The Student Room Group

Religious studies or sociology? A- levels

I’m trying to decide between religion, philosophy and ethic or sociology as my 3rd a-level. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by eleanorburge
I’m trying to decide between religion, philosophy and ethic or sociology as my 3rd a-level. Any advice?

Personally, I would tell you to go for what you think you'll enjoy most and get a good grade in. religious studies and philosophy&ethics are really similar. Sociology is all about society. I am currently doing english lit, sociology and health and social. Sociology is really good so far, it is just a lot of theorists and theories to remember but if you keep up to date with your work, go over it regularly and make revision resources, you should be fine. I do like sociology a lot, it is easy to understand if you like knowing about society, different aspects, crime, education, traditional views etc, but honestly, choose what you think you will do well on and enjoy the most!

Hi @eleanorburge

I personally did Sociology (alongside History and English lang lit) and I absolutely loved it! It was my favourite subject and kind of provided a breather from my other subjects. I found it really fun and thought provoking- it's an essay based subject with loads of theories. There's also a section on research methods and sometimes you get to include stats in your answer. I would absolutely recommend it :yy:

I had friends who did both Sociology and Philosophy and they found Philosophy to be a bit more technical and less enjoyable than Sociology- but that's just their experience!

Hope this helps :smile:

I personally did rs and sociology only up to GCSE level and I really did enjoy sociology, but I ended up switching to psychology at the last minute. My friends who take sociology a level really enjoy it and say it's basically an extension of what you do at GCSE so if it's anything like that it would be really interesting.

It would be good to keep in mind that some unis don't like rs as an a level but don't by any means let that out you off. It's about your interests and the more you like your subject the better grade you'll get.

I don't know anyone that does philosophy and ethics so I can't advise you on that sorry :frown:

The most important thing is to choose what you enjoy and everything will fall into place😀
Just out of interest, what other subjects have you chosen? It would be good to see what subjects go well with them.
Original post by Tursiga
Personally, I would tell you to go for what you think you'll enjoy most and get a good grade in. religious studies and philosophy&ethics are really similar. Sociology is all about society. I am currently doing english lit, sociology and health and social. Sociology is really good so far, it is just a lot of theorists and theories to remember but if you keep up to date with your work, go over it regularly and make revision resources, you should be fine. I do like sociology a lot, it is easy to understand if you like knowing about society, different aspects, crime, education, traditional views etc, but honestly, choose what you think you will do well on and enjoy the most!

Thank you for the advice. Religion philosophy and ethics are all one a-level, I should have made that clearer! I feel I’ll do better in sociology as a friend who did both found rpe much harder than sociology. But part of me thinks I shouldn’t just go for the easier option, although I find sociology interesting. What are you planning on doing at uni?
Original post by UniofGreenwich
Hi @eleanorburge

I personally did Sociology (alongside History and English lang lit) and I absolutely loved it! It was my favourite subject and kind of provided a breather from my other subjects. I found it really fun and thought provoking- it's an essay based subject with loads of theories. There's also a section on research methods and sometimes you get to include stats in your answer. I would absolutely recommend it :yy:

I had friends who did both Sociology and Philosophy and they found Philosophy to be a bit more technical and less enjoyable than Sociology- but that's just their experience!

Hope this helps :smile:

I feel it could be a breather too as my other options are quite content heavy. I have a friend who said the same thing, so I’m leaning towards sociology. Thank you 😊
Original post by Starrynight23
I personally did rs and sociology only up to GCSE level and I really did enjoy sociology, but I ended up switching to psychology at the last minute. My friends who take sociology a level really enjoy it and say it's basically an extension of what you do at GCSE so if it's anything like that it would be really interesting.

It would be good to keep in mind that some unis don't like rs as an a level but don't by any means let that out you off. It's about your interests and the more you like your subject the better grade you'll get.

I don't know anyone that does philosophy and ethics so I can't advise you on that sorry :frown:

The most important thing is to choose what you enjoy and everything will fall into place😀
Just out of interest, what other subjects have you chosen? It would be good to see what subjects go well with them.

I’m currently doing rs gcse but I’ve never done sociology at all before so I’m not exactly sure what it’s like, which is why I’m hesitant to choose it. Thank you for the advice- the other 2 subjects I’ve chose are biology & psychology!
I’m currently doing rs gcse but I’ve never done sociology at all before so I’m not exactly sure what it’s like, which is why I’m hesitant to choose it. Thank you for the advice- the other 2 subjects I’ve chose are biology & psychology!

Ooh well sociology would go very well with them and the statistical side overlaps with psychology quite a bit! If you think you'll like psychology you'll like sociology - they're also similar in terms of exam technique so that's a bonus
Reply 8
Thank you for the advice. Religion philosophy and ethics are all one a-level, I should have made that clearer! I feel I’ll do better in sociology as a friend who did both found rpe much harder than sociology. But part of me thinks I shouldn’t just go for the easier option, although I find sociology interesting. What are you planning on doing at uni?

i’m not sure yet tbh, ahah maybe sociology, nursing, criminology, law or something else like a therapist, but we’ll see when the times nearer haha, people tend to find rpe harder, i have a friend who does it and she regrets picking it because she ended up not finding it interesting and it’s just too hard but she also does sociology and really enjoys that. It’s not an easy option if you find it interesting, you’ll do so much well if you know your gonna enjoy the course for 2 years and know you’ll be motivated to revise it trust me. I’m doing mocks next week and ugh everything is so hard, let me know what examboards you do for your subjects.
hope this helps x

Quick Reply

Latest