OCR Chemistry B (Salters) - Anybody doing this?

Watch
Novichok
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
Next year I am going to be doing OCR Chemistry B salters. What's the step up like from GCSE, I know that generally A-Level is a big step up but I am a bit sceptical doing OCR Chemistry when I will be doing AQA at GCSE. I've looked at the past past papers and the questions seem quite different especially when compared with AQA A-Level Chemistry

Does anybody have any experience with this spec and any advice?

Thanks
nerviodor
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 and studying OCR B. Chemistry (Salters).

All exam boards cover the same content more or less, the only difference is the way the content is taught. So the Salters course has more of a context-led approach to teaching so you learn about the real-life applications of the content you learn.

I did GCSE AQA Chemistry and I was worried about doing ocr chemistry for a level. It isn’t as bad as I thought but I guess that remembering how a concept relates to real-life/industry.

Also if you look at the past grade boundaries for a level chemistry you will notice that the salters course tend to have lower grade boundaries which could perhaps show that the OCR B exam is harder compared to the other exam boards.

Feel free to ask me any other questions!
Novichok
Rep:
(Original post by andrei00)

All exam boards cover the same content more or less, the only difference is the way the content is taught. So the Salters course has more of a context-led approach to teaching so you learn about the real-life applications of the content you learn.

I did GCSE AQA Chemistry and I was worried about doing ocr chemistry for a level. It isn’t as bad as I thought but I guess that remembering how a concept relates to real-life/industry.

Also if you look at the past grade boundaries for a level chemistry you will notice that the salters course tend to have lower grade boundaries which could perhaps show that the OCR B exam is harder compared to the other exam boards.

Yeah, I have heard the context led approach term thrown around but I don't really know what that means in all honesty. The past papers make it seem like some questions are "open ended" and there isn't always an obvious answer. Is this correct?

Also, what is the mathematic side of things like?

Thanks
nerviodor
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Novichok)
Yeah, I have heard the context led approach term thrown around but I don't really know what that means in all honesty. The past papers make it seem like some questions are "open-ended" and there isn't always an obvious answer. Is this correct?

Also, what is the mathematic side of things like?

Thanks
To be honest I'm not even too sure what context led means but from my lessons, it seems to be linking the physical world to scientific ideas, in a similar way to practical work. My teacher gave me this example ”students have to produce salt from an aqueous solution of NaCl” or ”You are marooned on a desert island. You have just been out fishing and caught some fish for dinner. You would like some salt to put on your fish. You are going to try and separate some salt from the seawater that surrounds your island. How are you going to do it?”. So it's supposed to make the topic more interesting I guess.

Paper 1 usually consists of 2 parts Section A which us multiple choice and Section B which requires more writing. Papers 2 and 3 are a mixture of short and long answer questions (plus the maths).In section b you do get some “open-ended” questions however your teacher will help you develop an exam technique to help you with these sort of questions.

The maths in chemistry can be quite tricky there are equations to learn and rearrange. The Salter’s course has the same amount of maths as other exam boards. Around 20% if the marks available in exams come from maths questions so it’s quite a lot.
Novichok
Rep:
To be honest I'm not even too sure what context led means but from my lessons, it seems to be linking the physical world to scientific ideas, in a similar way to practical work. My teacher gave me this example ”students have to produce salt from an aqueous solution of NaCl” or ”You are marooned on a desert island. You have just been out fishing and caught some fish for dinner. You would like some salt to put on your fish. You are going to try and separate some salt from the seawater that surrounds your island. How are you going to do it?”. So it's supposed to make the topic more interesting I guess.
Alright, that doesn't sound too bad and does fill me with a bit of confidence. I guess it's a lot more of application of the knowledge that you've learnt rather than remembering specific details and facts.

The maths in chemistry can be quite tricky there are equations to learn and rearrange. The Salter’s course has the same amount of maths as other exam boards. Around 20% if the marks available in exams come from maths questions so it’s quite a lot.
I know it's the same percentage as the other exam boards but is it more tricky / complex? I'm terrible at Maths without a calculator and I know you're allowed one with Chemistry but I am concerned that it might be difficult... Is it just remembering specific formulas and equations so you can solve something?
nerviodor
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Novichok)
Alright, that doesn't sound too bad and does fill me with a bit of confidence. I guess it's a lot more of application of the knowledge that you've learnt rather than remembering specific details and facts.

I know it's the same percentage as the other exam boards but is it more tricky / complex? I'm terrible at Maths without a calculator and I know you're allowed one with Chemistry but I am concerned that it might be difficult... Is it just remembering specific formulas and equations so you can solve som
-Yes it is more about the application of the content but you do need to know the facts and concepts in order to apply them.

- It's hard to compare math questions because they are quite similar in all exam boards but I guess you could say that the way the questions are worded in the OCR B Walters course might be a bit confusing as you have to select the information you need for the calculation and some of the numbers given might not be relevant at all.

- The maths in chemistry is similar to the one in GCSE maths higher but there are a few more advanced mathematical skills. If you disliked maths at GCSE you might struggle a bit at a level chemistry but your teachers will be there to guide you and I’m sure you’ll get better at it if you put in the effort.( I got a 6 in GCSE maths and I'm finding the maths question in chemistry manageable)

-Also I did want to mention that the Salter’s course runs in “Storylines” e.g Elements if life where you learn about the periodic table, fusion etc. So you have an introduction of topics and concepts which are developed in later storylines so let’s say you do some organic chemistry in your second topic you’ll learn more about it later in your course. So it sort of builds up over the knowledge you learn gradually.
Shah2003
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 11 months ago

I am also doing ocr B salters how many chapters have you done and what resources do you use for questions ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.41%
Okay (114)
29.01%
A bit lacking (150)
38.17%
Not good at all (92)
23.41%

Watched Threads