The Student Room Group

HKU Interview ( Group Discussion )

Hello I've got an invitation from HKU two weeks ago? I guess
and according to my schedule, it will be on this Friday
so anyone has clue regarding this interview?
it says there will be 20 minutes for analysing and 15 for group discussion and 15 for discussion between each of applicants and professors individually,
plz I'm so worried about it

Scroll to see replies

Even I received the same, email and I am also worried. There is literally no information available on this on the internet. i think they might be doing it the first time.
P.s - I have the interview on 25/11/20, Wednesday
Original post by itz_anish_21
Even I received the same, email and I am also worried. There is literally no information available on this on the internet. i think they might be doing it the first time.

hello, I've just done my interview and truth be told it was super easy.
the article was not as straightforward as I thought but the sophistication of conversation that made by the people in the group was quite disappointed.
anyway don't worry about it
there was no pressure exerted upon students.
Original post by universalcj
hello, I've just done my interview and truth be told it was super easy.
the article was not as straightforward as I thought but the sophistication of conversation that made by the people in the group was quite disappointed.
anyway don't worry about it
there was no pressure exerted upon students.

Hi, I have the interview tomorrow and I wanted to ask whether we would have to write a proper critical analysis in 20 min or it was reading the article for 20 min and just a Group Discussion afterwards.
Hi, I have the interview tomorrow and I wanted to ask whether we would have to write a proper critical analysis in 20 min or it was reading the article for 20 min and just a Group Discussion afterwards.

not really they don't really ask you to write something just choose the way you prefer to
not really they don't really ask you to write something just choose the way you prefer to

So I don't have to submit the paper right? Also could you please tell me the topic of the article.
I am very very nervous hopes it goes well

Spoiler

So I don't have to submit the paper right? Also could you please tell me the topic of the article.
I am very very nervous hopes it goes well

Spoiler

I'm not sure whether I can publicly write the topic on the interview.....
sorry for that but yes you don't need to submit anything.
just be confident
and just give a little hint
the topic that I faced was related to Covid and how to recover the impact from Covid
Just to be clear, what did you do during the first 20 minutes of critical analysis, and was it verbally or in written form?
Original post by BlinkyDoink
Just to be clear, what did you do during the first 20 minutes of critical analysis, and was it verbally or in written form?

I just analyse the article using Word while reading it
I'm not sure whether I can publicly write the topic on the interview.....
sorry for that but yes you don't need to submit anything.
just be confident
and just give a little hint
the topic that I faced was related to Covid and how to recover the impact from Covid

hi, thanx for the tip, it went pretty smooth!
Could you please add what was your topic and aprox. how big was the article
hey! how did it go? can you please tell the format? do they ask personal questions about extra curriculars, hobbies etc? or is it just a group discussion on the article ?

hey! how did it go?
can you please tell the format?
do they ask personal questions about extra curriculars, hobbies etc? or is it just a group discussion on the article ?
hi, thanx for the tip, it went pretty smooth!

hey! how did it go?
do they ask personal questions about extra curriculars, hobbies etc? or is it just a group discussion on the article ?
any tips? how to prepare for it?
Reply 14
Original post by vrindabhola
hey! how did it go?

Hey! I just did mine an hour ago and honestly, you don't have to worry about the group discussion, the students and professors are really nice and you seriously don't have to worry about them criticising you or being rude towards you or the claims that you make. The students who I was in a group with were really nice, supportive and it was really interesting to see others point of view regarding the topic which made it more engaging. So I really mean it when I say: you really don't have anything to worry about.

When you have 20 minutes to read, write down as many phrases you think is important which help you format your statement or what you want to say for the discussion. Make sure what you want to say is clear and logical. Then you have about 5-10 minutes after reading - because they place you into breakout rooms so they need some time for that - so you can try and formulate what you want to say in that time. Maybe write some key sentences or something to help you structure it.

Overall, it was really interesting and I feel the article I was given was also in my favour because those kinds of things are really interesting to discuss and see what others think of it. Good luck with yours and good luck to everyone else who's worrying and comes to this page! Don't worry, because in the end, even if it doesn't go as well as you had hoped, it'll be a great experience! :smile:

Best wishes,
H
Original post by vrindabhola
hey! how did it go?

Hii, it went great. it was pretty easy if you have done MUN's and other Public Speaking activities.
So it was 20 min of reading the article and 30 min of discussion. They give 20 min to read the article and prepare for the discussion and then the next 30 min you go on to discuss the topic of the article.
no, they don't ask personal questions it just the GD on the article.
yeah, so what you can do is quickly write about the points in a tabular format like pros, cons, solution etc.
now you would get a chance to speak about 2-3 times make sure to utilize it well and you get 1 more chance for the conclusion. In short, follow the normal GD etiquettes, don't be aggressive and give everyone else a chance to speak.
Good luck with yours :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Thankyou so much for your help! Appreciate it. At the end of the form they mentioned that the professors will be asking questions individually/ or in a group. So that’s also based on the article, right? Not on our application, activities, why hku and stuff?
Original post by hxs2k
Hey! I just did mine an hour ago and honestly, you don't have to worry about the group discussion, the students and professors are really nice and you seriously don't have to worry about them criticising you or being rude towards you or the claims that you make. The students who I was in a group with were really nice, supportive and it was really interesting to see others point of view regarding the topic which made it more engaging. So I really mean it when I say: you really don't have anything to worry about.

When you have 20 minutes to read, write down as many phrases you think is important which help you format your statement or what you want to say for the discussion. Make sure what you want to say is clear and logical. Then you have about 5-10 minutes after reading - because they place you into breakout rooms so they need some time for that - so you can try and formulate what you want to say in that time. Maybe write some key sentences or something to help you structure it.

Overall, it was really interesting and I feel the article I was given was also in my favour because those kinds of things are really interesting to discuss and see what others think of it. Good luck with yours and good luck to everyone else who's worrying and comes to this page! Don't worry, because in the end, even if it doesn't go as well as you had hoped, it'll be a great experience! :smile:

Best wishes,
H

Thankyou so much for your help! Appreciate it. At the end of the form they mentioned that the professors will be asking questions individually/ or in a group. So that’s also based on the article, right? Not on our application, activities, why hku and stuff?
Thankyou so much for your help! Means a lot
Hello! Thank you for your post! I also have an interview soon, and I'd like to ask you some questions about that:smile:Was the topic of the article related to the major you applied to? Would you recommend to read something or watch? Besides the questions about the article, which questions the professor asked you and other students?Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending