_.maddz.x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My school doesn't offer an a-level I really want to do (classics), and no other local schools do either. Is it worth trying to do it independently? Can any independent students please explain what the process is like? And anyone who has done classics comment on whether it is worth it?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not a student but classics is fun.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
its not worth doing independently unless you really think you've got the dedication and motivation to teach yourself what a trained teacher ought to be doing

classics is something you can casually get into yourself though since its topics are the topic of many literature and documentation - books, videos etc
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What would you do instead, and would not doing it have an impact on the degrees you could go on to study?
_.maddz.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Not a student but classics is fun.
thanks!
_.maddz.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by becausethenight)
What would you do instead, and would not doing it have an impact on the degrees you could go on to study?
I had a conversation with my teacher and he offered to help me do an EPQ on classics, so now I think I'm okay. I've always entertained on doing a joint history and classics degree, but since i've had virtually no experience with doing classics ever, I have no idea how it would go if that makes sense?
_.maddz.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
its not worth doing independently unless you really think you've got the dedication and motivation to teach yourself what a trained teacher ought to be doing

classics is something you can casually get into yourself though since its topics are the topic of many literature and documentation - books, videos etc
thank you so much !
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _.maddz.x)
I had a conversation with my teacher and he offered to help me do an EPQ on classics, so now I think I'm okay. I've always entertained on doing a joint history and classics degree, but since i've had virtually no experience with doing classics ever, I have no idea how it would go if that makes sense?
That sounds like a good plan; you can also go to uni open days and taster sessions to see if that would be the degree for you Not committing to an extra A level you don’t need is sensible and you can definitely research Classics in your spare time - lots of people study a subject for the first time at uni!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _.maddz.x)
You could do that.

My son is currently studying History and Ancient History at Exeter without having an A level in Ancient History (or even History, weirdly)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (124)
62.31%
I don't have everything I need (75)
37.69%

Watched Threads