dankiepankie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Is sunderland any good? I've applied there for medicine because it's much less competitive than other schools but if anyone has any form of experience with Sunderland, what do you think of it? Hows the campus, the city, the teaching and the people? Looking on old posts from a few years ago a lot of people say Sunderland is very bad. Has this changed?
Thanks!
DreamyDoc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It being a new medical school is still building a reputation, but from my experience having done a summer school there and visiting the campus several times including for interviews, the campus and facilities are nice and modern and the staff and students are really friendly and helpful.

As the med school is very new and quite small, their staff are very supportive and open to suggestions as they are very dedicated to having their medical students succeed.

Sunderland itself is an okay city, it really depends on what kind of persone you are, but there is plenty to do as a student although even though it’s not as big as some others. I personally liked how close it was to places like Newcastle and the fact that it’s close to the sea.

If I were you I’d do a bit more research on their website, I believe they have an online student mentoring scheme where you can ask current students, including some medics about studying there..

Also, research what makes the med school unique, I won’t do it for you but for example, one of the reasons I applied there was the interprofesional learning aspect and teaching styles they use. I also admire how they are trying to diversify medicine and break down the barriers lots of prospective med students face.If you didn't guess, I chose it as my firm choice having applied last year but I’ve deferred my offer to 2021 entry
Last edited by DreamyDoc; 2 months ago
dankiepankie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by DreamyDoc)
It being a new medical school is still building a reputation, but from my experience having done a summer school there and visiting the campus several times including for interviews, the campus and facilities are nice and modern and the staff and students are really friendly and helpful.

As the med school is very new and quite small, their staff are very supportive and open to suggestions as they are very dedicated to having their medical students succeed.

Sunderland itself is an okay city, it really depends on what kind of persone you are, but there is plenty to do as a student although even though it’s not as big as some others. I personally liked how close it was to places like Newcastle and the fact that it’s close to the sea.

If I were you I’d do a bit more research on their website, I believe they have an online student mentoring scheme where you can ask current students, including some medics about studying there..

Also, research what makes the med school unique, I won’t do it for you but for example, one of the reasons I applied there was the interprofesional learning aspect and teaching styles they use. I also admire how they are trying to diversify medicine and break down the barriers lots of prospective med students face.If you didn't guess, I chose it as my firm choice having applied last year but I’ve deferred my offer to 2021 entry
Thanks for that, really informative 🤙🏻
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Can't speak for the medical school but it is not the nicest place to live.
concernedLMAO
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by dankiepankie)
Is sunderland any good? I've applied there for medicine because it's much less competitive than other schools but if anyone has any form of experience with Sunderland, what do you think of it? Hows the campus, the city, the teaching and the people? Looking on old posts from a few years ago a lot of people say Sunderland is very bad. Has this changed?
Thanks!
Bad reputation overall. I have no idea how good/bad the medicine course is BUT it shouldn't have an effect on your career like it would for law.
DreamyDoc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by concernedLMAO)
Bad reputation overall. I have no idea how good/bad the medicine course is BUT it shouldn't have an effect on your career like it would for law.
Medical school is medical school wherever you go, they have to meet lots of high requirements to be able to teach a course like that.

I agree with you in terms of law and some other courses I’ve spoken to people about, they don’t rank the same as places like Russel group unis who also have medical schools for those subjects that rankings matter in for your future career
Last edited by DreamyDoc; 2 months ago
concernedLMAO
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by DreamyDoc)
Medical school is medical school wherever you go, they have to meet lots of high requirements to be able to teach a course like that.

I agree with you in terms of law and some other courses I’ve spoken to people about, they don’t rank the same as places like Russel group unis who also have medical schools for those subjects which ranking of courses matters more for your career
Yeah the ranking shouldn't matter at all for medicine.
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dankiepankie)
Thanks!
Personally, I think the campus is great, small and very friendly but there's plenty going on and there are great links to all the nearby attractions.
I had a great teaching experience and always felt that I could go to my tutor with any queries I had. I'm not sure where all the negative comments are coming from regarding the city, personally, I've never had any problems and actually found it really friendly and diverse.
Have you attended any online open days to get a better idea of what to expect? They have one coming up in December that you may be interested in, you'll also get to chat with current students to get more insight.
We also have a Medicine Digital Ambassador that you can chat to online, a link to her online profile can be found here

Charlotte
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (68)
17.94%
No one else does (120)
31.66%
I'm embarrassed about my background (41)
10.82%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (128)
33.77%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.58%
I don't have a camera (9)
2.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
1.85%

Watched Threads