additional reputation. I remembered there was a 1 April joke about LSBU to merge with King's (when I was doing my application). You can get how bad it is when it's a joke.

City law school also has a campus in Grey's Inn. It's close to KCL's main library (just across the street), QM's law school and LSE (these two might be 10 mins away). I have been there once and it looks really nice. I don't know how that works out but maybe you can have a check?

You will be fine even if you slightly miss your offer for QM. QM is not super strict especially if they officially ask A*AA. I'm out of the realm of law for a while. But for me SOAS and Royal Holloway or maybe Westminster and Brunel sounds much better than LSBU in London.
SOAS said they'd give me a reduced offer but I don't really like their optional modules. I'll probably go with City U and Westminster and hope for the best.
Thanks again!
Laurence00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
SOAS said they'd give me a reduced offer but I don't really like their optional modules. I'll probably go with City U and Westminster and hope for the best.
Thanks again!
Wasn’t Westminster the uni where 8 students joined isis🥶
megascream
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks again!
Wish you good luck to make it in King's (or even UCL/LSE). Your grades deserve that! Maybe we can become alumni someday!
xxvine
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Westminister is rubbish
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Royal Holloway isn't really in London by any meaningful measure. Brunel is about as far out of London as you can get and still call it London.

On some of the other places mentioned:

Westminster - agree with someone else here. It's got problems.
LSBU - do not under any circumstances
SOAS - some of the options are weird, but with QLDs no longer being a thing, does it matter?
City - my own personal opinion is that it's a horrible place and utterly mediocre.
LSE - I personally wouldn't bother. Very few home students seem to get in, the social life isn't the best.
QM - I don't rate the rest of the uni, but everyone raves about the law faculty, so there you go.
UCL - the best, obv. I did masters there
Kings - very good. I did undergrad there
cccohen20
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi everyone! I want to study Law, preferably in London. My predicted grades are A*AA, and so far I've decided I'll be applying to King's, Queen Mary's and LSBU. (Also- do you think it's worth applying to UCL?)I was wondering if you have any other London uni recommendations (preferably requirements AAA-ABB), because I feel like I might end up achieving A*AB instead, and I'd like an insurance I'd actually like to go to.Thanks very much in advance!
Haha yeah, I was in the same boat as you when choosing my 5 Unis. I ended up applying to King's, UCL, Oxford, Royal Holloway, and City. I won't go to City because it doesn't have nearly as much prestige as UCL or King's but I wanted that as a safety school.

I got an offer from Holloway and I'll go if I get rejected from the other top 3. My only issue with Holloway is its small choices of optional modules and how it's not in central London but that's not technically the end of the world.

UCL will be hard because their requirements are higher for Canadian students and they look heavily at the LNAT essay. Also people who got offers seem to have a higher MCQ average (27ish) but idk if that's accurate. I really like the school and location though!

My dream for almost 2 years has been going to King's and I think I have a chance of getting in since my predicated grades converted from Canadian grades is A*A*A (93-94%) but it would be the LNAT that would betray me and get me rejected lol

According to my friend, QMUL is in a sketchy area but it's a good uni for sure, City you can't compare to any of the other UofL, and for the rest just don't bother. Hope that helps!
Last edited by cccohen20; 3 months ago
extraev
Rep:
?
(Original post by cccohen20)
Haha yeah, I was in the same boat as you when choosing my 5 Unis. I ended up applying to King's, UCL, Oxford, Royal Holloway, and City. I won't go to City because it doesn't have nearly as much prestige as UCL or King's but I wanted that as a safety school.

I got an offer from Holloway and I'll go if I get rejected from the other top 3. My only issue with Holloway is its small choices of optional modules and how it's not in central London but that's not technically the end of the world.

UCL will be hard because their requirements are higher for Canadian students and they look heavily at the LNAT essay. Also people who got offers seem to have a higher MCQ average (27ish) but idk if that's accurate. I really like the school and location though!

My dream for almost 2 years has been going to King's and I think I have a chance of getting in since my predicated grades converted from Canadian grades is A*A*A (93-94%) but it would be the LNAT that would betray me and get me rejected lol

According to my friend, QMUL is in a sketchy area but it's a good uni for sure, City you can't compare to any of the other UofL, and for the rest just don't bother. Hope that helps!
Thanks for your response and best of luck!

I hope you enjoy studying here and I also think you have a great chance of getting an offer from Kings
How did you prepare for the LNAT? And how did you find it?
JosephDB
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you only want London I'd say UCL, King's, and QMUL with good grades. Then I'd probably say City and SOAS.
cccohen20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for your response and best of luck!

I hope you enjoy studying here and I also think you have a great chance of getting an offer from Kings
How did you prepare for the LNAT? And how did you find it?
Haha thanks!! I really hope I can get in

I did a lot of preparing because I thought it was hella hard. I did Arborio at first then stopped because it was more difficult then the questions given on the exam. Then I switched to private tutoring which only really helped with my essay not MCQ. Then I did The Lawyers Portal and the practice section A on the LNAT website. Hope it pays off haha.

What about you?
itskqqqq
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by S12356)
City university of London
hi. i got into all the universities that i applied to, and i’ve decided to join city uni of london for law. the ranking is good and the location is great, is it a good choice?
cccohen20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by itskqqqq)
hi. i got into all the universities that i applied to, and i’ve decided to join city uni of london for law. the ranking is good and the location is great, is it a good choice?
Hey! Congrats! That's a great achievement! If I get rejected from KCL and UCL I'll firm City so it's a bit of a last resort for me. Though I do think it is a good university, I'd say there are better and higher ranked options. What were the other unis you applied to and got offers from??
itskqqqq
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cccohen20)
Hey! Congrats! That's a great achievement! If I get rejected from KCL and UCL I'll firm City so it's a bit of a last resort for me. Though I do think it is a good university, I'd say there are better and higher ranked options. What were the other unis you applied to and got offers from??
i didn’t rlly think much before coming up w my ucas list😂 but i applied to city, royal holloway, queen mary, brunel and uni of birmingham. qmul’s conditions were A*AA which i think are difficult for me so.-. also thankyou
extraev
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by itskqqqq)
i didn’t rlly think much before coming up w my ucas list😂 but i applied to city, royal holloway, queen mary, brunel and uni of birmingham. qmul’s conditions were A*AA which i think are difficult for me so.-. also thankyou
congrats! i'm planning on making city my insurance, it's a good uni considering their requirements best of luck!!
Last edited by extraev; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.24%
No (824)
67.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed