The Student Room Group

Gotten my MPharm degree (2:1), want to quit my pre-reg (asap).

Hey guys, so currently I'm about 16 weeks into my pre-reg training year with Boots in a very (VERY) busy pharmacy and in short.....I'm absolutely hating it....

I'm gonna copy and paste this emai I had sent to my local trainer (Heathcare Academy Trainer or H.A.T) onto this post - BE WARNED - it's a lengthy email but it'll show you my reasoning of wanting to leave in a clear cut manner.

"Dear X,

I am writing again to request the consideration for a transfer from my position at Boots Banbury Cross Retail Park, store 6432 to a similar position at another Boots store within commuting distance; potentially Castle Quay shopping centre if available. I am aware that I have already complained before and said that I would stick with my currently allocated store, however due to the continued negative comments I’ve been getting from the store manager and my tutor, and to ensure a smooth pre-reg training year, I would like to be allocated to a location with at least some prior experience of having a pre-registration student. While I have enjoyed working alongside most of the people in the store and appreciate the experience I have gained, I cannot help but think that the sole individuals responsible for facilitating my learning process (the store manager and particularly my tutor) are staggering my self-confidence and as a result, my development. The store manager often has a cold attitude and is biased towards those that are unfamiliar with a certain task in-store or to those that approach him for help. The same applies for my tutor, the patronising comments / looks she has been giving me on a daily basis because of my competencies in certain tasks– most of which are things that simply develops with time, are having a huge knock on my confidence and my mental health. Speed of dispensing is often criticised I particularly remember one week in which a store manager from another store came in to help the team prior to the introduction of Colombus, and my tutor made a comment saying that I “need to match her level by now”. I often receive demeaning looks from her whenever I do ask a question (however simple it is) that this makes me even more unwilling and scared to approach her for a learning opportunity. I believe this goes against the whole notion of a relationship between a pre-reg and a tutor, resultingly damaging my self-confidence and making me feel constantly flustered throughout the day.

I have brought up concerns lightly with my tutor during a three-way conversation with the relief pharmacist, mentioning that I really did not appreciate the tone and look she used when I was visibly struggling on dealing with a certain script back in mid-September, to which she replied that I need to understand it’s frustrating for a qualified pharmacist to see someone taking long to deal with a single script. I do not believe this is constructive feedback, just negative feedback. After a recent conversation, I discovered that the prospects of being signed off for my week 13 review will be highly unlikely by her, mentioning to me that she has not seen a “light-bulb” moment in her eyes. From our previous discussion over the phone, I am aware that it is a common case to not be signed off at this stage, and one can still recover from this, however I strongly do believe that she is using her own previous experience as a pre-reg (with having experience working in a dispensary) as a framework to compare me to, which I find highly unfair. This opinion of her goes against to a lot of the opinions of the locums that have given me feedback, all of which were positive for a pre-reg at this stage. I am not exaggerating to say I am suffering from immense stress from this. I am trying to go into work with a positive attitude, however by the end of my shift I come out of that store feeling depressed and just worried for the next day, which further demotivates me from carrying out self-studying.

This pre-registration year is a huge opportunity for me to develop my competencies and confidence as an aspiring pharmacist. I fear that due to my relationship with my tutor, I am unable to approach anyone for help and feel as though I am being left alone to struggle. I hope I've been able to articulate my circumstances in a way that may seem fair and unbiased. While I am excited to venture into what the future of pharmacy holds for me, I'd appreciate any help I can receive at this stage for facilitating my pre-reg year. Again, I apologise for bothering you about this and instead I should be addressing the matter with Tom, the store manager.

Thank you for reading."

I had a bit of an anxiety attack the other night but luckily my older sibling calmed me down over the phone. She works as a G.P consultant and she told me that I've most likely got severe anxiety and / or depression.

The major catch to this whole dilemma is that I've already signed a 1 year contract with the landlord cus I had to move out, so basically for like 7 months I'm gonna be spending a good chunk of my savings with no definite income (I've done the maths....without going into too much detail I do have enough money to cover me, but I'll literally be spending 90% of my savings I've gathered these past years).

I want to know if I'll be considered as a failure if I do something else other than pharmacy.....a degree I've worked so hard towards on but choosing not to become a pharmacist....is that an idiotic thing to do? In fact....are there other jobs actually open out there for me? Employers might be pondering why I have a weird gap in my employment history.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 3 years ago)
@scaphrax so you must urgently edit the letter to completely anonymise any names & locations (important for your future careers) also I don't think it is wise to share your degree certificate, might get Identity theft! serious risk

a famous Leeds/Edinburgh science fiction author called Charles Stross also did a pharmacy degree, many years ago. He quit after the second armed robbery (allegedly) according to his website. he then went into his hobby(*) for work, (*)computers & software, just as a recession/big-tech bubble burst
So after that he went into his second hobby(**) for work, (**)story writing https://www.amazon.com/Charles-Stross/s?k=Charles+Stross

have you got any hobbies?

p.s. some work is stressful, new workers tend to get dumped on, some bosses are bullies, if you can get through - eventually you'll run your own pharmacy!? if you can cope with the mild harassment (I can tell you about worse harassment, but even that can be got through, with courage, patience & talking to friends/family)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LuigiMario
@scaphrax so you must urgently edit the letter to completely anonymise any names & locations (important for your future careers) also I don't think it is wise to share your degree certificate, might get Identity theft! serious risk

a famous Leeds/Edinburgh science fiction author called Charles Stross also did a pharmacy degree, many years ago. He quit after the second armed robbery (allegedly) according to his website. he then went into his hobby(*) for work, (*)computers & software, just as a recession/big-tech bubble burst
So after that he went into his second hobby(**) for work, (**)story writing https://www.amazon.com/Charles-Stross/s?k=Charles+Stross

have you got any hobbies?

p.s. some work is stressful, new workers tend to get dumped on, some bosses are bullies, if you can get through - eventually you'll run your own pharmacy!? if you can cope with the mild harassment (I can tell you about worse harassment, but even that can be got through, with courage, patience & talking to friends/family)

I have made the mentioned changes that you've suggested, only just realised the stupidity of my mistake in online confidentiality. Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending