The Student Room Group

Nursing Competitive?

Hi everyone!
I've just applied for adult nursing at Northumbria, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool and Keele.
I know nursing is competitive, but how competitive? Does anyone have an idea of how many spaces these unis or others have for nursing?
Original post by Bebar1110
Hi everyone!
I've just applied for adult nursing at Northumbria, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool and Keele.
I know nursing is competitive, but how competitive? Does anyone have an idea of how many spaces these unis or others have for nursing?

hey its not an answer to this question lol but i would like to do nursing in the future, what a levels do you have to do to get into nursing? x
Reply 2
Original post by Bebar1110
Hi everyone!

Universities tend to have more spaces now, as under the "old" bursary scheme places were capped by commissioning according to predicted need by the local NHS trusts. Doesn't make it any less competative though. Children's nursing tends to be the most competitive as there tends to be more applicants for fewer places - although there's a shortage of nurses generally, there's more demand for adult nurses, then child/MH, then LD, with quite a lot of applicants for Children's nursing!
I know that doesn't really answer your question (sorry!) but a decent set of A level grades, an excellent personal statement which shows exactly why you are a perfect candidate to be a nurse and interview well and you'll get some offers.

Original post by jemma1333
hey its not an answer to this question lol but i would like to do nursing in the future, what a levels do you have to do to get into nursing? x

Whatever you like - theoretically. Some unis demand A level Biology, others will accept social science alternatives ie psychology/sociology, others just specify 3 A levels. Have a look at different university entry requirements.
The only common denominator is GCSE requirements. The NMC demands that universities have to prove that students can cope with the mathematical and English language demands of the course (I mean, who wants a nurse who can't do basic maths for drug calculations or read/write well enough to document properly?) - unis check this by demanding that you have grade C/4 in GCSEs English & Maths.
I've applied to do mental health nursing at Leeds!
Reply 4
It's irrelevant how competitive it is and how many applicants there are versus places.

It's not something you may be able to find out or have any influence over.

What you can control is the research and effort you can put into your UCAS application and selection interviews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending