lilyhundre
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I was wondering is a dietitian a good career I’ve always been into helping people and I like fitness would that be a good job, what gcses should I pick, what a levels and do I need a degree
faizanarshad360
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lilyhundre)
I was wondering is a dietitian a good career I’ve always been into helping people and I like fitness would that be a good job, what gcses should I pick, what a levels and do I need a degree
A dietician is a great career. Dietitians diagnose and treat people with nutrition problems, and help people make healthy lifestyle and dietary decisions.
The starting salary is around £24,907, with an experienced dietician earning £37,890. You will typically work 38 - 40 hours a week and may occasionally have to work on weekends.

There are 3 main pathways to becoming a dietician:

A University Course:

You'll need a degree or postgraduate qualification in dietetics or human nutrition, accredited by the British Dietetic Association.
The uni highest on the league table for this subject (Surrey) requires these A-Levels:
  1. Biology
  2. Applied Science, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Psychology, Nutrition and Food Science, Physical Education or Geography
  3. A free choice

In terms of GCSE's you need English Language and Maths, however, it would be sensible to take a selection of the subjects listed above.

An Apprenticeship:

You may be able to do a dietitian degree apprenticeship.
You'll usually need 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, preferably including biology, for a degree apprenticeship.
In terms of GCSE's, nothing is required, but it would be sensible to have biology.

Working towards this role:

You could work as a dietetic assistant and study part-time for a degree to qualify as a dietitian.

I hope this helps
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lilyhundre)
Hey lilyhundre,

I'm glad to hear you're interested and thinking of Dietetics as a career.

I'm a current Dietetic student if you have any questions you would like to ask!

Following on from what faizanarshad360, separate sciences is a good start, with GCSE PE if you're interested! I did Food Tech and PE so I was able to learn about nutrition in both subjects which helped to provide me with some knowledge prior to Dietetics! However, you don't necessarily need to do those exact GCSE subjects. An interest in science would help as this will influence your A-Level options. For instance, I did Biology and Chemistry because they were both acceptable for Dietetics (Food and Nutrition at the time) and then I did Psychology. For some unis, Chemistry is not required while for some it's essential and others it's ideal but not essential. The main course the unis look for is A-Level Biology.
And yes, a degree is essential.

I hope this helps!

Veronica
BSc Dietetics Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (252)
57.01%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.99%

Watched Threads