Will Uni's be Lenient with Predicted Grades?

Watch
Lewi 75
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Most Year 13's have mock exams right now, and the grades gotten from those exams will be used for our UCAS Predicted. Say for example, after mocks, someone ends up with a BBC predicted, and they want to apply for a Uni with AAB or ABB predicted, will the universities be lenient enough to consider these students (bearing in mind that we have missed 6/7 months of education) or might they still reject them?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lewi 75)
Most Year 13's have mock exams right now, and the grades gotten from those exams will be used for our UCAS Predicted. Say for example, after mocks, someone ends up with a BBC predicted, and they want to apply for a Uni with AAB or ABB predicted, will the universities be lenient enough to consider these students (bearing in mind that we have missed 6/7 months of education) or might they still reject them?
No - they won't be that lenient ... it's a bit late to be deciding predicted grades ...
Lewi 75
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
No - they won't be that lenient ... it's a bit late to be deciding predicted grades ...
For my sixth form, we still haven't done our UCAS Predicted grades, which we will use as our predicted grades for our UCAS application. Our teachers plan to use the grades we get in this exam for the predictions, but we have missed 6/7 months of education (some people missing more due to isolation), so I just assumed some AAB or ABB entry uni's would be at least lenient with students that are predicted BBB or BBC.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For my sixth form, we still haven't done our UCAS Predicted grades, which we will use as our predicted grades for our UCAS application. Our teachers plan to use the grades we get in this exam for the predictions, but we have missed 6/7 months of education (some people missing more due to isolation), so I just assumed some AAB or ABB entry uni's would be at least lenient with students that are predicted BBB or BBC.
How did you miss 6 months? You should have been back in school in June ... has no-one submitted their UCAS yet? What about Oxbridge or Medicine appliccants?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It will depend on the university but 3 grades short is quite a drop. If you are given an offer it will be the standard one. Nobody can tell whether you will get an offer but Muttley79ey is right that predicted grades are usually provided well before now. Many will have made their applications by now and those that havent should know what grades they are predicted to look at appropriate universities.
Lewi 75
Rep:
?
How did you miss 6 months? You should have been back in school in June ... has no-one submitted their UCAS yet? What about Oxbridge or Medicine appliccants?
Nope. We were only at school back for exams and some students who were falling behind only came back in. I have received an October predicted but I haven't applied yet as I want to see what I get for mocks and then apply.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Nope. We were only at school back for exams and some students who were falling behind only came back in. I have received an October predicted but I haven't applied yet as I want to see what I get for mocks and then apply.
Why weren't you back - the Government said you should be? So you do have predictions ... you'll need to get your application in before Jan 15th to get equal consideration.
Lewi 75
Rep:
?
Why weren't you back - the Government said you should be? So you do have predictions ... you'll need to get your application in before Jan 15th to get equal consideration.
Well some schools chose not to open. I have a vulnerable people in my family, so I couldn't risk going back.
MinnieW09
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
AAB to BBC is quite a gap. Unis will go based on your predicted grades.

If you have BBC predicted I'd apply for universities that have that as an entry requirement. Maybe pick one that is ABC/BBB or ABB if you have a really strong personal statement and the course isnt too competitive.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well some schools chose not to open. I have a vulnerable people in my family, so I couldn't risk going back.
You were set work though?

It's too big a gap - either apply to lower offer places or apply with grades next year.
alittlestressed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
were you dead or something? We had a whole ass pandemic. My school for example didn't have any mocks and based it on two exams we did in year 12.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just to add that aside from the usual small tweaks, my uni has not amended its offer making criteria this cycle.
abiloui5e
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They should be lenient. At my sixth form I received no lit work during lockdown and sent in an essay that never got marked as the teacher decided on an early retirement! When we came back in September, we had mocks on the second week back which determines our UCAS and our year as a whole have not done very well at all. I know for a fact if i’d have actually been taught the book i was writing about i would have done much better and hope they take into consideration how much we’ve lost out on- they can’t expect our grades to be at the normal standard. I wish we could have done mocks now as everyone would have performed so much better! I don’t think it was fair to make us do them straight away especially when we will be compared to many others who do them later or possibly haven’t done them at all. My UCAS is currently AAAB and i applied to Cambridge. I don’t have a chance!
hajima
Report 1 month ago
They won't be lenient, no. They don't really have a reason to be when predictions are inevitably going to be hugely inflated this year.
SparkleFace
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My school certainly wasn’t. It was planned but it didn’t happen. Please please keep this in mind. Areas that were worst hit like Manchester in June didn’t open schools
SparkleFace
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OP, it is hard to say. Some universities like Birmingham have reduced all course offers by one grade (doesn’t include med and health subjects) but in your position it would be best to ring up those universities that you have chosen and ask about this. It’s worth trying and I believe some will be lenient good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (226)
55.67%
I don't have everything I need (180)
44.33%

Watched Threads