tehreemfatima6
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am looking for a safe university. My top choice right now are: Glasgow,Manchester,Leeds and Liverpool. My predicted grades are A*A*A* in Business, Economics and Psychology. I want to have a safe backup option so please give me suggestions about backup unis for business management course. Right now, I can only think of Birkbeck. (the city matters too)
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by tehreemfatima6)
I am looking for a safe university. My top choice right now are: Glasgow,Manchester,Leeds and Liverpool. My predicted grades are A*A*A* in Business, Economics and Psychology. I want to have a safe backup option so please give me suggestions about backup unis for business management course. Right now, I can only think of Birkbeck. (the city matters too)
What do you mean by a safe university. I would have thought these were safe with your predicted grades. Liverpool is asking ABB 5 grades below your predictions. The other suggestions in the area you are looking at would be Sheffield, York and Newcastle.
tehreemfatima6
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
What do you mean by a safe university. I would have thought these were safe with your predicted grades. Liverpool is asking ABB 5 grades below your predictions. The other suggestions in the area you are looking at would be Sheffield, York and Newcastle.
well, I am in self doubt right now. Due to the current situation, I really wanted to have some safe options. universities like York and Newcastle give the same offers as the unis mentioned above so no use. I'm confused between Heriot-watt, birkbeck and aberdeen (although ive heard that the city is v depressing) Plus, i dont think I would be applying to leeds as they require a B in olevel math and I had a C.
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you want a safe option look at unis that give out unconditionals. It's a good idea to have a back up option, anything can happen between now and your exams.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Places that give out unconditionals are almost certainly going to be in Clearing anyway.

As above, 5 grades above is a ridiculously safe option if you meet the subject requirements.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
well, I am in self doubt right now. Due to the current situation, I really wanted to have some safe options. universities like York and Newcastle give the same offers as the unis mentioned above so no use. I'm confused between Heriot-watt, birkbeck and aberdeen (although ive heard that the city is v depressing) Plus, i dont think I would be applying to leeds as they require a B in olevel math and I had a C.
Just double checking that you are aware of how different Birkbeck is?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Isn't Birkbeck a night school?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In practice most universities accept students with grades below their offer and the vast majority of courses are in clearing every year. The reality is that if you end up with BBB there will be universities available in clearing. You might well end up being accepted from Liverpool with BBB. You really dont need somewhere lower than ABB as an insurance. If you do want to go lower than that you could look at Northumberland, Sheffield Hallam or Liverpool John Moores although you might be better using the ones already suggested. As far as Scottish universities I dont really know enough to help you but Aberdeen does have quite a good reputation.

Why are you looking into Birkbeck when all your other universities are in the North of the UK.
tehreemfatima6
Rep:
?
Oh alright. My only problem with clearing is that in the end when you don’t get the grades, you have to choose a course which you don’t like or is completely useless as of what career you want to go in. And yes I’m aware of birkbeck as it has night classes. I still have to choose two more universities and I don’t think I’ll choose Aberdeen because I’ve heard the city is really depressing.
tehreemfatima6
Rep:
?
My goal university would be Manchester, I hope they would still consider me if I am unable to meet the requirements.
Last edited by tehreemfatima6; 2 months ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh alright. My only problem with clearing is that in the end when you don’t get the grades, you have to choose a course which you don’t like or is completely useless as of what career you want to go in. And yes I’m aware of birkbeck as it has night classes. I still have to choose two more universities and I don’t think I’ll choose Aberdeen because I’ve heard the city is really depressing.
If you want a much lower offer then are you still limited to the North of England or big cities. Given your predicted grades it would be very odd to see you achieving below BBB. if you decide you want lower you are probably going to need to look at former polytechnics should you want a big city. In terms of Northern cities you could look at Northumberland in Newcastle, Sheffield Hallam in Sheffield, Leeds Beckett in Leeds, Manchester Met in Manchester or Liverpool John Moores in Liverpool. Personally I suspect you could look at Manchester as firm and Liverpool as your insurance and look at Sheffield as one of your options even if it is the same grades. It is a biggish city like you want.
University of Sheffield Alumni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi tehreemfatima6,

Based on your predicted A-level grades, I would encourage you to consider Sheffield as an option for your 5th UCAS choice. You can read more about our BA Business Management course in our online prospectus, or check out our other courses in the Management School here.

Sheffield Management School has lots of great advantages to it, including lots of support with careers and employability, as well as Triple Crown Accreditation and opportunities to get involved in student-led projects such as Enactus.

Plus Sheffield is great place to live, with so much going on for students to get involved in. Personally, I loved being part of student societies available via the Students' Union (No.1 in the UK!) - there's over 360 to choose from in every hobby imaginable, so you're spoiled for choice. Both locals and students are really friendly, and there's a really strong community feel (both on-campus and online).

I really do understand your worries and concerns about clearing, I know I had similar thoughts when applying to uni! I would just like to reassure you that even if you do drop grades compared to what you are predicted, both your firm and insurance choice would consider your application again carefully before making any decisions. If you do find yourself in clearing on results day, remember that there's lots of options still available, with lots of support available both from your school/college and UCAS. Many universities also run clearing open days, allowing you to find out more and think over any offers you receive before making a decision.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions - I was a student at Sheffield for 4 years and live locally, so know both the university and city well

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology (2016-19)
MSc Human and Molecular Genetics (2019-20)
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni)
Hi tehreemfatima6,

Based on your predicted A-level grades, I would encourage you to consider Sheffield as an option for your 5th UCAS choice. You can read more about our BA Business Management course in our online prospectus, or check out our other courses in the Management School here.

Sheffield Management School has lots of great advantages to it, including lots of support with careers and employability, as well as Triple Crown Accreditation and opportunities to get involved in student-led projects such as Enactus.

Plus Sheffield is great place to live, with so much going on for students to get involved in. Personally, I loved being part of student societies available via the Students' Union (No.1 in the UK!) - there's over 360 to choose from in every hobby imaginable, so you're spoiled for choice. Both locals and students are really friendly, and there's a really strong community feel (both on-campus and online).

I really do understand your worries and concerns about clearing, I know I had similar thoughts when applying to uni! I would just like to reassure you that even if you do drop grades compared to what you are predicted, both your firm and insurance choice would consider your application again carefully before making any decisions. If you do find yourself in clearing on results day, remember that there's lots of options still available, with lots of support available both from your school/college and UCAS. Many universities also run clearing open days, allowing you to find out more and think over any offers you receive before making a decision.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions - I was a student at Sheffield for 4 years and live locally, so know both the university and city well

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology (2016-19)
MSc Human and Molecular Genetics (2019-20)
Unfortunately Sheffield require a B in GCSE maths and the OP only has a C.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Unfortunately Sheffield require a B in GCSE maths and the OP only has a C.
OP should be retaking Maths in the summer to give more options.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
OP should be retaking Maths in the summer to give more options.
Tell her that, not me. 😃
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (393)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed