Durham 2nd/3rd year accommodation - cost? links with colleges?

Watch
Beebopp
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi,

Can anyone please tell me what happens with student accommodation in the 2nd and 3rd year please? Is it readily available in Durham, is affordable accommodation further out? Can anyone share an idea odf costs? I've also heard that colleges such as St Johns have their own student accommodation for 2nd and 3rd years, is this true and does this apply to any other colleges?

Any advice appreciated.
Anonymous #1
Report 9 months ago
Just done this with my child, who's a first year. To get a nice room in a decent house, it seems to be about 120 - 130 a week, plus bills. You can get bills included too, and cheaper places if you don't mind so much about how fancy the house is. Closer to town / uni means higher prices and usually smaller houses. Popular student areas are Viaduct, Claypath and St. Giles. There are plenty of houses, but competition is fierce. You'll need to find a group of people to share with and start looking for houses early November, and definitely sign a lease before Christmas, if you want a decent choice of houses. Agents are used to working with students, and will guide you through the process. The closer in you go the more expensive it is, so it depends whether you value location / amenities / cost as to where you'll end up. Hope this helps.
2childmum!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Colleges vary as to whether they have room for 2nd/3rd years - I think the majority of students live out in the second year. St John's has rooms for 3rd/4th years, but Trevelyan doesn't - you would need to check with other colleges as they will all be different.

DS has just graduated this summer. He paid about £100 week in both his second and third years (and lived back in college for his 4th) living about a 1/2 hour walk to the science site, through the city. In his second year he didn't sign a contract until January but most of his friends had found somewhere by Christmas - Durham does seem to be particularly early for finding accommodation
Beebopp
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by 2childmum!)
Colleges vary as to whether they have room for 2nd/3rd years - I think the majority of students live out in the second year. St John's has rooms for 3rd/4th years, but Trevelyan doesn't - you would need to check with other colleges as they will all be different.

DS has just graduated this summer. He paid about £100 week in both his second and third years (and lived back in college for his 4th) living about a 1/2 hour walk to the science site, through the city. In his second year he didn't sign a contract until January but most of his friends had found somewhere by Christmas - Durham does seem to be particularly early for finding accommodation
Really helpful many thanks.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just done this with my child, who's a first year. To get a nice room in a decent house, it seems to be about 120 - 130 a week, plus bills.
I'd say this massively varies tbh, I'm paying just over £100 including bills this year in a really nice house but it's not Viaduct (which in particular is extremely expensive for what you get), or particularly close to science site (about 25 minute walk) which is what pushes the price up. I've signed for next year at £91/week including bills for somewhere a little bit further away (and admittedly not quite as nice as this year), but essentially you want to find a group that has similar thoughts on money as you! If you do you can definitely get cheaper than 120/week.
My house costs less each for 52 weeks as my self catered college did for 39 weeks too so that's worth considering.

Most colleges do have some accommodation for later years, often final years have priority on it, but certainly at my (fairly large) college I think basically everyone who wanted it got it for second year Most people do live out though so it's worth considering that when you're making a choice. In massively broad terms it is more expensive the closer your get, but equally you get gems where for instance a local private landlord might charge less for a near identical house next door done by a letting agency because the private landlord does everything themselves and the landlord for the one with the letting agency wants the same amount of money before the letting agency's cut!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads