Step 2 2004 q2

Watch this thread
asianism
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is this question only true when x is not a complex number?
asianism
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
question below
Attached files
asianism
Rep:
Solution below. Neither solution nor question mentions complex numbers. 2-a^2/4 is greater than 0 but if x is complex than (x-a/2)^2 could be negative so they haven't proved it would definitely give a number greater than 0.
Attached files
robertgallacher
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yes, eg. x=i, α=2

x^2 - α|x| + 2
= i^2 - 2|i| + 2
= -1 - 2(1) + 2
= -1 < 0

Hence there would exist a value
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by asianism)
Solution below. Neither solution nor question mentions complex numbers. 2-a^2/4 is greater than 0 but if x is complex than (x-a/2)^2 could be negative so they haven't proved it would definitely give a number greater than 0.
Context matters. x is obviously intended to be real here.
asianism
Rep:
(Original post by DFranklin)
Context matters. x is obviously intended to be real here.
How would I tell if context matters? This is a STEP 2 question which involves further maths content like complex numbers...
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by asianism)
How would I tell if context matters? This is a STEP 2 question which involves further maths content like complex numbers...
Well, context *always* matters, even if usually it's obvious enough that no-one remarks on it.
Being explicit, in this case the following observations are pretty much immediate:

(!) The variable name is x, rather than z, or w.
(2) There is no mention of complex numbers or \mathbb{C} anywhere in the question.
(3) The result is very obviously not true for complex numbers.
(4) The full question talks about intervals, which wouldn't make sense if x was allowed to be complex.

I'll grant you that the way |\alpha| is used might make you momentarily doubt whether you were supposed to working in \mathbb{C} rather than \mathbb{R}, but the deciding factor here would be that the question makes no sense under that assumption (due to (3) and (4)).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (281)
41.57%
The paper was reasonable (282)
41.72%
Not feeling great about that exam... (62)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (51)
7.54%

Watched Threads