Sturggling with alevels but want to apply to high unis

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Im in year 12 and taking English Lit, Business and Psychology and working at a DCB respectively. I want to do law and want to apply to higher ranking unis (where the grades needed are mostly A*AA). A Levels are a lot harder than i thought and i know its early into the year but do you think i should lower my expectations i.e. look at lower unis? Thanks
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Im in year 12 and taking English Lit, Business and Psychology and working at a DCB respectively. I want to do law and want to apply to higher ranking unis (where the grades needed are mostly A*AA). A Levels are a lot harder than i thought and i know its early into the year but do you think i should lower my expectations i.e. look at lower unis? Thanks
It can sometimes take a little while to get into the "flow" of A levels, especially for essay subjects where you improve your technique as you go along, so I wouldn't be too worried at this point. While it is always good to have back-up options and not be too set on a certain uni/unis, you don't need to write off the possibility of applying to higher ranking unis at this point - just make sure you're really taking in the feedback you are given on homework/exams and trying to apply that constantly, and you should see your grades start to improve.
k8902
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
at the moment, I'd say focus on how you can work on improving any weaknesses you have rather than worrying over not having the grades for higher grade unis. I definitely struggled with my a levels at the beginning, but after a couple months my grades improved- just think it takes a little while to fully adjust to a levels I'd recommend asking your teachers for help if you're struggling with any content / writing essays etc. its good that you're planning on which unis you want to apply to, but you've still got some time so don't worry if you're not getting all A*/As now, theres plenty of time and im sure that once you consolidate your knowledge and fully adjust to a levels you'll be more confident good luck xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (14)
5.96%
Uncertainty around my education (26)
11.06%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (27)
11.49%
Lack of purpose or motivation (35)
14.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (14)
5.96%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
2.98%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (22)
9.36%
Financial worries (15)
6.38%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (7)
2.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (16)
6.81%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.55%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (29)
12.34%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (17)
7.23%

Watched Threads