The Student Room Group

Has anyone heard back about interviews from Corpus Christi yet?

All in the title. Has anyone?
No!! I have applied as an international student for the PBS tripos and the anxiety is KILLING ME. I should be studying for my exams (since the lockdown has made everything a million times harder than they should be) but I just can't concentrate.
Original post by nandinib267
No!! I have applied as an international student for the PBS tripos and the anxiety is KILLING ME. I should be studying for my exams (since the lockdown has made everything a million times harder than they should be) but I just can't concentrate.

AHHHHHHHH same!! The tension is too much honestly. I'm applying for anglo-saxon norse and celtic, and I all I want to do is knowww!!
Good luck in your exams! How come you applied to corpus btw? Whast made you choose it out of interest
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by a6thformerofsort
AHHHHHHHH same!! The tension is too much honestly. I'm applying for anglo-saxon norse and celtic, and I all I want to do is knowww!!
Good luck in your exams! How come you applied to corpus btw? Whast made you choose it out of interest

Honestly, I put in an open application. I decided to apply to Cambridge three days before the deadline. Wrote my personal statement in two hours, edited it myself and sent it in. I didn't have time to research colleges so I just put in an open application and I was assigned Corpus. Though, since then I've done a lot of research and I'm very happy with the allotment.
What about you?
Honestly, I put in an open application. I decided to apply to Cambridge three days before the deadline. Wrote my personal statement in two hours, edited it myself and sent it in. I didn't have time to research colleges so I just put in an open application and I was assigned Corpus. Though, since then I've done a lot of research and I'm very happy with the allotment.
What about you?

Wow, that is so intense!! Tbh, that is the kind of thing that I would have done if my school didn't insist that everyone had double checked personal statements with form tutors.
I chose Corpus because it is small (which is nice), very beautiful, it has a drinking horn which is very cool, the Parker Library is amazing, and also I heard that some ducklings hatch there every year which is quite nice. Also, it's rich which is quite perky if I every decide to do anything that would need college funding.
Since we last spoke, I actually got invitied to an interview, which was really exicitng as I didn't think I'd get one! How about you?
Wow, that is so intense!! Tbh, that is the kind of thing that I would have done if my school didn't insist that everyone had double checked personal statements with form tutors.
I chose Corpus because it is small (which is nice), very beautiful, it has a drinking horn which is very cool, the Parker Library is amazing, and also I heard that some ducklings hatch there every year which is quite nice. Also, it's rich which is quite perky if I every decide to do anything that would need college funding.
Since we last spoke, I actually got invitied to an interview, which was really exicitng as I didn't think I'd get one! How about you?

Haha. I got rejected. But considering how rushed my application was, I would've had a lot less respect for Cambridge if I had been invited. It's okay because I've already been offered a place by Cardiff and I'm kind of hopeful about my other colleges (KCL, UCL and Exeter). Since I am an international student, studying in the UK is kind of a far-reach for me. I've applied to some 22 schools in the US.
I guess I'll just see what happens.
Congratulations though! It seems like you're pretty invested in Corpus. I hope you get in. I read something that said something like 75% of those who get invited to interview are offered a place. So, I think you can bee optimistic. I'll try to find the article and I'll send the link to you.
I'm curious about where else you applied. I mean, if Cambridge is interested in you, I am sure a lot of other good unis must be too.
Haha. I got rejected. But considering how rushed my application was, I would've had a lot less respect for Cambridge if I had been invited. It's okay because I've already been offered a place by Cardiff and I'm kind of hopeful about my other colleges (KCL, UCL and Exeter). Since I am an international student, studying in the UK is kind of a far-reach for me. I've applied to some 22 schools in the US.
I guess I'll just see what happens.
Congratulations though! It seems like you're pretty invested in Corpus. I hope you get in. I read something that said something like 75% of those who get invited to interview are offered a place. So, I think you can bee optimistic. I'll try to find the article and I'll send the link to you.
I'm curious about where else you applied. I mean, if Cambridge is interested in you, I am sure a lot of other good unis must be too.

Oh no! It's a shame you got rejected - it's good that you seem to be taking it easy. The unis you applied to are all really, really good esp for pbs - I know a few people who are applying to some of the places you mentioned for the same subject, so best of luck!! Thank you for your well wishes, I really hope I do get in. I applied to Belfast and Glasgow for English, Aberdeen for Anglo-Saxon and Celtic studied and UCL for Viking Studies (we both applied to UCL!). None of them have got back to me yet except Belfast who gave me an offer. I was indeed able to apply to good unis, but not like Exeter or Durham or anything. My predicteds were AAB so I was not actually expecting much from Cambridge, I'm suprised I got an interview tbh, they must have liked my personal statement and reference it seems. That thing you read got my hopes up lol fingers crossed.
Just out of curiosity, where are you from if you are applying as an international and how come you decided to apply to the UK? Where did you apply in the USA?
heard back, rejected pre-interview for natural sciences
Original post by snazzy viking
heard back, rejected pre-interview for natural sciences

Sorry to hear that, bad luck my friend. I'm sure you'll flourish at any uni you end up going to, their loss not yours
Oh no! It's a shame you got rejected - it's good that you seem to be taking it easy. The unis you applied to are all really, really good esp for pbs - I know a few people who are applying to some of the places you mentioned for the same subject, so best of luck!! Thank you for your well wishes, I really hope I do get in. I applied to Belfast and Glasgow for English, Aberdeen for Anglo-Saxon and Celtic studied and UCL for Viking Studies (we both applied to UCL!). None of them have got back to me yet except Belfast who gave me an offer. I was indeed able to apply to good unis, but not like Exeter or Durham or anything. My predicteds were AAB so I was not actually expecting much from Cambridge, I'm suprised I got an interview tbh, they must have liked my personal statement and reference it seems. That thing you read got my hopes up lol fingers crossed.
Just out of curiosity, where are you from if you are applying as an international and how come you decided to apply to the UK? Where did you apply in the USA?

I'm from India.
No one from my family have left even my city to study but they have always wanted to. My parents came from pretty poor backgrounds and did very well for themselves. So ever since I was ?7?, I've known that I was expected to do well and finally leave the city to go study at a prestigious university. I didn't mind it, either- I have always been passionate about learning and I do pretty well for myself academically. The schooling system in India is too rigid for me and all the well-established universities are very inflexible in their ways. I mean, the only "reputable" college you can get into (in India) is IIT. And IIT is NOTORIOUS for student suicides. I knew I wouldn't be happy here so I had my eyes set on going abroad since the 5th grade, I think. I'm also curious to be a part of a whole new culture. I studied in a boarding school so I was exposed to people from all over India and it was a very nice experience to hear about things that you wouldn't normally experience since you don't come from that background.
Wow I sound like such a nerd.
My first choice university is undeniably the University of Chicago. I really like the school and what it presents itself as. I have put A LOT of effort into my application so I'm optimistic. Apart from that, a few colleges I have applied to in the US are: Northwestern, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, Stanford, Yale, Brown, Swarthmore, Cornell, Vanderbilt, WashU, etc..
In total, I have applied to 30 colleges- 22 in the States, 5 in the UK and 2 in India (as a last resort).
I'm super enthusiastic. I mean, after a point I started using my application as a way to just talk to someone (I'm a single child and all my friends live far away). I just take every opportunity I can to talk (case in point: this TED talk I'm giving you rn). Also, applications are a nice distractions from the train wreck that my exams are turning out to be. I got my first B this year. I wasn't happy.
Oh! My best friend got into Kings for Biotech. I was very proud of her. If I get in too, we're planning on living together. It's nice to plan everything- takes the edge off this whole process.
Anyway, since you now basically know my whole life story, you are obligated to tell me yours. Or not. Does that sound, like, creepy? I hope not. I don't mean it in a creepy way.
I'm going to stop writing now. If you got this far, thanks : )
Wow - loved hearing your life story lol, it's pretty amazing compared to mine. My friend moved to the uk from India last year and she has talked about the immense pressure that is put on people to get into good uni and the amount of stress and competitveness, sounds like absolute hell. Sincerely wish you the best of luck with your US applications and hope you end up being exactly where you want and are meant to be!
Not creepy at all to ask for my life story, not as interesting as yours tho lol.
I have wanted to go to Cambridge for as long as I can remember (same as a lot of peeps in TSR tbh) - my grandmother used to take me there for trips to the town when I was little (still does sometimes) and I've always sort of been in love with it. I've always loved old stories the older and crazier the better, which grew into a love of mythology and fantasy, which grey into a love of tolkein, which grew into a love of sagas, which grew into a love of saxon and norse poetry (which in turn sprouted a side branch of a love of classics).... and here I am applying to Anglo-Saxon/Norse and Celtic things to anywhere in the country that does a decent course in it! Turns out cambridge actually does practically the only and the absolute best course in the country, so hopefully I can get in but I don't think I'll fret too much, because so many people get rejected a year and other unis are just as good.
I've experienced a range quality of education across the british education system - i went to a really sh*t primary school that was so bad it was on the news (it was really that bad), to a very decent secondary and now a private school for 6th form, so I'd like to say I know what it's like to be educated across the british system which has been quite interesting. I have kept in contact with all my friends, which has meant that I know people doing lots of different things atm and I feel it's quite nice to have friendships with people who aren't doing exactly the same thing as you or are in the same bubble, and are going down totally different, paths I never would have thought possible! That's why I'm glad I move to totally different schools each time ig. I live in London and would like to get out of it...... ik london is great blah blah but it's bloody expensive and no one wants to stay in their home city for uni. Am currently failing school, because a lot of things and am trying to get 6 hrs of sleep a night (ahhh that would be nice).

So yeah, my life story lmao. Not that interesting I'm afraid. Pretty generic garbage tbh
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending