Access to HE course or straight to open uni STEM degree?

Watch
timdr500
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,

I am interested in learning a STEM subject. I have a talent for maths, and computer science interests me, but I want to keep my options open. I'm interested in the Open University Combined STEM degree, because it offers flexibility.

I didn't do A-Levels. I am currently looking at 2 options:
1. Doing an access to HE course before starting the degree in October.
2. Starting the degree in February, learning what I can between now and the start date.

Do you think it makes a significant difference if I have the Access course before the degree? From what I can see, I think I would manage the degree without the access course. But I could probably do higher level modules if I do the access course first. How much of a difference do you think this will make 1. To my success in studying 2. To my ability to get a job?
hobba
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The open university has no entry requirements - nothing. Also it is generally accepted you do the equivalent of the first year at the open university and many usual universities will admit you. It's not Computer Science but the Open Plus pathway is interesting:
http://www.open.ac.uk/choose/openplus/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (393)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.45%

Watched Threads